End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sonnylax said:
I'm trying to figure out how the dealers make money here... If I buy my leased car for say $7 or $8k off Residual, what's in it for the Dealers?

1. Financing
2. Fees (on top of the sales price)
3. Taking some of the Discount (off your balance) for themselves.
4. discount might also include some monies for the dealer. who knows they don't always tell you.
5. bonus for getting the numbers for the month, quarter or year.

My 1st call was from a dealer who told me that the discount was $5000. I called another dealer and he told me the discount was $8000. The 2nd dealer gave me the lowest sales price so that my taxes would be on that amount and charged me dealer fees on top. I don't know if he was totally transparent with me but i guess they made $250 on the discount, $200 on fees and another $200 on financing and maybe some others if they nailed their monthly targets. so for me I guess at $650 minimum from the 1hr they took processing my buyout paperwork.

I worked, for a very short time, at a dealership in 2001 and I wasn't even told what the shop made. I know this, the commission was low for new cars and great for used.

Ahhh... So Nissan Finance is paying the dealer some sort of commission to sell the car (instead of taking the lease back)?

I don't mind paying the Dealer a nominal fee of say $250.00 to process the transaction. But
1. I'm likely going to bring my own Credit Union Financing.
2. I won't be paying any extra fees on top of the negotiated "Out the Door" Sales Price.

If they make some monthly/quarterly kicker on me, good for them.

It's amazing that Nissan Finance is taking a bath on these vehicles and they want to dump us back on the Dealerships....

sonnylax said:
Wonder if makes better sense, just to say I'm willing to pay X amount, out the door, to the dealers (to buy the car outright)?

I did a search (locally) for used Nissan Leafs 2015 S model. Lowest today is $9,388 up to $12,995.

I let them make the first offer.. but the 1st dealership offered me a price of $11,426 which after taxes and fees would have been probably as high as the highest priced one locally. the 2nd dealer gave me a much better price.. some $700 less than the lowest on the market in the area for the same year and model.

Maybe I was lucky? Any dealership can process your buyout, it doesn't have to be in the same state. then you'd have to process some of the paperwork yourself like registration and sales taxes.

His name is Todd Grace and his number is 801-693-7118. The dealer is Jerry Siener of North Salt Lake.

sonnylax said:
I'm trying to figure out how the dealers make money here... If I buy my leased car for say $7 or $8k off Residual, what's in it for the Dealers?

roughly? $2-3,000

2013 lease buyout.jpg

Two days after I turned in my 2013 Residual; 12K and change, this popped up on my payment history...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Two days after I turned in my 2013 Residual; 12K and change, this popped up on my payment history...

Cool, I'm going to look up this on my account and see if they post the real price the dealer paid Nissan for it.

DuncanCunningham said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Cool, I'm going to look up this on my account and see if they post the real price the dealer paid Nissan for it.

well not sure if its real price or not. Its my guess that there is also a commission paid to the dealership for reselling it as well.

sonnylax said:
It's amazing that Nissan Finance is taking a bath on these vehicles and they want to dump us back on the Dealerships....
Well, NMAC is somewhat short on options. If they take the vehicle back and sell it at auction, they are going to get even less.

cmrandyh2014 said:
I just bought out my lease on a 2014 Leaf S with Quick Charge Port.
Details-
Original Cost 29,228
Residual 13,512.75
$500 Down
36 month lease 278.68/mo including tax
$2500 Rebate Check from CA

Car due back April 30th 2017
Remaining payments $836.04 plus lease return fees.

Payoff as of today was 14,239

They offered it to me for 9239 ($5,000 discount from NMAC)

I countered with $7,000

Settled on $7439.27
Total with Tax,Title, etc was $8,296.01

Unless i am doing the math wrong my all in cost for the car was

$500 Down
33 payments 278.68 = $9196.44
Purchase total = $8296.01
Total $17,992.45
less $2500 CA rebate

Total cost = $15,492.45

I did it at Orange Coast Nissan in Costa Mesa.
They said they can work out a deal regardless of where you purchased but discount is determined by the VIN number.
I worked with Gabriel Lara 714-444-4220 x 8303 or [email protected]

Bottom line is EV's are going to keep getting better range, but if the 90 mile range works for you, there are deals to be had

I emailed him and got a similar deal. $6998 + tax for my 2014 S. Lease ends 4/30/2017. Today is 1/31 so I will be skipping the next 3 payments of $257. Great deal. I only have 28600 miles on the car.

Someone scratched my front bumper recently and insurance paid me $800. I cashed the check and was going to fix the car before returning it but I won't do that now that I am keeping it. Even sweeter.

