ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
charger stopped again tonight, only I was waiting for it. Stopped after 55 minutes today.

It won't stop again until it's complete. ;)

Hello Blinkers,
I'm still working on getting good data out of the blink & network. Here is a copy of the email I sent Blink. I'm sure they would like to know if any of you show errors on the same dates. I believe the ver 1.5 update happened on the 12th.

The [corrected 5/2] numbers are in for April. The blink network had a 12.5% reporting error.

Day / date of failed or flawed reports:
Friday 4/8 - 0 kWh reported - S/B ~ 1.0 kWh
Tuesday 4/12 - 0 kWh reported - S/B ~ 5.7 kWh
Wednesday 4/13 - 3.8 kWh reported - S/B ~ 11.8 kWh
Friday 4/22 – failed to report - S/B ~ 13.0 kWh
Sunday 4/24 - failed to report - S/B ~ ?? kWh
Monday 4/25 – 0 kWh reported - S/B ~ 8.8 kWh

Blink unit shows 257.8 kWh total
Blink network reported 225.5 kWh total (Diff = 32.3 kWh or 12.5%)
Carwings reported 223.9 kWh consumed
807.9 miles driven.

That makes my “wall to wheels” efficiency 87% and 3.1 miles/kWh, if I believe the blink unit. Those numbers include preconditioning and climate control usage. I subtracted my estimated preconditioning which netted 3.4 miles/kWh. That's approximately 7 miles per SOC bar, the number I use to estimate range. Carwings has it at 4.3 miles/kWh so the estimated range is optimistic by 20%.

Since it appears the data is being accrued in the blink unit memory, I can only assume the problems are internet reliability and/or Blink network programming. Diff = 32.3 kWh or 12.5% power usage error generated by a 13% charge event error rate (6 out of 45 events).

YMMV :lol:

ON EDIT: I corrected the tally, a missing blink report showed up today 5/2/11

bowthom said:
Blink unit shows 257.8 kWh total
Blink network reported 203.5 kWh total (Diff = 54.3 kWh or 21%)
Carwings reported 223.9 kWh consumed
801 miles driven.
You should put this in the sticky thread about wall-to-wheels efficiency.

For me,

Blink unit shows 127 kWh total
Blink network reported 106 kWh total (Diff = 21 kWh or 17%)
Since Blink has fequent network problems, what they should do is store atleast a couple of weeks data in the unit and transmit all of it when they do connect. Currently on a particular day, if they can't connect that data is never trasmitted ! Poor design.

I have a question for you guys. I'm renting and so we need the owner's permission to have the charger installed. He doesn't live nearby. Is there a good way to explain/describe what will go down? For example, "A licensed, bonded electrician would install a conduit from the electric meter to the wall of the garage. An xyz type electrical outlet with xyz volts will placed at that location."

Because right now I can only explain the EV Project and Ecotality. Should I throw in there that i'll take it with me if we move in the future?

astralfish said:
I have a question for you guys. I'm renting and so we need the owner's permission to have the charger installed. He doesn't live nearby. Is there a good way to explain/describe what will go down? For example, "A licensed, bonded electrician would install a conduit from the electric meter to the wall of the garage. An xyz type electrical outlet with xyz volts will placed at that location."

Because right now I can only explain the EV Project and Ecotality. Should I throw in there that i'll take it with me if we move in the future?

You've pretty much got it - the conduit will go from the electric panel to the outlet. You need "room" on the panel (2 breakers worth). The voltage is 240, someone else will have to chime in on the socket type. The Blink unit mounts on the wall between two studs and then plugs into the socket.

One possible complication - you're in SDG&E territory, so you're likely looking at a second electrical meter along with the EVSE. Removal of the Blink would just leave the electrical socket and, if there is drywall, a couple of small mount holes to fill. But the meter will probably still be there (on an outside wall).

If your utility or building code does not require a hardwire connection, the Blink uses a NEMA 6-50 plug. The breakers are 40 amp.

wsbca said:
One possible complication - you're in SDG&E territory, so you're likely looking at a second electrical meter along with the EVSE. ...
The SDG&E EV study is strictly an optional program. You can do the EV Project without a second meter.

I would say that being up front with the landlord about who gets the Blink is probably the best approach. You can point out that all of the wiring would stay and be available for any EV or PHEV that a future tenant might own.

davewill said:
wsbca said:
You can point out that all of the wiring would stay and be available for any EV or PHEV that a future tenant might own.
And that is potentially the more valuable part of the free EVSE from the EV Project. Retail prices on different brands of EVSE's seem to be going down.

EV Project is finally coming to Pennsylvania.

Anyone able to get me a copy, scan or link to the install manual for the BLINK charger (EVSE)??

I'd like to have everything ready, and understand the unit before he shows up.

