Ending Lease: How Early is "Too Early"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherman

I dropped off my leased LEAF at a dealer, yesterday, to mark the end of my lease. This was 56 days prior to the maturity date on the lease.

The reason I dropped it off so early is because, when I first contacted the inspection service, I asked them how early I could turn the car in without incurring an early lease termination penalty. They said 60-days prior to maturity. When I was contact by NMAC last month to discuss my end-of-lease intent, I asked them if I could turn the car in 60 days prior to maturity and make the final payment myself without any penalty, and they said it was ok.

But, then, today, I called NMAC to report I turned the car in, and I asked, one last time, whether it was ok to turn the car in 60 days early, but this time they were kind of vague. Now I'm not sure if I just made a $7,000 mistake (difference between the residual and the wholesale price of a 2012 SV).

How early have people ended leases and walked away without incurring any early lease termination penalty?

I ended my first lease 2 months and 2 days early and was not penalized. Of course, I was re-leasing and had negotiated their covering the final two payments of my old lease into the deal. So it would be different if it was the end, but I suspect you'll still be ok.

I'll ask what I sense many reading this really want to know, though: why are you ending early and (presumably) not 're-upping'? Not that it's any of our business! :)

Simplest reason is that I already have a Volt, and don't need or want two cars.

The LEAF was an interesting experiment, but just not practical for a, traditionally, one-car household, even to start. It became increasingly impractical as the battery rapidly degraded.

Looks like California likes to send its residents scary-looking letters when they turn in their leases more than 30 days ahead of time:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No damage, otherwise.

I'm going to be very unhappy if my final invoice from NMAC has any kind of early lease termination charge. I turned in the car early, based on their advice. If I knew there was going to be any problem I would have just kept it parked in my driveway for another month.

^^^^ I got said letter (and was last to reply in that thread), but it was indeed just a legal formality and nothing came of it.

Not sure what you meant by "No damage", but if there are any scratches on your returned LEAF, I wouldn't be surprised if NMAC dings (sorry) you for them. I had almost $500 of 'excessive wear' waived only because I was leasing again. Good luck!

Back