Ecopia EP422 tires suck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
I saw a BMW i3 the other day at Nissan HQ.

It has Ecopia Tires!! Apparently BMW don't think they suck.

I have had much better luck with my second set of Ecopias now that I am running then at just over 40psi. Makes a big difference to wear near the tire edge. I'm almost at the same mileage on this set and don't feel the urge to replace them as I did with the last set at this mileage.

like any tire, there are probably several different kinds. any details of specs on tires? keep in mind; OEM Ecopias on LEAFs have different specs than the ones you get at Goodyear (different load ratings)

The Ecopias on the i3 are a completely different model, size, and design than those on the Leaf. Comparing them to those on the Leaf is like comparing apples and ball bearings... They have a tread wear rating of 440 and a temperature and traction rating of A. They are also asymmetrical (a specific side has to be out), unlike the Leaf tires... I have a long-term i3 Rex loaner and I just went out and looked...

Here are the specifics:
Bridgestone Ecopia EP500
175/55R20
Serv. Desc: 85Q
UTQG: 440 A A

JPWhite said:
I saw a BMW i3 the other day at Nissan HQ.
It has Ecopia Tires!! Apparently BMW don't think they suck.

Love my Ecopias. 20k miles and still 8/32 left. I should easily get 40k out of them. The are GREAT in the snow. Quiet!!! The obviously do not stand up to any abuse but I will stay with them and the 89 rather than the 91. Leafs are harder on the left front tires due to torque so eventually on a rotate you need to move the rights to the left side. If you are going to beat them....get something else. I use factory air settings... Nice even wear...

69800 said:
Love my Ecopias. 20k miles and still 8/32 left. I should easily get 40k out of them. The are GREAT in the snow. Quiet!!! The obviously do not stand up to any abuse but I will stay with them and the 89 rather than the 91. Leafs are harder on the left front tires due to torque so eventually on a rotate you need to move the rights to the left side. If you are going to beat them....get something else. I use factory air settings... Nice even wear...

whose factory?

I tend to replace only 2 of my tires at a time - the hit on m/kwh isn't as great as when you replace all 4 old tires with new, not-broken-in tires. The last 2 tires I put onto my Leaf were Michelin Energy Savers - they seem to be about equivalent with regard to rolling resistance to the old worn-out Ecopias that they replaced, and the Energy Savers are not even 100% broken in yet. I had these tires on my Prius prior to the LEAF and they were far better tires (in every way) than the Goodyear Integrity tires that came with the Prius.

My 2011 Leaf is approaching 35k miles on the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia tires. Tread depth varies but they're down around 4/32 to 5/32, so I'll be in the market for new tires very soon. I don't drive too aggressively and I love the efficiency I get with these tires (around 5.0 mi/kwh on the dash). I do see some outer edge wear but I've been inflating to 40-42PSI for the past couple years.

I've read many of the tire threads on here but I haven't seen a lot of talk about the newer Ecopia EP422 with 91 load rating. Have Leaf owners tried these? Are they any different or better than my OEM's with 89 load rating? I don't mind splurging for a more expensive tire like the Michelin Premier A/S, but I also hate the idea of sacrificing range to do so.

My car came with those. The efficiency was very good, and they never failed in the 5k miles I drove on them, but the handling was Mushy. I didn't quite realize how bad it was until I put the Pirelli Carving Edge snow tires on last Fall, and the car started to handle like a sports car. I'll happily sell you mine if you can find a good shipping price. I have them up locally on Ebay for $375.

My used leaf came with fairly bald shouldered Ecopias. Our wet season is coming (and lasts 8 months), so I am trying some Michelin Premier A/S's. So far it is like driving in sand. I'm looking forward to comparing this weeks miles/kWh to my typical ~4.8 mi/kWh with the bald Ecopias. I'm running 42/40 and they overall seem a little quieter, but heck if I would notice much of a difference in handling.

