Electrical Contractor - LA area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I PM'd you William's phone number. I recommend him highly. Hopefully he isn't too busy to get you a quote.

-Jeff

Stoaty said:
I emailed William Korthof a week ago, haven't heard back. Got a quote from an electrician who was recommended by my plumber of 10 years. Here is his estimate:

--about 4 hours work at $140 per hour = $560
--materials about $100

So he is guessing around $660 plus the fee for the permit. He didn't give me a firm bid, but seems honest. Licensed, bonded, insured, self-employed and recommended by someone I trust. His estimate is $1567 cheaper. Even if it took him 2 hours longer than he estimated, it would still be just $940. He also noted that the location suggested by the other electrician would be prone to being damaged if someone (not me, of course) pulled into my parking space carelessly. He suggested a couple of other locations, which I will probably go with if the 25 foot charging cord can reach the Leaf from there. I have two other electricians coming a week from today. Once I get all of the estimates I will make my decision. I will post more info about my experience once I get my install done. While this electrician hasn't installed an EV charging dock, after looking at the manual briefly he thought it was pretty straightforward.

Here is the follow-up on my quotes to get AV EVSE installed in my condo parking garage:

Electrician #1 (Electric Connection) - $2352 (quote did not include 120 volt outlet which I later realized would be a good idea); price too high
Electrician #2 - $560 labor, $100 parts, $100 permit; not a firm quote, just an estimate; didn't trust estimated labor costs, unknown what total would be, not sure about competence
Electrician #3 (Mike at North Bay Electric; recommended by my plumber) - $1325; quote was to run conduit along bottom of wall, which I later determined was not a good idea; otherwise, a good quote; competent and inspired confidence
Electrician #4 - quote pending, but recommended upgrading 90 amp breaker to 125 amp breaker in addition to other install items, so likely to be excessive
Electrician #5 - "No way to install with your setup"
Electrician #6 (William Korthof) - $1950

Notes:

Only Electric Connection and William Korthof proposed running conduit high on the wall to be out of the way of any potential damage if a car accidentally ran into the wall. Also, only these two electricians had experience actually installing the AV EVSE.

After reviewing the quotes and the knowledge of the electricians, I chose William Korthof for the following reasons:

--experience installing AV EVSE
--$400 cheaper than Electric Connection, even with install of 120 volt outlet, which wasn't included in Electric Connection quote
--displayed best knowledge in answer to questions; e.g., mentioned that upgrade to 125 amp breaker was unnecessary and would require the utility to be involved
--one of two electricians who planned to run conduit high on the wall where it would be less obtrusive (don't want complaints from other homeowners) and better protected from possible accident damage
--proposed the best position for the subpanel; Electric Connection proposed putting the subpanel on an existing wooden board, which according to Electrican #3 was not to code, since it would be greater than 10 feet by conduit run from the electric meter

My recommendation for others in the West LA area is to get quotes from:

--William Korthof 714-875-3576
--Mike at North Bay Electric 310-456-7076
--Electric Connection 818-352-1173

Your work on this is really helpful and will sure be useful to use when we work on getting the EVSE put in at our condo. Your results give me hope that we could actually have an L2 even with less than 100 amp service. I really appreciate you posting this level of detail.

Kataphn said:
Your work on this is really helpful and will sure be useful to use when we work on getting the EVSE put in at our condo. Your results give me hope that we could actually have an L2 even with less than 100 amp service. I really appreciate you posting this level of detail.
William Korthof inquired in detail about loads in my condo, asking about AC (heat pump is on the roof on 30 amp breaker), whether stove/dryer are electric (neither are in my case), etc. He assured me that I have plenty of leeway even at 90 amps for main breaker, and mentioned that in Japan the main breaker is usually 30 amps! Apparently the AV EVSE draws about 13 amps when charging the Leaf, and presumably would draw 26 amps if Leaf was upgraded to 6.6 KW charging in the future. AC is only other big load for me, and would still be less than 30 amps, even with transient higher startup load. If I were to upgrade the Leaf charger or get an EV that had a higher charging rate, I would still be OK.

A couple of other points I forgot to mention re: install in condo parking garage near electric meter:

1) The method for feeding power using the existing setup was as follows:

--feed power from 90 amp main breaker at power meter to 6/12 100 amp subpanel installed nearby

--subpanel will have 3 breakers: a 90 amp breaker that feeds power to the panel in my unit on the 2nd floor; a 40 amp breaker to feed the AV EVSE; a 20 amp breaker to feed the 120 volt outlet to be installed next to the AV EVSE

2) There are several reasons to get the 120 volt outlet installed along with the EVSE:

--if L2 charging isn't working, the easiest way to determine if the problem is with the Leaf or the L2 charger is to see if the Leaf will charge from 120 volt. That is what AV will want you to do if you think their charger is not working.

--if the L2 charger malfunctions, you can trickle charge while you are getting the L2 charger fixed or replaced at your leisure

--if you keep an ICE vehicle for long trips (which I plan to do), you will have an easy way to trickle charge the battery, which may otherwise go dead due to lack of use

Minor Correction:
The present (2011, "3.3 kW" nominal) LEAF, using the AV EVSE, would draw 16 amps.
The "6.6 kW" charger would draw 30 amps.
(Not the 13 and 26 amps mentioned above.) :)

I use William Korthof exclusively for my LEAF customers. He saves all of them money over the AV quotes. He also has more knowledge of and experience installing EVSE than pretty much anyone. The quality of his work is superb. You can get other bids if you want, but going with William is a sure thing. You won't have any regrets. Besides, his politics are spot on, so your money will not go to Republicans.

