End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was your original residual? Dammit, I don't WANT to buy my SV because of barely adequate range, but it's tempting to buy it until Leaf 2 is out, then sell again for a $1k loss. That would be cheaper than a year's worth of lease payments.

DCEVGirl said:
Original residual was $19k, buyout for $16k

well you got the best deal that I know of. I had a buyout offer last Summer on my 2013 (just a lowly S with charge package) of $5807 so almost same as yours and practically no one believed me because it was so good. Now, it barely rates as "OK" :)

But lease prices on 2016's are cheap and can't even begin to tell you how much of a difference that measly 6 kwh bump means! And besides, in 2 years and 8 months, I be betting that residual (only $9K) will be negotiable!

DCEVGirl said:
Original residual was $19k, buyout for $16k

Probably the same as mine. Thanks. Looking back in the thread, I see you already posted those. Sorry! I still can't believe you got the car for $4k. I probably would buy mine for that.

I have a 2013 Leaf SV coming off lease soon. 46k miles and 12 bars I am considering a buy out.

I had a two year lease initially and then extended for a year which almost up.

I had one dealer tell me that the current incentive for March on my car is $6k, and several other dealers I've called have no idea what I'm talking about.

can anyone verify this incentive number? or recommend a dealer I can contact about this? I'm happy to go out of state or do whatever to get a good deal.

If anyone is curious my buy out $13,500 - $6000 making my cost around $7500, plus tax etc. I'm not sure this is all that compelling of a deal. I saw some killer deals in february, and then heard the incentives got better for March, so I'm hoping to get it lower still.

NMAC promised I could have another year extension and is now refusing to honor that, so I'm scrambling to figure out my options....

mcnizzel said:
can anyone verify this incentive number? or recommend a dealer I can contact about this? I'm happy to go out of state or do whatever to get a good deal....

I'd call this guy.. His name is Todd Grace and his number is 801-693-7118 and he works out of the Jerry Seiner Nissan Dealership in North Salt Lake in Utah (801) 683-0293. Send him your VIN number and how long the lease is (or was), mileage of the car, color etc.

Look through pages 82, onward, of this thread to see how I did. I documented as best i could as it was happening.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16629&start=810

I ended up paying $8426 for our leased 2 yr old 2015S leaf. total cost (adding up all lease payments already paid up to the offer and out the door price) we paid about $15,700 i think, if I recall correctly.

mcnizzel said:
I have a 2013 Leaf SV coming off lease soon. 46k miles and 12 bars I am considering a buy out.

I had a two year lease initially and then extended for a year which almost up.

I had one dealer tell me that the current incentive for March on my car is $6k, and several other dealers I've called have no idea what I'm talking about.

can anyone verify this incentive number? or recommend a dealer I can contact about this? I'm happy to go out of state or do whatever to get a good deal.

If anyone is curious my buy out $13,500 - $6000 making my cost around $7500, plus tax etc. I'm not sure this is all that compelling of a deal. I saw some killer deals in february, and then heard the incentives got better for March, so I'm hoping to get it lower still.

NMAC promised I could have another year extension and is now refusing to honor that, so I'm scrambling to figure out my options....

EDIT: I have been told by a single local dealer willing to do a little research that the incentive is $8k on my leaf. that is much more interesting.

more accurate numbers look something like this $13,541 current buy out $8k incentive puts me at $5541, they're being pretty chill on the fees, so they're thinking I can get an OTD price of more like $6kish I am still thinking they'l make around $1k on this in total, so I might see if I can get it down a bit more, but I doubt it'll come down a few thousand. For what its worth the february 2017 incentives on my car were $200 better, so tiny changes, but obviously nothing major. I wish I could know what the incentives would be in April to know if I should hold out or not....

I was planning on extending lease payments for a year anyhow, and thats practically half the final buy out of this car now.

I don't have to pay any disposition fees or crap like that if i buy it our correct? plus I'm over a bit on milage by about 2k and there are some minors scratches and stuff I'd rather not risk being penalized for in a couple months when I get the final notice bill.

*** I've found this thread and the more detailed posts, exceedingly helpful so I'm posting all this info. in hopes that it will help someone else down the line, but I would love to hear any feedback or suggestions for this process if you fine folks think there is anything I'm missing.***

mcnizzel said:
I don't have to pay any disposition fees or crap like that if i buy it our correct? plus I'm over a bit on milage by about 2k and there are some minors scratches and stuff I'd rather not risk being penalized for in a couple months when I get the final notice bill.

when you buy out, that is it. The car is yours. No mileage costs or wear and tear. the car is yours. If you handed it back to them then the mileage and scratches might add something to it plus the return fees.

