Plug In America Newsletter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

PIA_Logo.jpg

It's been said that 2010 is the "year of the electric car," and this month's Plug In America newsletter is certainly consistent with that declaration. Cars are being ordered, new charging infrastructure is being deployed, and you can actually go to a racetrack this weekend to watch electrically-powered vehicles compete at a sanctioned event. Not that long ago, such developments would have been considered far over the horizon. Well, the event horizon is upon us.

Plug In America was there when the latest in charging stations were dedicated in both Southern and Northern California. Supporter and co-founder Dave Raboy recounts the story of placing his much-anticipated order for a Nissan Leaf. Lastly, there's an eco-event on May 19th in Napa that is to-die-for. I'm excited to share these stories with you this month. As always, I thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for the work we do at Plug In America to help make these game-changing developments possible.

Dan Davids
President

The First Public J1772: Another Leap Closer to Plugging In

The first Level 2 public J1772 charging station in the world went operational on Monday, May 3, some 10 miles from Sacramento Airport in Woodside, CA. As readers of this newsletter will know, this is a historic achievement, as J1772 is the universal standard that will charge all the coming new plug-ins in the U.S.

Tom Dowling, charging infrastructure manager with the Electric Auto Assn. and long-time EV driver (12 years!), had the J1772 interface installed. The charger itself, is a ClipperCreek model CS-40 with a 208 volt capacity.
FirstJ1772.jpg

Of course, there are no vehicles for the station to charge at the moment because there are no J1772-capable cars on the road yet. But at press time, Tom expected an early Leaf, slated to visit UC Davis, to visit the charging station for a photo op and a charge in mid-May. In a tantalizingly few months, there should be lots of J1772-capable cars craving a charge at the station.

"This installation of an SAE J1172(tm) charging station is an important milestone" Tom says. "Here we have a fully UL-approved charging station, cable, and connector. Suppliers are ready to provide fully-approved equipment in volume. We're actually ready for vehicles before the vehicles arrive. We don't have the problems the BMW Mini E trial had, where the vehicles arrived before all the approvals were complete, and we have a new universal standard connector, not a vehicle-manufacturer-specific connector. Now all we need are the vehicles."

The J1772 location also boasts the first public Tesla charging station, a ClipperCreek TS-90, installed in '09 as well as legacy charging stations for Toyota's RAV4 EV and Ford's Ranger EV.

Get A Charge Out of Shopping

Plug In America lent some real-life authenticity to a recent ribbon cutting for what was billed as the first shopping-center installation of a networked charging station-albeit a slow one at present

The ceremony took place at the swanky South Coast Plaza mall in Orange County, CA where board member Linda Nicholes charged her radiant red Tesla Roadster at Coulomb Technologies' new CT1000 charger. It's located in the sprawling mall's underground parking structure beneath a Crate and Barrel Home Store at 3333 Bear St. in Costa Mesa, but future use of the charger will be restricted to paid members of Coulomb's ChargePoint Network.

Linda found the charger's 120 volt receptacle a bit cramped for her mobile charging-cord plug, due to some unfortunately placed plastic nodes. However, she borrowed a slender adaptor from charging expert Stefano Paris to successfully feed her Roadster.
StefandRaoul.jpg

"It was definitely a slow charge," Linda said, "but Coulomb assured me that the 120 volt would be upgraded to a level-2, J1772 universal standard."
SouthCoastPlaza.jpg

Ribbon-cutting duties were shared by actor-environmentalist Ed Begley, Jr., Enid Joffe, president of Clean Fuel Connection, Coulomb's California distributor, and Anton Segerstrom, South Coast Plaza's general manager. "Anton told me that Coulomb's charger is just a start," Linda said, "that as more plug-in cars hit the road, the shopping center will install more stations."

Speaking to the small crowd gathered, Segerstrom highlighted other green measures taken by the shopping center. Begley hinted that putting a charging station at the mall was a wise financial move. While charging, he said, he can shop, and the amount he can drop can be considerable (the upscale center enjoys the second highest sales-density in California at $800 per square feet).
Joffe juiced up her company-owned BMW Mini-E from a separate much faster ClipperCreek CS-40 charger next to Coulomb's. Plug In America volunteer extraordinaire Stefano Paris likewise grabbed 9.1 kWh for his own Mini-E.

