EV Project Hosting Forum in San Diego - October 5

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

ECOtality is hosting another EV Project Forum in San Diego on Wednesday October 5, from 10:00-11:15am.

It will be held on the Intuit Campus (I-15 near 56), in Building 1 (The Mission Beach Room) at 7535 Torrey Santa Fe Road
in San Diego.

The purpose of the Forum is to attract additional commercial hosts to join The EV Project and receive Blink Chargers at no cost, along with a subsidy for the installation of the equipment. Business owners, property managers, property owners, or anyone who may be interested in hosting a charging station is welcome to attend to learn more about the process. LEED points can be earned for each installation as well.

The Forum is sponsored by ECOtality, SDG &E, the City of San Diego, the San Diego Regional Clean Fuels Coalition, and the California Center for Sustainable Energy.

I am working with ECOtality's Andy Hoskinson and others to spread the word about the Forum so we can attract as many interested parties as possible.

If you're interested in attending or know someone who is interested in attending, please have them RSVP for the Forum at this link:
http://www.theevproject.com/san_diego_hosting_partners_forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for helping us get the word out to potential commercial entities that may be interested in joining the Project and hosting one or more PEV Charging Stations...

Randy

Funny, I knew many business in the Bay area that would jump on this and they had no interest in contacting them. I hope these don't go to private companies like Google that can afford them and then get them for free and don't allow public use. I am convinced Ecotality is clueless in their targeting and if they had people that knew what they were doing and how to get interest they would have a list a mile one of potential customers. Ecotality has their headquarters in SF and they don't have a single public charge station within 20 miles. Not one in SF or even near their building. How does that make any business sense at all?

I would think that b and b's would jump at the chance to install blinks, and advertise this as a service for customers as well as for the community.

Aeolus said:
I would think that b and b's would jump at the chance to install blinks, and advertise this as a service for customers as well as for the community.

I would think so too - the problem, I believe, is that the "free" Blink is not free, they either have to charge the customer per hour, or pay per hour themselves, and they probably don't want to pay (or charge their customers) many multiples of the prevailing price per kWh (on top of paying for the actual kWh) to provide the service anymore than EV drivers are likely to want to pay that much to receive it. If a business such as a B&B could accept the subsidized hardware and installation, and then simply give away the juice (paying just their own electric bill), they might go for it, but from the information available, that's not what is being offered. Which is, I think, a bit of a shame, and stifling the uptake. If it's the case that Ecotality can't make a worthwhile amount of money on just the procurement and the install, and needs a high-markup perpetual revenue stream on the charging itself in order to continue, then the DOE should rethink things.

[edit to add - another thought about the typical B&B - just explicitly offering L1 would probably achieve the same level of enticement, since a typical overnight stay from afternoon through next morning should be enough for a full charge]

I haven't seen an announcement of this yet. CCSE and Ecotality are giving an EV Project update on October 16, followed by an ad hoc EV parade to commemorate National Plug-in Day. This is aimed at drivers rather than at commercial hosts. Call me a crazy optimist, but the fact that Ecotality is willing to face a room full of drivers to talk about status makes me think they must plan to have something better than empty promises and a handful of press releases.

They could win me over with a couple of good news items, like some L2 charging stations at shopping malls plus some L3 charging stations at Arco stations. I'd put down my tar and feathers and give them an EV ticker tape parade instead. :)

http://energycenter.org/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/event/info&reset=1&id=647
Date:

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Time:

12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Place: California Center for Sustainable Energy
8690 Balboa Ave., Ste. 101
Kearny Mesa, San Diego, CA 92123

Come to the workshop and learn more about:

Expected timing for the release of $15 million in FY 2011-2012 CVRP funding and how this affects rebate applicants currently on the CVRP Wait List

Status update from ECOtality's San Diego Area Manager on EV Project charger installations in the region
The presentation will include an open discussion and time for questions. Lunch will be served.

Following the presentation, all electric vehicle drivers are encouraged to participate in an ad hoc electric vehicle parade down Balboa Avenue in honor of National Plug-In Day. Join fellow EV enthusiasts in this unprecedented nationwide observance drawing global attention to the benefits of plug-in electric vehicles.

REGISTER NOW

Organized by the California Center for Sustainable Energy and the San Diego Regional Clean Fuels Coalition.

walterbays said:
I haven't seen an announcement of this yet. CCSE and Ecotality are giving an EV Project update on October 16, followed by an ad hoc EV parade to commemorate National Plug-in Day. This is aimed at drivers rather than at commercial hosts. Call me a crazy optimist, but the fact that Ecotality is willing to face a room full of drivers to talk about status makes me think they must plan to have something better than empty promises and a handful of press releases.

They could win me over with a couple of good news items, like some L2 charging stations at shopping malls plus some L3 charging stations at Arco stations. I'd put down my tar and feathers and give them an EV ticker tape parade instead. :)

http://energycenter.org/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/event/info&reset=1&id=647
Date:

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Time:

12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Place: California Center for Sustainable Energy
8690 Balboa Ave., Ste. 101
Kearny Mesa, San Diego, CA 92123

Come to the workshop and learn more about:

Expected timing for the release of $15 million in FY 2011-2012 CVRP funding and how this affects rebate applicants currently on the CVRP Wait List

Status update from ECOtality's San Diego Area Manager on EV Project charger installations in the region
The presentation will include an open discussion and time for questions. Lunch will be served.

Following the presentation, all electric vehicle drivers are encouraged to participate in an ad hoc electric vehicle parade down Balboa Avenue in honor of National Plug-In Day. Join fellow EV enthusiasts in this unprecedented nationwide observance drawing global attention to the benefits of plug-in electric vehicles.

REGISTER NOW

Organized by the California Center for Sustainable Energy and the San Diego Regional Clean Fuels Coalition.

Don't kid yourself, I sat through pitch at the Green Car Drive a week or so ago and the crowd was not pleased. Ask them for specifics and you will see a heard of deer in the headlights. Ask them if they know what an EVSE is.

TRONZ said:
Didnt we just have this thread a couple of weeks ago??? What at Eco has changed???

What has changed is we're hosting another workshop to attract additional hosts into the EV project. This is a different workshop at a different location, with more to come in the future. Just trying to let folks know about the opportunities so they can refer any potential host sites that may be interested...

EVDRIVER said:
Don't kid yourself, I sat through pitch at the Green Car Drive a week or so ago and the crowd was not pleased. Ask them for specifics and you will see a heard of deer in the headlights. Ask them if they know what an EVSE is.

Andy and the San Diego ECOtality folks know what's going on; not sure who was presenting at your event...

Hey, here's an idea....How about referring a potential host site to attend and helping to get more public infrastructure going....

Back