I logged on to the nissan website where I could see my payments and the last thing before they shut it down was to show the $8000 from Nissan plus the price I paid for the car. and it showed a zero balance. A few days later I was unable to login. I think I posted the last image I had in this thread.. somewhere between pages 82 and 90.

i guess I never uploaded it to share.. here we go. Our lease was a 2015 S with a 36 Month lease, 15,000 miles per yr. if we had gone all the way to the end our residual would have been $11,800 or something like that. As it was we were offered a buyout with 14 months still left to go on it. Balance was $16,426. We bought it for $8,426.00 and the rest was removed from the balance on the website a few days later.

at the time the lowest priced 2015 S was at $9800 in the Utah area. I now see some offered for sale for about $9000 to $11,000 and the lowest SV at $11,450.

kawan999 said:
Hello,
I have a 2014 S w/o QC. 36 months lease with no down and $230 a month. Residual value at 12100. Lease up end of June 2017. I am in TX.

31500 miles
12 bars
lost 1 key fob
missing 3 hubcaps
some scratches.

Haven't been contacted by NMAC. Consider to buy out or lease a new one with better range. The dealer where I leased from offer me a NEW 2015 SL, yes 2015, the only one left in their lot that they are trying to get rid of. They stated it is with 30kwh battery! However, I don't believe any 2015 models equip with 30kwh battery. If it is true then I may try to bargain a lease deal. Does anyone know if 2015 SL comes with 30kwh pack?

What is the buyout incentive offer right now for my leaf S? I like the bolt range but too expensive and not available at all. Any recommendation ? Strategies? or anyone in TX that able to get any lease deal at all?

03/06/17
I called NMAC today at 800-854-3310, Spoke to someone regarding my options and asked about the buy out incentives but was told to contact the dealer, he recommend I go back to the dealership where I leased my leaf S. Can someone tell me how does this thing works, how do I find out the incentives ? Someone on this thread said we can go to any Nissan dealership, any recommendation? Thanks.

I'm located in the Atlanta metro area and following Duncan's advice, I reached out to Todd Grace at Jerry Seiner Nissan in Utah, in addition to contacting about 5 dealers in the Atlanta metro area. Several ATL dealers told me that the incentive amount on my 2014 Leaf SV was ~$6500, while one dealer (Regal Nissan, where I originally leased the car) informed me the incentive was $8000. After speaking with Todd in Utah, he confirmed that the incentive on this car was in fact $9000 and I completed the transaction through them. I highly recommend Todd given this up-front-and-honest approach.

Finally, for those buyers in Georgia who have been commenting on whether you have to pay the state $200 EV surcharge a second time, I visited my local DMV office and learned that this is NOT the case. As long as they process the paperwork as a "tag transfer" rather than a full re-registration of the vehicle, you will not be hit with $200 charge again until it's scheduled renewal on your birthday.

kawan999 said:
kawan999 said:
Hello,
I have a 2014 S w/o QC. 36 months lease with no down and $230 a month. Residual value at 12100. Lease up end of June 2017. I am in TX.

31500 miles
12 bars
lost 1 key fob
missing 3 hubcaps
some scratches.

Haven't been contacted by NMAC. Consider to buy out or lease a new one with better range. The dealer where I leased from offer me a NEW 2015 SL, yes 2015, the only one left in their lot that they are trying to get rid of. They stated it is with 30kwh battery! However, I don't believe any 2015 models equip with 30kwh battery. If it is true then I may try to bargain a lease deal. Does anyone know if 2015 SL comes with 30kwh pack?

What is the buyout incentive offer right now for my leaf S? I like the bolt range but too expensive and not available at all. Any recommendation ? Strategies? or anyone in TX that able to get any lease deal at all?

03/06/17
I called NMAC today at 800-854-3310, Spoke to someone regarding my options and asked about the buy out incentives but was told to contact the dealer, he recommend I go back to the dealership where I leased my leaf S. Can someone tell me how does this thing works, how do I find out the incentives ? Someone on this thread said we can go to any Nissan dealership, any recommendation? Thanks.
The dealer can be economical with the truth behind the discount. You'll be lucky to be given a totally transparent answer. They might give you $5000 or $8000 and I don't know if the difference goes to the dealer or Nissan. Some will tell you it can't be done and another will say yes. Maybe dealers have flexibility or rigid rules or numbers they must reach? I don't know. I shared my experience from page 82 in this thread.