Other EV drivers in attendance included Toyota RAV-4 EV drivers Doug Korthof (who appeared in "Who Killed the Electric Car?") and wife Lisa Rosen. Orange County Tesla owner, Mark Cross, brought his red Roadster, and Naiche Lujan was there with his team from Project ReinCARnate, an EV conversion and outreach project. Plug In America board member Richard Kelly brought his son Raoul to witness the bit of history in the making.

"It's like a little haven of efficiency among a sea of SUVs," Kelly said.
mall photo courtesy of Don L from Flikr Creative Commons - thank you

Electric Motorcycle Grand Prix

The EV community can celebrate another historic milestone happening May 14-16: North America's first zero-carbon motorcycle grand prix at Infineon Raceway, Sonoma, Calif. Jeremy Burne, U.S. director of the TTXGP eGrand Prix, gave us a preview in a Plug In America podcast. Take a listen here.
TTXGP2009IsleofMan.jpg

He paints a dynamic picture of the race that uses cutting-edge electric technology to deliver "thrills and passion" to spectators and riders alike. Get a discount on admission here, and be sure to stop by the Plug In America booth and say hello! If you can't make it to the Sonoma event, you may be able to catch the EV bike race in Wisconsin, Virginia or Ontario Canada - all listed on the event website.

I Reserved a Nissan Leaf
By Dave Raboy

I put dibs in for a Nissan Leaf on April 20, Day One of reservations for the new EV. Having owned an EV since 2000 and helped co-found Plug In America, I could barely believe the moment had even arrived. Our work's not over, though, as it will take all of our efforts to make sure that this time, EVs are here to stay. The run-up to my reservation was nerve wracking. An April 17 email let me know to expect another message on April 20 allowing me to actually reserve a car. I was half expecting a third missive instructing me to go to a parking garage and look for a guy in a trench coat.
The day finally arrived. We were to receive our "go" email sometime between 1 and 6 p.m. EST. But around 2 p.m. EST, I sent an email to several Plug In America friends to see if anyone had gotten their notification. The hours rolled by but no one on the East or West Coast had heard a thing. Nissan assured me the emails were going out, but they said they were a little backed up. Then, while on the phone asking their support crew why the email wasn't arriving, as if by magic, at 2:38 PST it arrived.
I quickly skipped through a seven-question survey, verified my address, and up popped model and color choices. I wasn't actually prepared for this. It was incredibly cool, but now, on the spot I had to pick a model and color? Thoughts began racing. What if my wife doesn't like the color I want? Am I stuck with it--and her wrath? Should I pay extra for cool features? Oh hell, I chose silver and took the SL for extra features.
Hopefully by the end of the year a Leaf will be sitting in our garage, right next to our 1999 Ford Ranger EV with NIMH batteries. Yep, it's still going and still gets more than 60 miles to a charge. And when my Leaf arrives, with thanks to Plug In America for keeping the dream alive, we will have two pieces of history: one amazing EV from the past and another representing the future.
Have you reserved your Leaf yet? Starting May 15, everyone may reserve a Nissan Leaf for a refundable $99 deposit. Until then, only those who have previously registered with Nissan may do so. Don't be left out of the rEVolution!

Plug In America Members Offered Discount to Napa Valley Eco-EVent
TeslaCurve.jpg

Plug In America co-founder Marc Geller and his RAV4 EV will be special guests at A Taste of KI, a high-end eco event at The Carneros resort in Napa Valley on May 19. One of the event's expert speakers, Marc will deliver the latest news on the EV scene and preside over the Plug In America vehicle corral. The event will also feature a Tesla Roadster, available for rides, Zero Motorcycles, Brammo and two Coulomb chargers. All Plug In America members are now offered a 50% discount on tickets, available here. Just use this Plug In America promotional code: PIA. Talk shop and share with other EV drivers in our vehicle corral and enjoy divine organic food, Biodynamic wine and experience a range of other sustainable lifestyle solutions. A Taste of KI is a sneak-peek sampling of a larger event, The KI, coming to the San Francisco Bay Area in August. For more information about The KI, click here.

Copyright © 2005-2010 Plug In America. All rights reserved. Car logo used by permission from the Electric Auto Association.
Any reproduction of this newsletter, in whole or in part, must be attributed to Plug In America and linked to www.pluginamerica.org.