I ended up not taking the lease buy out. However, the dealer offered to buy the car out from me, and effectively made it a zero trade, however allowing for tax credit for the trade in. Instead, leased a new 2016 SV for $254/month, first month payment only upfront.

Iubball said:
I ended up not taking the lease buy out. However, the dealer offered to buy the car out from me, and effectively made it a zero trade, however allowing for tax credit for the trade in. Instead, leased a new 2016 SV for $254/month, first month payment only upfront.

With or without Premium? I'm looking into leasing a 2016 SV myself.

pasadenaleaf said:
cmrandyh2014 said:
Someone scratched my front bumper recently and insurance paid me $800. I cashed the check and was going to fix the car before returning it but I won't do that now that I am keeping it. Even sweeter.

Bro, I'm pretty sure that's called insurance fraud.

Bufordleaf said:
pasadenaleaf said:
cmrandyh2014 said:

No. it isn't. The car is worth $800 less, and the owner is keeping the cash and taking the loss of resale value. Claiming damage that isn't real or isn't eligible is insurance fraud, Bro.

My '86 Civic Si got rear-ended many years ago. I got an estimate for a new "bumper" from an appraiser, got the check, and lo and behold, the "bumper" was just the plastic cover, unpainted. I had to pay for new brackets myself, paint the cover myself, and install it, just to not be in the hole about $800. Now that was fraud - insurance company fraud.

Bufordleaf said:
pasadenaleaf said:
cmrandyh2014 said:

Bro, do you even know wtf you are talking about Bro?

It was $254/month without the premium package. I don't know how NY State is for having 2016 Leafs, but the DC area has a ton of them. With that said, my quotes were mostly in the $280-330 range. I used the dealer that I leased my original Leaf with, and he was straight forward about giving me the best price. He also seemed more familiar about the different rebate and cash back options than most of the other dealers. I had to tell more than one dealer what programs I qualified for that they weren't even aware of.

2015 Leaf S. 8k miles. 12 bars. QC port etc.

My 2 year lease is expiring and the dealers sent me a note saying:

Right now, Nissan is currently offering $7,500 off the purchase price of your 2015 Nissan LEAF. Also for those who purchase their lease vehicle before Feb. 28, 2017 the Doc. Fee ($698) will be waived.

That would cut off 4 payments of $269.

My residual is $11,520

$4,020 for my pristine LEAF?

I just got off the phone with the dealer who explained, yes, that would be the price...but have to add in my remaining 4 payments and pay tax to the State of Georgia. The final guaranteed price, including title, tax etc.:

$5,817.12

I've had seat covers on it and Weather Tech floor liners. It's in perfect condition. I don't see how I can possibly pass this up! If nothing else, I could turn around and sell it. It's even got 2 EVSE units...1 enabled for 240v for home, another original in the vehicle.

Note: 2 years ago, I leased my Second LEAF and for a second time collected the $5,000 Georgia State Tax Rebate. So, I've been driving a LEAF for 4 years for around $50 a month.

I'm retired now and only use the LEAF around town. Maybe a few trips to the airport every year. (65 miles roundtrip.)

Thank you, Nissan. Thank you, Georgia. Go Falcons! :D

Gearscout said:
Whoa! Could this be REAL?

2015 Leaf S. 8k miles. 12 bars.

My 2 year lease is expiring and the dealers sent me a note saying:

Right now, Nissan is currently offering $7,500 off the purchase price of your 2015 Nissan LEAF. Also for those who purchase their lease vehicle before Feb. 28, 2017 the Doc. Fee ($698) will be waived.

That would cut off 4 payments of $269.

My residual is $11,520

$4,020 for my pristine LEAF?

I just got off the phone with the dealer who explained, yes, that would be the price...but have to add in my remaining 4 payments and pay tax to the State of Georgia. The final guaranteed price:

$5,817.12

I've had seat covers on it and Weather Tech floor liners. It's in perfect condition. I don't see how I can possibly pass this up! If nothing else, I could turn around and sell it.

Note: 2 years ago, I leased my Second LEAF and for a second time collected the $5,000 Georgia State Tax Rebate. So, I've been driving a LEAF for 4 years for around $50 a month.

I'm retired now and only use the LEAF around town. Maybe a few trips to the airport every year. (65 miles roundtrip.)

Thank you, Nissan. Thank you, Georgia. Go Falcons! :D

That is amazing and the discount is off what your balance is, typically, but either way you have a great car at a great price. We got $8000 off ours but we didn't put any money down on the way into the lease so our residual was higher and had another 16 months to go on it . For all those on leases and would buy their car at the right price, it's time to call around for deals.

Back