CantonLeaf said:
I'm located in the Atlanta metro area and following Duncan's advice, I reached out to Todd Grace at Jerry Seiner Nissan in Utah, in addition to contacting about 5 dealers in the Atlanta metro area. Several ATL dealers told me that the incentive amount on my 2014 Leaf SV was ~$6500, while one dealer (Regal Nissan, where I originally leased the car) informed me the incentive was $8000. After speaking with Todd in Utah, he confirmed that the incentive on this car was in fact $9000 and I completed the transaction through them. I highly recommend Todd given this up-front-and-honest approach.

Finally, for those buyers in Georgia who have been commenting on whether you have to pay the state $200 EV surcharge a second time, I visited my local DMV office and learned that this is NOT the case. As long as they process the paperwork as a "tag transfer" rather than a full re-registration of the vehicle, you will not be hit with $200 charge again until it's scheduled renewal on your birthday.

what car did you have that qualified for a $9000 discount?

I think you may be mistaken on this. I work for a large Georgia county and have friends in the tax assessor's office. I made the mistake of renewing my tag and then purchasing the car soon after. It's not the tag that triggers the EV fee, it's the change in ownership. It's also not the local DMV that makes the call, it's the state. Yes, you can transfer the tag, but the ownership is changing.

This site has been very helpful. My 2015 lease is ending this Friday. What are the incentives from Nissan for 2015 Leaf S (2-year lease)? If anyone know please share. My residue value is $14K.

vellabadu said:
This site has been very helpful. My 2015 lease is ending this Friday. What are the incentives from Nissan for 2015 Leaf S (2-year lease)? If anyone know please share. My residue value is $14K.
only a Nissan dealer will know this. so, contact as many dealerships as you can stomach. Give them your VIN. Tell them the lease end date. Tell them to give you the best they can offer.. be aware of the prices of used leafs in your area so you can dismiss the ones that do not add up. Ask for the price of the car, then fees and taxes and finally, the Out the Door or On the Road price.

you are not limited to dealers in your own state. Look at pages 82 onward for my experience. your balance right now should be very close to the residual. the give you a price from the balance minus the discount Nissan is offering.

One guy got $9000 (discount) and another claimed he got $11,000 off but I found it hard to understand his numbers as he wasn't telling which ones he was getting the discount off (or I wasnt reading it properly).. the balance or residual. the end story was that he got his Leaf for less than $5000.

Since Duncan posted something similar, here's a copy of the final statement in my Nissan Leasing account showing the $9K incentive along with the final buyout price that I paid ($5198, which included skipping the last month's $305 lease payment):

Summary_zps3xlpi4m7.jpg

Another poster asked about vehicle details: 2014 Leaf, model SV (no QC), 3-year lease ending 3/17, 35K miles, 12 bars.

Hope this info helps other looking to make a similar deal.

CantonLeaf said:
Since Duncan posted something similar, here's a copy of the final statement in my Nissan Leasing account showing the $9K incentive along with the final buyout price that I paid ($5198, which included skipping the last month's $305 lease payment):

Another poster asked about vehicle details: 2014 Leaf, model SV (no QC), 3-year lease ending 3/17, 35K miles, 12 bars.

Hope this info helps other looking to make a similar deal.
nice one. I love it. I want all owners that are wanting to buyout their Leaf's to get the best deal for themselves. i think we have helped a little with sharing our journey through the system.

I've got a firm quote of $5000 plus a $100 fee, which I'm going to take, unless another local dealer comes back with better one. Taxes will be another $400, so that's $5500 out the door, so to speak. I plan to resell the car privately when I find a lease I like for a new Bolt, Ioniq, or, if they actually come out with it soon enough, a Leaf 2. I hope to get at least $7k for the car in a private sale, maybe $8k. Worst case, the trade in value, according to KBB, is $5100. After three months with no lease payment that will be the break even point.

Hello everyone,

My name is Brian McIntosh and I've been contacted by several LEAF owners across the country looking to buyout their lease. If you are wanting a quick and easy process, please feel free to contact me. You can call, text, or email me.

Thank you,

Brian McIntosh
Crown Nissan of Greenville
803-522-7458
[email protected]

Back