electric cars in Norway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrhansen

I just returned from the land of my ancestors, and was very impressed by the way they do things over there. Electric cars are everywhere! Even saw multiple tesla model s taxicabs!

My relatives tell me it's because cars are taxed heavily over there and electric cars pay way less or no taxes, plus they get better parking and carpool lane privileges. Also, all over town there are parking spots with a plug provided. No evse, you need to have your own. I guess the average Norwegian electric car driver can be trusted to plug in an unplug the car properly to avoid arcs an sparks and shocks. They dont trust us to do that here. Have to always have a proper evse or nothing at all. I'd love to see l6-30 oulets provided all over so I can charge my car away from home. Who needs a 5000 dollar public evse?

They just use the common european 240v houshold plug over there. Over here they could use a l6-30 or l6-20, or a 6-20 instead. Every stand has a breaker so you can disconnect power before you plug or unplug. Every unused stand had the breaker turned off so apparently, people over there are using it correctly.

I live right outside Oslo city and bought a new Leaf last year. I paid about 37.000 USD for the car and thats not much for a car in Norway. Our family saves about 600 USD per month (gas and taxes).

Our other car a Volvo XC60 costs about 135.000 USD new and we have to pay a lot more in taxes (tollroades) each month. Diesel costs about 8,50 USD per gallon.

So thats the reason why so many buy electric cars in Norway :D

I do wonder if the electrical outlets everywhere are like Canada where there are "normal" outlets everywhere to plug in with your engine block heater. Norway seems like it would be similar.

The plugs in norway are 240 volts, so I suppose the cars can chargecat a practical rate. The block heater plugs in canada are 120 volts? It takes forever to charge at that voltage.

johnrhansen said:
The plugs in norway are 240 volts, so I suppose the cars can chargecat a practical rate. The block heater plugs in canada are 120 volts? It takes forever to charge at that voltage.

Yes, but my question is not "what is better for EV charging today" but "where did these things come from"? The plugs seem to be everywhere, and I am curious if they were installed for EV's or EV's are using them because they are there already for block heaters. Just like in Canada, the outlets are there already from block heaters, that was the primary objective. EV charging from them is just a free bonus, albeit with less range/time. But that wasn't their original intent. Yes the block heater outlets are standard 120v because they are the same standard plugs found in homes like a garage even back last century. Just like I am guessing the outlets everywhere in Norway are the standard outlets found at home like in an old garage too.

Back