Ecotality and Walmart

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
Seems like a bad fit demographically. Leafers seem to be big Costco fans. Maybe Target, Home Depot, or Lowes. Walmart I'm not seeing. I know Walmart is on a big push to move to more upscale products and a more upscale shopping experience so maybe this is part of that.

As for a public charger being good just because it's installed, I think that's wrong. If they get installed and not used then the conclusion will be that they're useless and not a good idea. Costco has already helped that idea along as it is.
I disagree. I am a creature of habit, Walmart is the one store I am sure will be open so that is where I go even though Target is just across the street.

TomT said:
People don't tend to spend hours at McDonalds (nor do they want then to), so I am not sure it is a good mix since the amount of charge you could pick up in the typical visit would be minimal. Starbucks might be a little better but still...

Perfect for L3 charging, and charge by the minute so you dont get people hogging the parking spot.

I do find it "interesting" that our brand new Kohls ChargePoint is sited pretty much between a Costco and a Walmart. It has been getting alot of use so far and was placed so as to lengthen a walk to these and other nearby stores. We have already adjusted the kids Christmas lists for things they have seen at Kohls. I wonder if Blink will want to place a station so close to a new CP station??? I doubt it.

If Walmart really wanted to polish its green cred, they would announce the installation of one or two chargers in every Walmart in America. That would be bold, gets lots of attention and press, and instantly create a huge charging infrastructure the public could relate to. I agree that they would also get people walking around their stores as a benefit, but, hey, it's a business, no?

There are 3,002 Supercenters, 647 "regular" stores and 164 Neighborhood Markets. See http://walmartstores.com/AboutUs/7606.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; These would all be naturals for EVSE's.

rumpole said:
If Walmart really wanted to polish its green cred, they would announce the installation of one or two chargers in every Walmart in America. That would be bold, gets lots of attention and press, and instantly create a huge charging infrastructure the public could relate to. I agree that they would also get people walking around their stores as a benefit, but, hey, it's a business, no?

There are 3,002 Supercenters, 647 "regular" stores and 164 Neighborhood Markets. See http://walmartstores.com/AboutUs/7606.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; These would all be naturals for EVSE's.
I assume that is coming soon if the pilot program works out. :D

Leland said:
I attempted to use the two L2 units at the Redlands, CA Walmart last weekend. Both units were down. After 20 minutes on the phone with the Blink rep he gave up and said they would send out a tech ASAP. The app showed both units were availble at the time.
Thanks for the info! Didn't realize that the Redlands, CA Walmart has Blink units. Looking forward to trying them soon.

We are not above shopping at Walmart, and even visit thrift stores on occasion. Living below one's means is helpful in building wealth. Our previous two vehicles were purchased used, and subsequent EV purchases will be done the same way. So, we appreciate Walmart and are reminded of how they've drawn in RVers by allowing free overnight parking. Free charging for EVers, at all stores, would be a great move.

Now, if only the store in Highland, CA, right on the way to the "mountain resort" towns (where we live) would install a QC!

abasile said:
We are not above shopping at Walmart, and even visit thrift stores on occasion. Living below one's means is helpful in building wealth. Our previous two vehicles were purchased used, and subsequent EV purchases will be done the same way. So, we appreciate Walmart and are reminded of how they've drawn in RVers by allowing free overnight parking. Free charging for EVers, at all stores, would be a great move.

Now, if only the store in Highland, CA, right on the way to the "mountain resort" towns (where we live) would install a QC!

it is not about being "above anything" (though I can see how RW minds might go there), but more an issue of whether to support a store that is so hard on its employees, when there are good alternatives available.
You cant equate thrift stores with Walmart. Bargains have nothing to do with how employees are treated and the status of the corporate structure.

Exactly. That is the reason why I avoid Walmarts like the plague and frequent Costcos instead, chargers or not!

thankyouOB said:
it is not about being "above anything" (though I can see how RW minds might go there), but more an issue of whether to support a store that is so hard on its employees, when there are good alternatives available. You cant equate thrift stores with Walmart. Bargains have nothing to do with how employees are treated and the status of the corporate structure.

Truth is that I avoid BOTH Walmart and Costco. I just do not like big box stores that much.

However if either one of these stores would put a free charge station in the parking lot, I would go there and shop at least once a week. I have asked both of them to do this and got nothing but the run around.

TomT said:
Exactly. That is the reason why I avoid Walmarts like the plague and frequent Costcos instead, chargers or not!

thankyouOB said:
it is not about being "above anything" (though I can see how RW minds might go there), but more an issue of whether to support a store that is so hard on its employees, when there are good alternatives available. You cant equate thrift stores with Walmart. Bargains have nothing to do with how employees are treated and the status of the corporate structure.

We visited the Redlands, CA Walmart last night, mainly to try the Blink chargers. Even after I placed a call to Blink customer service, they're still not working, though the Blink rep. said he would "escalate" the "ticket" to their local/regional office. The problem was that neither unit (one of which was ICE'd) would read my Blink RFID card. The Blink rep. remotely rebooted one of the units, and it still wouldn't read my card, and the other unit would not respond to a reboot request. He indicated that my card is active and should work, but also suggested I try asking Walmart to let me attempt using their Blink card. The store does not seem to have a card, though the assistant manager was very pleasant, wanted to be helpful, and said that she would also contact Blink.

The Blinks at this Walmart will be very, very helpful to us once they get them working. I mentioned that to the assistant manager, and let her know the chargers are what drew us to their location to shop. Also, note that the Redlands, CA Walmart is right off the 10 freeway, right between Los Angeles and Palm Springs.

As for treatment of employees at Walmart, I'm not aware of any issues serious enough to prevent me from shopping there. The kind folks who helped us last night have been employed at the store for a number of years, one of them for 18 years. Surely they could have applied to other jobs and left Walmart if they desired.

Do a little research. Walmart has a long reputation for paying their employees as little as possible, reducing and eliminating benefits as much as possible, and denying healthcare coverage wherever possible. They have also (successfully) fought every attempt by their employes to unionize. The folks at the Walmart stores ARE, in general, very nice, but that does NOT mean they are treated as well as those at many other retailers.

abasile said:
As for treatment of employees at Walmart, I'm not aware of any issues serious enough to prevent me from shopping there. The kind folks who helped us last night have been employed at the store for a number of years, one of them for 18 years. Surely they could have applied to other jobs and left Walmart if they desired.

TomT said:
Do a little research. Walmart has a long reputation for paying their employees as little as possible, reducing and eliminating benefits as much as possible, and denying healthcare coverage wherever possible. They have also (successfully) fought every attempt by their employes to unionize. The folks at the Walmart stores ARE, in general, very nice, but that does NOT mean they are treated as well as those at many other retailers.

abasile said:

I would have to agree, Walmart is one of the worst in the race to the bottom in almost every way... I'd still stop by to use an L3 if there was one outside. Costco shines in comparison on many issues.

As I reported on another thread, one of the two Blink units at the Redlands, CA Walmart is finally working! Calls to that Walmart store and Ecotality thankfully produced results. :D Ecotality says they'll be sending someone out to look at the other unit, which is cycling through screens and not reading RFID cards.

We also met another LEAFing couple who arrived after us at the Redlands Walmart. But they didn't really need to charge, and we did! :lol: Had a good time chatting.

Back