OK; Yes, I signed up for my "Free" Blink charger.
SPX is apparently the ONLY way to get it installed.
My install only requires removal of my AV EVSE (2 screws, 3 wires under terminal), and Re-hang the Blink.
Got my estimate today.
Was SOOO Surprised to find that the install cost will be exactly equal to the Project allowance plus the local program incentive: $650.00 !!

Wow, I have to change jobs.

If this takes him an hour, he's sleeping for half of that.

Thanks

KillaWhat said:
EV Project is finally coming to Pennsylvania.

Anyone able to get me a copy, scan or link to the install manual for the BLINK charger (EVSE)?? ...
Well, that was real hard. A Google search for "Blink installation manual" brought it up as the first result.

Blink Installation Manual: http://www.blinknetwork.com/file/297/im0001_l2_r_wmv1.3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the Owner's Manual: http://www.blinknetwork.com/file/296/om0001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One more question;
The install manual makes it look like the power cannot be run into the EVSE in a concealed manner (through the wall directly into the unit), but has to enter through a conduit knockout in the bottom of the unit.

It's like I HAVE to have a piece of conduit come out of the wall, and then into the EVSE.

Am I reading this incorrectly?

KillaWhat said:
One more question;
The install manual makes it look like the power cannot be run into the EVSE in a concealed manner (through the wall directly into the unit), but has to enter through a conduit knockout in the bottom of the unit.

It's like I HAVE to have a piece of conduit come out of the wall, and then into the EVSE.

That's what I read as well. I'd be surprised if there were not knock outs in the rear but what you'll likely have installed is a receptacle and the link will plug in to it.

That's what I read as well. I'd be surprised if there were not knock outs in the rear but what you'll likely have installed is a receptacle and the link will plug in to it.

It's an outside wall mount install, so I don't think a plug-in will work.
I have pulled up as many pictures of installed Blinks online as I can, and many exterior wall mount units show no external conduit.
I'm sure if I were doing the install, I could do it concealed.
But having someone else do it takes it out of my control, and makes it the "easiest, Quickest" path to completion I'm afraid.

The "professional" installers who put my Blink in last month ran the wiring through the wall and then down below the unit (in conduit).

There is a box mounted on the wall in the middle of the conduit where the wires from the Blink and the wires from the breaker box connect. Maybe it's a safety/codes thing about the connection? Never thought about it.

Philip

Recieved my BLINK L2 charger from the ECOtality program and was installed on Monday. Very nice unit. THe WiFi is still buggy, however after i threw a CAT5 ethernet cable onto it to allow the 2 software (firmware) updates it is working alot better. The shipped firmware was constantly rebooting the device (car was attached and still charging but the unit itself was rebooting from locked up display). Unit was free under the program, with a $400 discount on installation from their supplied Electrician (gimmick there) Still came out to $1017 installed. I figured if i was to purchase any other L2 EVSE + having somone come out and install, I would be around the same ball park. Plus the 3year warranty since their electrician installed it = win.

Unit is HUGE, but it works, and im happy with it.

Ill snap some photos and upload them.

QueenBee said:
KillaWhat said:
One more question;

Well, My new free HUGE!! blink was installed today.
I removed my AV EVSE to install this one, so the difference in size is dramatic.
Was a little concerned to see that it was produced in January of 2012, so it's going to probably be just as buggy as others have described.

I got some answers to my questions the hard way.

1) There is no factory way provided (Knockout, etc.) to feed the power to the Blink from behind (concealed).
I took care of this little problem with a 3/4" Hole-saw however (My installer was cool)

2) This was a biggie. The LAN connection is external. As In, if you don't want to hook this up to the wireless, or give it access to your wireless,
the unit is designed to have the LAN cord come out the outside bottom of the unit .
Closer inspection of the units "guts" revealed that there is a LAN jumper that connects the unit to the exterior LAN plug. You can pull that cord,
replace it with a cord long enough to reach your switch / router/ gateway, and with a nice 1/2" Hole-saw, you can create a way into your structure
internally rather that outside in the weather.

Hope that helps some of you with your impending installs.
Good luck

God this thing is huge

I have two. Wifi works great on both. One of them started having "self check errors" (orange screen) especially in the afternoon when it was warm, but they came out and redid a couple of connections to a moisture sensor which is supposed to fix this apparently common problem.

I really like the reports (Dashboard) on the Blink website for seeing what has been going on with the two of them.

I paid $600 total for both of them as plug and go installs (my own electrician set up the outlets when adding a subpanel for the solar system going in in the next week or two. One was done when the subsidy was $1200 (free), the other when it was $400 ($600). Wish I had thought to go for both of them with the $1200 deal.

gsleaf said:
mazdaboi said:
Unit is HUGE, but it works, and im happy with it. Ill snap some photos and upload them.

I'd love to see photos. How tall is the unit?

Photos of my AV unit, and the new Tower of Blink!! that replaced it.

LEAFCHARGERINSTALLSHED1.jpg

BLINKINSTALL1.jpg

BLINKINSTALL2.jpg

Back