LeftieBiker said:
My car came with those. The efficiency was very good, and they never failed in the 5k miles I drove on them, but the handling was Mushy. I didn't quite realize how bad it was until I put the Pirelli Carving Edge snow tires on last Fall, and the car started to handle like a sports car. I'll happily sell you mine if you can find a good shipping price. I have them up locally on Ebay for $375.

mine came with the 89 load rating and its a 2013 too. AFAIK, the 91 load rating is not new. the 89 load rating is and apparently only available as an OEM Nissan tire

I had a "raw" image of the tires on the computer, so I pulled it up with a photo program, viewed it full size, and... yes, if "89H" is the load rating, mine are also 89. Sorry about that! Maybe the Pirellis are 91 and I transposed the number in my head.

DaveinOlyWA said:
mine came with the 89 load rating and its a 2013 too. AFAIK, the 91 load rating is not new. the 89 load rating is and apparently only available as an OEM Nissan tire

Thanks. I thought I had read the 91 version was a newer tire and thus perhaps better due to the weight of the Leaf.

veeoo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks. I thought I had read the 91 version was a newer tire and thus perhaps better due to the weight of the Leaf.

well when I had to replace a tire on my 2011, I asked for the "89" and they simply did not have it or could order it. in fact the tire guy essentially implied I did not know what I was talking about... at least until he went out and looked at the car :shock:

After 23,500 miles the fronts had 5/32 and rear 6/32 tread with regular rotation. l was planning on replacing them soon, but a nail in the tires accelerated that decision. I went with the same tires as Costco has a limited selection but some nice perks (nitrogen, road hazard repair, free rotations, etc). Here's hoping to them performing better than OEM, particularly in snow.

I am not sure what you all are talking about. I just rotated the tires on my 2011 at 20k miles. They hardly looked used. Because I own mine I do not drive real aggressively. I did not buy to abuse. I bought to get to and from work.

downeykp said:
I am not sure what you all are talking about. I just rotated the tires on my 2011 at 20k miles. They hardly looked used. Because I own mine I do not drive real aggressively. I did not buy to abuse. I bought to get to and from work.

We all drive differently. Ownership does not equate to lighter tire wear, driving style does. I own my LEAF and I'm no granny when it comes to driving and I'm on track for my second replacement set at around 60,000 miles. So for me I get maybe 30,000 miles out of the Ecopias. A little less than I'm used to, but I never get the advertised miles out of a set of tires with or without rotation.

Quite literally YMMV applies with these tires as with any others!

downeykp said:

Some people live in very hilly areas which really wears tires fast no matter how hard you drive.

EVDRIVER said:
downeykp said:
Some people live in very hilly areas which really wears tires fast no matter how hard you drive.
This. I am about to replace my OEM tires at 22,300 miles (with more Ecopias since LRR and EV range are of greatest importance to me and the snow handling is pretty good, for non snow tires). Driving steep mountain hairpin turns and dirt/gravel roads wears out tires quickly.

Not everyone drives straight, smooth roads at relatively constant speeds most of the time and I get tired of those who assume that the high mileage they get on their tires is because they are superior drivers. Not so.

14382885445_d2d2b69c30_c.jpg

County Road 1, the main highway access to my house.

I am impressed with anyone who can drive in snow with the stock Ecopias :) Seriously last night when I was driving in sleet / slush I slipped a couple of times. While I suppose I could drive more cautiously I put the snows on today. After driving a bit there is no comparison. Not sure what kind of range hit we will get, it will be hard to tell with the colder weather hitting at the same time.

The stock Eco's on the left with 7000 miles on them, 5k in the front and 2k on the rear. New Brigstone Blizzack's WS70's on the right.

leafsnows.jpg

^If I drove snow all the time I'd go with snow tires also, but the big range hit would make my 60-70 mile — with 2500 feet of elevation change — grocery shopping trips very difficult. However, this is sunny Colorado, and the roads get plowed and sanded quickly and then melt down to bare pavement (or dirt). I do have to use chains on the LEAF at times to get up my steep, curved 400 foot driveway if the snow left after shoveling is warm and slick. But cold snow — squeaky cold — generally makes for good traction. And if I don't have time to shovel the driveway I can take the Jeep.

Back