*edit* Made it into the EV Project!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbmania

So, I just got a call from a woman who worked for a company that works with the EV Project. I couldn't tell what the name of her company was, she said it too fast.
Anyhoo, she was calling because I had signed up for the EV projected a long time ago and she wanted to set up an assessment! Well, it was a bit late for that since I
went with AV last month. I figured I wouldn't get into the project and I wanted the EVSE installed asap, just so I could get it over with. I told her so and she make a note
of it.

So, I am a bit bumed now that I could have gotten a free L2 charger had I waited since I was originally going to lease the AV EVSE and if so they would have waited till about two
weeks before delivery!

*Shrug* I didn't think to ask if they would still give me a free one since I had the AV, but doesnt matter.
At least will only be paying about $2k for mine.

I didn't think they would give it to me since i already have the AV one. :)

It sounded like she said she was from Semikron, i just looked it up, so I might try calling them back.

mwalsh said:
You should have taken it and then sold your AV unit here or on eBay. Or even kept it for install someplace else you may need L2 charging at occasionally.

Based on reports here it might also be nice to have it as a backup to the free one at home.

palmermd said:
mwalsh said:
You should have taken it and then sold your AV unit here or on eBay. Or even kept it for install someplace else you may need L2 charging at occasionally.

Based on reports here it might also be nice to have it as a backup to the free one at home.

This is probably displaying my total ignorance of all things electrical, but if you have two EVSE, does that mean you could charge up the Leaf twice as fast? Or will the car get confused if there are two cords plugged into it simultaneously?

earther said:
palmermd said:
mwalsh said:

This is probably displaying my total ignorance of all things electrical, but if you have two EVSE, does that mean you could charge up the Leaf twice as fast? Or will the car get confused if there are two cords plugged into it simultaneously?

No, one car per EVSE. Though I could then have 2 electric cars charging at the same time.

Yup, i was in the same situation as you where I paid for AV and got qualified for EV Project a month later. It was a bit of a hassle, but I was able to get some money back that I paid for AV unit, so no problem.

Ah. Well, I could sell the AV one, but id have to get it removed from the wall.

Still, the EV project reimburses you for the QC port on the car right? Might not be a bad idea then.

sdbmania said:

Still, the EV project reimburses you for the QC port on the car right? Might not be a bad idea then.

That should take you about 5 minutes.

EVDRIVER said:
sdbmania said:

Nice, I bet I could sell it used and get most of the cost for the charger back.

Is there any operational advantage of the Blink versus the AV EVSE, as in extra bells and whistles?

QC port I don't need. And I am kinda happy I don't have the Blink issues.
I am OK not being in the EV project although it was not available in my area.
But then AV is not my preference either.

Although I have a CAT-5 connector prewired next to the 40a 240v supply so maybe the Blink would have worked fine.

sdbmania said:
EVDRIVER said:
sdbmania said:

Nice, I bet I could sell it used and get most of the cost for the charger back.

Is there any operational advantage of the Blink versus the AV EVSE, as in extra bells and whistles?
The Blink does have a lot of bells and whistles, including a touch screen color LCD display, online access and tracking of energy usage.

While my usage has been trouble-free, some here have encountered problems using the Blink unit which I think are mostly attributed to network issues (which causes firmware update failures). If you can get a solid wifi access in your garage or if you run hardwired CAT5, I think you would not have issues.

By 2013, I envisioned putting in third-party firmware into the Blink.

I just talked with someone on Live Chat from the dash board and they don't have record of etec for me.
So, I'm going to call Sun Well tomorrow and just inquire about it. The CS person did say that the EV project
is expanding so it is still possible.

This is interesting. It will give me something fun to do tomorrow though, which is nice since my math class is finishing
up this week and there is not much left for me to do in it.

sdbmania said:
I just talked with someone on Live Chat from the dash board and they don't have record of etec for me.
So, I'm going to call Sun Well tomorrow and just inquire about it. The CS person did say that the EV project
is expanding so it is still possible.
The people to talk to are the ones with the EV Project itself. At the URL below are names and numbers for each region. Those are the people who can help you.

http://www.theevproject.com/contact.php

So, like the new title to my thread says, I was accepted into the EV project. I talked to the LA branch of Ecotality a few hours ago.

While I will end up out some money since the AV was installed, I already talked to Nissan and they are going to cut a check to my dealership
for the quick charge port. I'll probably end up selling the AV unit, which technically was never used, other then the test to make sure it works.

I wanted to be part of the EV research.

Also, on a side note, I'm not sure about the tax credit. Can I still claim it? I know one of the requirements is that it must be "used" but I'm not sure
to what extent. At any rate, I may have to use the AV unit until the Blink can be installed anyway. Unless there is a specific time period that it has
to be used, I might luck out and still qualify for the tax credit. Of course, if it is basically like the $7500 fed credit I may not be paying enough taxes
for it after the standard refund I get each year.

Still, I'm excited.

Back