PaulScott said:
I use William Korthof exclusively for my LEAF customers. He saves all of them money over the AV quotes. He also has more knowledge of and experience installing EVSE than pretty much anyone. The quality of his work is superb. You can get other bids if you want, but going with William is a sure thing. You won't have any regrets. Besides, his politics are spot on, so your money will not go to Republicans.

heh!

Stoaty said:
There are several reasons to get the 120 volt outlet installed along with the EVSE:
Are you feeling the need to secure the EVSE, or the 120V outlet? It might be a bummer to find out the maintenance folks are using your juice when you're not around.

davewill said:
Are you feeling the need to secure the EVSE, or the 120V outlet? It might be a bummer to find out the maintenance folks are using your juice when you're not around.
No, but I live in a small condo with 7 units. We have a guy who does some cleaning, but no real "maintenance folks" to speak of. Those in a larger building might feel differently.

William Korthof did my install today. Took him and assistant about 9.5 hours of work to do the install. I am very pleased with the quality of work. The 65 feet of electrical conduit was routed mostly along the ceiling of the parking garage so that it is both safer and unobtrusive. All that is left is to have the inspector come and approve the work. While we were talking I found out he can retrofit the T-12 fluorescent lights with magnetic ballast in our parking garage to T-8 with electric ballast. This will save a lot of money/energy and probably pay for itself in 2-3 years. I will have him come back to give a quote for doing this work, assuming HOA board agrees.

He lives in Pomona, but will come as far as Santa Monica area to do install, so don't assume he is too far away to do your install until you check with him.

Here is my latest:

I just got an estimate from Electrical Connection.

Install (1) 40 Amp 220V circuit from main electrical panel to garage about 125' long. 1380.00
Install an 8-16 outdoor sub panel to make space in main panel. 930.00
Hook up charging dock furnished by others (included) ------

Total 2310.00

Now this is not including permits and the actual EVSE unit which I would have to purchase from AV.
What says the community?

VikeKen said:
Here is my latest:

Install (1) 40 Amp 220V circuit from main electrical panel to garage about 125' long. 1380.00

Total 2310.00

Now this is not including permits and the actual EVSE unit which I would have to purchase from AV.
What says the community?
Doesn't sound horrid...although why didn't he include permits in his bid? Was he going to neglect them?
By all means get a competing bid...and also, consider where that new subpanel should go. I'd look at placing the new subpanel at the garage rather than by the existing panel. It will cost a bit more to run heavier gauge wire, but it would make it really easy to wire up extra circuits in your garage for power tools...or that second EV in a few years. ;) Of course it might turn out that moving the existing garage circuits won't free up enough space in the main panel.

VikeKen said:
Here is my latest:

Total 2310.00

What says the community?

I'd get a quote from william Korthof. This sounds high to me.

PaulScott said:
VikeKen said:
I'd get a quote from william Korthof. This sounds high to me.
Definitely get a quote from William Korthof. His bid was $400 cheaper than Electric Connection (when cost of permit was included, which his bid did). I am very happy with the work he did.

I'm currently working with Kim and Bob at Electric Connection. The work should begin next week in my condo. I'm very pleased so far. The number I received is higher than all the others, but it's a hard number that won't budge if the job takes longer than they think. Included permits for me. They made all the phone calls and found the RIGHT guys at LADWP to come pre-approve the job. To date, they were the least afraid (not at all afraid) of our condo's outdated garage and long conduit run. Most importantly, they really REALLY seem to know what they're doing.

jcodeglia said:
I'm currently working with Kim and Bob at Electric Connection. The work should begin next week in my condo. I'm very pleased so far. The number I received is higher than all the others, but it's a hard number that won't budge if the job takes longer than they think.
The bid from William Korthof is also a hard number that won't budge. He has you sign a contract that specifies exactly what he will be doing and the exact cost. While I am sure that Electric Connection will do a great job (they were my second choice), I would recommend getting a quote from William Korthof also. Saved me $400 and I believe I got the same or slightly better quality of work as I would have had from Electric Connection.

Regrettably, I need to post a cautionary note about working with William Korthof. While the quality of his work is exemplary, communication and follow-through on some of the paperwork details is lacking:

--He doesn't answer emails, except when he has come to make a bid and sends the proposal
--2 weeks after my install/inspection, I have yet to receive documentation confirming the inspection passed
--I haven't received paperwork documenting the amount paid for the install, which I will need for tax purposes in case I am audited

I called 5 days ago and spoke with him, followed up with email about exactly what documentation I needed to complete our transaction. No response yet. I am hoping this is a temporary glitch, but wanted to let others know this is potentially a problem. I will report the outcome of this issue.

My install is complete. Electric Connection did a very nice job. I have photos/video of the work in my signature. I'll bet there are cheaper maybe even better guys out there, but there was absolutely no headache with this team. Smooth sailing for me, and my building was a challenge.

Note - I don't have my car yet, so I can't say for sure it's a perfect install. But the "Ready to Charge" light comes on!

Stoaty said:
Regrettably, I need to post a cautionary note about working with William Korthof. I will report the outcome of this issue.
Problem completely resolved. Receipt received. Documentation for permit received, online check with LA Dept Building and Safety confirms that final inspection passed.

I still plan to have William come out to give a bid on changing out bulbs to T8 and ballasts to electronic in HOA parking garage. We are going to install the LED bulbs in the elevator that he recommended, as they appear somewhat brighter than the aging CFL currently in the elevator.

Note: for those in city of Los Angeles proper, it is easy to check the status of a permit:

1) Go to http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/public-home.jsf

2) From top menu on web site, click on "Online Services" then on the submenu "Property Activity Report"

3) Enter the permit number

You will get all the detail you need showing when the permit was issued, whether the inspection has been done, etc.

Back