PIA_Logo.jpg

As another month goes by, we're that much closer to delivery of new electric vehicles from major manufacturers. Even though it's been a long wait, I admit to being anxious for the remaining time to fly by. One thing I'm not anxious about is the range of my electric car. I've driven my RAV4 EV for over 2 1/2 years in Seattle, where there has been no public charging available, yet I've never run out of charge. Linda Nicholes addresses the myth of range anxiety by sharing some of her personal EV history, below.

While modern EV history doesn't span that many years, the accounts of those involved in promoting the movement represent quite a compelling collective history. Read on to learn how we're capturing that history for your enjoyment. This month's newsletter also includes the good news that our youth are pretty enthused about EVs, too: Plug In America was recently engulfed by 6,500 teenagers at an L.A. clean-air event.

As always, we thank you for supporting Plug In America. Tell someone new about us today!

Dan Davids
President

Range Anxiety: Myth or Fact?

I have a big time range-anxiety confession to make: In 2001, when my friend Lisa Rosen offered to let me borrow her EV1 for one gas-free week, I was frankly unsettled. Nice offer, but what if I ran out of juice? I might be late to work or miss an appointment or get stranded by the side of the road or . . . my imagination ran wild.

So WHO exactly am I now to judge anyone else's range anxiety? I admit it. I have developed an unbecoming attitude of arrogance concerning my nearly 10-year history with electric cars. I've been known to cast judgmental aspersions in the general direction of the EV meek, mild or uninitiated -- easily and conveniently forgetting the hysterical three-dimensional range anxiety I wrestled with back in the day.

So how did I conquer my anxiety without Xanax? Something strange happened during what I now call "the week of the EV1." The tension started to just slip away as easily as the car slid down the freeway. I enjoyed masterfully whipping Lisa's 120-voltage cord out of the EV1's trunk and plugging it into a standard outlet in the parking-structure wall of the courthouse where I worked as a court reporter. I felt like some kind of high-tech Charlie's Angel for mainlining electricity and couldn't wait to glide sleekly and silently home at workday's end.

The question then arose: Should I throw my husband Howard's professional hat in the ring to beg, plead and bargain for a fleet-leased RAV4 EV? He runs an optometric business and could have qualified. William Korthof, owner of EE Solar, solved my "dilemma" and abruptly halted such inane pussy footing around. He actually RENTED a RAV for me to drive for another week of plug-in bliss. Who needs Xanax when you have a mentor like Lisa to encourage a whole new way of experiencing transportation and a solar installer like William to insist upon it?

Love. I fell head-over-heels in love with electric cars. And gas stations blurred blissfully into my own personal past. Forever and ever.

It can happen to you, too.

Amen,
Linda Nicholes

Teens Get the EV Message

Nothing will ever mitigate the unspeakable tragedy in the Gulf Coast, the potentially permanent damage it will do. But, like so many misfortunes and crises, it brings opportunity. In Plug In America's case, making the case for electric propulsion may never have been easier.

The fact quickly came to light at "A World We Can Change," a recent clean-air expo of the South Coast Air Quality Management District that drew some 6,500 high schoolers to L.A.'s cavernous Convention Center.

As streams of preoccupied teens approached our booth, nearly all we had to say was "no gasoline, no oil spills." The fresh-faced students seemed to get the point without any further convincing or cajoling and didn't hesitate a lick to add their names to our petition urging auto companies to manufacture EVs. We amassed almost 100 signatures in a few hours, nearly more than ever in such a short time.

Plug In America also contributed a Tesla to the event's eight-vehicle, indoor alt-fuel parade and thanks to Randy Jackson of Orange County, CA, who brought his radiant red Roadster. The parade included a BMW Mini E and an AC Propulsion eBox. The cars glided silently in front of thousands of seated teens as a bass-heavy beat amped the palpable sense of excitement. Even more thrilling: the idea that, provided all goes as planned, this would be one of our last such events. Soon, we won't be saying "they're coming." Soon, they'll be here in big numbers.

Mac Vs. PC? Or Gas vs. Electric?

If you received our recent email, you know that Plug In America is stepping up to educate consumers on the benefits of non-polluting vehicles with a series of humorous and informational Public Service Announcements (PSAs). The spots are based on the well-known Apple ads, but instead of "Mac vs. PC," we're all about "gas vs. electric." Thanks to our generous supporters, we not only reached but exceeded our goal of raising $6,500 to produce the spots!

