Eco Mode gives me heavy foot syndrome!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

Hi guys,

So I have been driving Eco mode and I noticed that after you drive with it for a while your brain adjusts and I just drive with a heavier foot to not be too much of a nuisance to other cars in the slow lane. Funny it makes me think the extra miles get diluted once the heavy foot syndrome begins. The only thing i see stretching the miles now is that when I release the pedal the heavier regen kicks in instead of me being in D then trying to AIM when I should switch to Eco mode on a coming yellow or red light. I try to be conservative while driving in D. Basically like walking on egg shells, but perhaps not that bad. I am certainly not a fast driver but Eco mode gives me heavy foot syndrome!!!

You've correctly identified that the Eco mode does not limit your speed or acceleration, it just makes you move your foot further. There's no real economy involved in that if you don't have a physical or psychological aversion to moving your foot. :D

That being said, I love Eco mode because I strongly prefer a linear throttle response and want more precise speed control. It also does put limits on the power consumption of the HVAC system, which CAN have positive effect on economy.

Looks like you have a 2015? If so, remember that regen effects are controlled by B vs. D mode, not Eco. On older models Eco managed both functions.

Hello!

I bought the leaf a few weeks ago, but it is actually a 2013 :(. I'm starting to think Eco mode is now my 'City Mode' and D will just be my 'Sports mode' for when I get on the freeway or need to be speedy :) funny how that works! Btw did you guys read about the tesla's new ludicrous mode? geez that is one fast bunny ;( How come we don't get something like that on the leaf?!

NissanLeafCamper said:
Hello!

I bought the leaf a few weeks ago, but it is actually a 2013 :(. I'm starting to think Eco mode is now my 'City Mode' and D will just be my 'Sports mode' for when I get on the freeway or need to be speedy :) funny how that works! Btw did you guys read about the tesla's new ludicrous mode? geez that is one fast bunny ;( How come we don't get something like that on the leaf?!
I can think of over 80,000 reasons (P90D with Ludicrous mode starts at $119,200 :lol: ).

NissanLeafCamper said:
...Btw did you guys read about the tesla's new ludicrous mode? geez that is one fast bunny ;( How come we don't get something like that on the leaf?!

Because it would tear up the reduction gearbox and constant velocity joints, tires, suspension.... A boost in power means enhancing more than just the motor.

Looks like you have a 2015? If so, remember that regen effects are controlled by B vs. D mode, not Eco. On older models Eco managed both functions.

Once again, Eco does increase regen slightly. It just isn't as obvious as with B mode. As for not saving any juice, I usually drive with either heat or A/C running here in the changeable Northeast, so the 1500 watt limit Eco puts on them saves me power.

Nubo said:
That being said, I love Eco mode because I strongly prefer a linear throttle response and want more precise speed control.
This.
A thousand times this.

I wish every vehicle I owned allowed a modification to the pedal response. I really hate how most cars "jump" from a stop when I press the pedal just a tiny bit. I much prefer having better control to allow me to accelerate more smoothly.

+1. In my 2015 I love driving in Eco B mode. When I drive my wife's ICE I feel I am lurching all over the place. And the regen in B minimizes my need to use my brakes. And going into town I drive on the always empty frontage roads rather than the interstate, so impeding other drivers is not an issue. And of course going 42 or so rather than 70 adds to my economy.

LeftieBiker said:

Once again, Eco does increase regen slightly. It just isn't as obvious as with B mode.

I'm not concerned with "slightly". ;)

LeftieBiker said:

Once again, Eco does increase regen slightly. It just isn't as obvious as with B mode. As for not saving any juice, I usually drive with either heat or A/C running here in the changeable Northeast, so the 1500 watt limit Eco puts on them saves me power.

Thanks guys I forgot about that bit of truthful information :0. More regen is welcomed when placing the pedal on a break. I am driving strictly in Eco mode now. Feels better, but it does give me heavy foot syndrome. Though I now just rip the benefits of heavy foot syndrome when I go into my 'Poor Man's Sport Mode' called "D", and I just accelerate past people on the FWY :D.

I never use the heater since its summer time here in L.A. CA, and just extremely rarely use the cold A/C. I do use the fan though and unless the fan itself gets a power reduction ECO just doesn't provide anything there :p. Not that I run it full blast either. The most has been 4 bars when it was pretty hot.

Back