This project is gaining momentum. It's not too late to get involved. If you want to be part of an ambitious quest to see if an eager nonprofit with clever ideas can counter million-dollar campaigns by Big Oil, please donate any amount you can to the Plug In America PSA fund. Donations at this stage will help us with marketing and distribution.

Hot Fun in the Summer Time

Kick back this summer with a special offer from Plug In America: two great books for the price of one! For a $10 donation (plus $3 flat rate shipping), we'll send you a print copy of our 2010 guide, "Charged Up & Ready To Roll: The Definitive Guide To Plug-in Electric Vehicles" ($8 value) plus a copy of the book that recounts the fascinating history of the past decade that led to our current EV era, "Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars That Will Recharge America" ($10 value). After reading these, you'll be electrified and ready for the new plug-in vehicles to debut later this year. Click here to take advantage of this great deal.
https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2711/shop/item.jsp?storefront_KEY=553&t=&store_item_KEY=2724
https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2711/shop/item.jsp?storefront_KEY=553&t=&store_item_KEY=1893

This dandy offer is good through Labor Day, 2010. And it's never too early to shop for the holidays for a good cause, no?

Copyright © 2005-2010 Plug In America. All rights reserved. Car logo used by permission from the Electric Auto Association.
Any reproduction of this newsletter, in whole or in part, must be attributed to Plug In America and linked to www.pluginamerica.org.

PIA_Logo.jpg

This month's newsletter summarizes Plug In America's varied activities on three fronts. First, Legislative Director Jay Friedland brings you up to speed with key accomplishments and efforts at the state and federal levels of government. EVs are about to be sold in greater numbers than ever before in history, so one might think Plug In America's long-standing battle to get cars on the road is won. Jay's work gives just a glimpse into the diverse policy initiatives that remain critical to the successful rollout of EVs and PHEVs, including purchase incentives, HOV-lane access and vehicle noisemakers.

Next is an update on the production of our highly anticipated Public Service Announcements. This project received tremendous backing from Plug In America supporters whose generous contributions helped defer production costs. Clearly, we have agreement that the time is right to shine a light on the benefits of driving electric.

Last, but not least, is a reminder about the upcoming Plug-In 2010 conference in San Jose, Calif. This event is in its third year, and Plug In America's participation continues to grow. We will have a booth on the exhibit floor and two speakers making presentations in the technical sessions. We also have volunteers and board members diligently following all session tracks to ensure that Plug In America remains the go-to source for the most up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge on EVs.

Thank you again for your continued support of our work.

Come visit us at Plug-In 2010!

Dan Davids
President

Legislative Action Update

It's been a very busy time on the Plug In America policy front, with major activity in Washington D.C. as well as in California and other states.

On July 6, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed AB1500, extending carpool-lane (HOV) access for EVs through 2015. This was one of our top priorities--a big win for our legislative efforts in California.

We continue to push for passage of California's related SB535, as well. This bill would extend HOV access to plug-in hybrids such as GM's Volt.

In other state news, we are pushing for increased funding to the California Air Resources Board's (CARB) Clean Vehicle Rebate Program. This critical program allows for a rebate of up to $5,000 on battery EVs, a $3,000 rebate for plug-in hybrids, and a $1,500 rebate for zero-emission motorcycles. Plug In America was a major contributor to the policy that put this program in place and at that time we pushed for maximum funding. Unfortunately, its total allotment of $5 million translates to less than 1,000 cars (after accounting for program support costs), so this critical program needs a bigger budget.

CARB is also in the process of revising the Zero Emission Vehicle program, so watch for new developments as that process moves toward a December 2010 resolution.

At the federal level, we are working to ensure that plug-in vehicles are supported by any new energy or climate legislation. One key bill, the Electric Vehicle Deployment Act, is moving through the Senate as S.3442 and through the House as H.R.5442. These bills will expand tax incentives and spur regional EV growth. We'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile, there are at least three bills moving through Congress that would provide $3 billion more in manufacturing incentives. We're working hard to make sure these become law. Finally, there's the proposed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act, which contains an amendment that would require hybrids and EVs to make noise for pedestrians. We are working to modify this bill as it moves through Congress so that there is time to weigh the impact of noise pollution as well as pedestrian safety.

On the incentives front, Hawaii just became the latest state to offer significant incentives for plug-in purchases. Hawaii residents will be eligible to receive a 20% rebate of up to $4,500 on the purchase of a plug-in hybrid or EV. You can stay up to date on all of the federal and state incentives on our website by clicking here.

Stay tuned for more legislative updates and action alerts in the next several weeks. We'll need you to rally support!

And there's another way you can help. A generous supporter is providing a matching grant for donations specifically focused on enabling Plug In America to pursue the policy and legislative work that we do. A fund has been set up which will match your donations up to $15,000 on a dollar-for-dollar basis. If you believe -- as we do -- that federal and state policies are important to accelerate our country's shift to electric transportation, please donate today and get twice the bang for your buck. Your donation will make an even bigger impact than usual if you take advantage of this matching grant. Click here to donate.

PSA Update: In the Can!

By any measure, our Public Service Announcement (PSA) shoot was a huge success.

Our charged-up ensemble of over 50 volunteers showed up at a Santa Monica, CA sound stage to shoot seven 30-second spots over the course of a day. During breaks, Tesla rides were provided by Plug In America members Linda Nicholes and Earl Cox, who also chauffeured one of our "surprise" actors to and from the set. This actor, whose identity we'll reveal in good time, owns many fast cars and was duly impressed with the Tesla's wicked performance.

Eric Swenson, our director, lead the effort with terrific focus. "Hardworking script writers, makeup, wardrobe and prop professionals as well as actors donated 100% of their time, their skill and their charisma to the PSA production," Eric said. "The energy in the room was palpable."

Acting talent included long-time RAV4 EV driver and actor Marvin Campbell, starring in all the spots with actor Stephan Zimpel, who came on board excited to be part of the cause. Actresses and RAV4 EV drivers Colette Divine and J. Karen Thomas, who were seen in "Who Killed the Electric Car?" appeared in sparkling cameos.

The PSAs, written by Swenson and fellow Plug In America executive committee member Jeff U'Ren, are humorous and educational. Each one highlights a reason to go electric.

Many thanks to our generous members and supporters who donated their time and money to this project. We hope everyone enjoys them as much as we did making them! They should begin airing on television and the Internet at the end of summer.

Join Plug In America at Plug-In 2010 in San Jose, July 26-28

Plug-In 2010 is an industry-centric conference, but offers plenty for consumers, too. For those interested in getting their hands on an EV soon, the expo will exhibit the latest plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles, including the Chevy Volt, the Nissan Leaf, the Smart Fortwo electric drive and the 2010 Prius Plug-In.

Tuesday, July 27th is public night, where all may walk the exhibit floor to see the latest EV innovations and interact with vehicle and technology specialists. Admission is just $10 for access to the exhibit hall from 5:30-7:30 p.m. and a panel presentation from 7:30-9:30 p.m.

The interactive panel discussion will feature long-time EV proponents including Tesla Motors co-founder and former CEO Martin Eberhard, making his first appearance at the expo. For this panel, "Plug-In Hybrids and EVs: Getting the Message Out," Eberhard and other experts will talk about their experiences in crafting messages about the technology and discuss strategy with conference-goers.

"The panel's speakers will interact with the audience with the goal of helping the public learn what they can do to help shape a plugged-in future," said expo organizer Mindy Berman.

Plug-In America's President Dan Davids and Legislative Director Jay Friedland will address conference attendees on Wed., July 28 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. on separate panels: Jay's panel session: Electrification Incentives, Policies and Programs, Part 1: Current national policies and programs. Dan's panel session: Infrastructure, Part 1: Previous experience, costs and infrastructure requirements.
Whether you come for the Public Night or the full conference, be sure to stop by the Plug In America booth in the exhibit hall and say hello!

Summer Special

Don't let summer pass you by without taking advantage of Plug In America's special offer: two great books for the price of one!

For a $10 donation (plus $3 flat rate shipping), we'll send you a print copy of our 2010 guide, "Charged Up & Ready To Roll: The Definitive Guide To Plug-in Electric Vehicles" ($8 value) plus a copy of the book that recounts the fascinating history of the past decade that led to our current EV era, "Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars That Will Recharge America" ($10 value). Click here to take advantage of this special opportunity, which is good through Labor Day.
https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2711/shop/item.jsp?storefront_KEY=553&t=&store_item_KEY=2724
https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2711/shop/item.jsp?storefront_KEY=553&t=&store_item_KEY=1893

Back