EVSE Adapter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a whole bunch of pics that might be useful in helping determine what is going on here. Thanks everyone and let me know if you think it is "give up" time or time to call an electrician.

photo1-1_zpsc90fc7ce.jpg

photo2-1_zpsb6a5c18b.jpg

photo3_zpsf5ac8a3c.jpg

photo4_zps18dd13a2.jpg

photo5_zps7485b54d.jpg

photo1-2_zps54d8ad5a.jpg

photo2-2_zpsfd544961.jpg

photo3-1_zpsc66bf66d.jpg

photo4-1_zps14fb1ca7.jpg

photo5-1_zpsc07864b3.jpg

Well, for one thing, the reading is not 353 volts, it's 0.353 volts, which says to me that the connector is not actually live. It could be disconnected, or just have its breaker off.

davewill said:
Well, for one thing, the reading is not 353 volts, it's 0.353 volts, which says to me that the connector is not actually live. It could be disconnected, or just have its breaker off.

I initially was thinking that it was .353 volts but then I noticed that the decimal moved over the "2", the "20", the "200" and the "200" based on the settings I moved it to so it seemed less like a decimal and more like a mode indicator.

Strange that this outlet runs directly into the breaker box above it, but all breakers are flipped on.

Is the current hypothesis that we have another breaker somewhere that is flipped off or that this is likely just an outlet that isn't running anywhere anymore? What would be the best way to figure this out? If I go looking for a breaker, am I looking for a 50 amp?

Glad to know I won't electrocute myself! :D

Thanks.

The panel indicates 208Y/120V 3 Phase 4 wire. So that should only be a 208V outlet, assuming it's the one that actually feeds the outlet. Is this something you're absolutely sure of?

Since you appear to have the run of the place, I think it maybe time to bring an electrician in to take a look for you.

Darren said:
I initially was thinking that it was .353 volts but then I noticed that the decimal moved over the "2", the "20", the "200" and the "200" based on the settings I moved it to so it seemed less like a decimal and more like a mode indicator.
It's both. The meter has a 4-digit display that can display 000-1999. The point over the two means that the number above will read as .000-1.999v, if the point moves over to the 20 the number now runs from 2.00-19.99v, if over the 200 the range is 20.0-199.9v, and finally if over the 2000 the readout runs from 200-1999 (actually it maxes out well before that).

But you can ignore all that and just read it as a decimal point. :D

mwalsh said:
The panel indicates 208Y/120V 3 Phase 4 wire. So that should only be a 208V outlet, assuming it's the one that actually feeds the outlet. Is this something you're absolutely sure of?

The conduit runs 6 inches from the outlet into the breaker box. There might be another breaker box but this seems like the most obvious.

mwalsh said:
Since you appear to have the run of the place, I think it maybe time to bring an electrician in to take a look for you.

Don't really "technically" have the run of the place. There is just an maintenance guy on site that says whatever I can do to get it working is fine by him (but he still might get excited if I call in a electrician and start rewiring the place). The property management is very hands off and won't even return calls.

If it were me, I think I'd be tempted to unscrew and remove that shroud from the service panel to see if the wiring from that conduit does terminate on one of those breakers. Be careful though, obviously, that's a live panel.

The most obvious one would be the dual-pole 30A breaker at bottom right (though a 30A breaker does seem too small for what should be the feed for a 50A outlet).

You say there is a 120V outlet below the one you're interested in. Is that on the same length of conduit?

A breaker can indicate "on" but may have been tripped at some point. A reset is usually to move it all the way "off" and then "on" again. You might try that, and measure again. But who knows what you might actually be turning off; maybe something under load.

The panel and the circuit listing seem to disagree. This circuit is listed as "dryer", and "temp receptacle". That receptacle may have been disconnected and the breaker switched to another device. What is this place, a car wash? Is there a "dryer"?

This is a painfully easy job for an electrician. If you have a modified EVSEupgrade, have the electrician put the proper L6-20 or L6-30 receptacle in (which ever is on you modified EVSE). Pay him the $150-$200, smile every day.

He can bang this out in an hour. Or, we can pontificate here with a project that is clearly beyond your capabilities.

Happy EV motoring.

PS: I guess I have to say, DON'T plug the stock EVSE into 208 volts. The outcome won't be good.

Nubo said:
A breaker can indicate "on" but may have been tripped at some point. A reset is usually to move it all the way "off" and then "on" again. You might try that, and measure again. But who knows what you might actually be turning off; maybe something under load.

The panel and the circuit listing seem to disagree. This circuit is listed as "dryer", and "temp receptacle". That receptacle may have been disconnected and the breaker switched to another device. What is this place, a car wash? Is there a "dryer"?

Parking garage to an office building. Hand wash car wash in the garge if you want them to detail your car while you are at work.

I got brave and plugged in to the 240v. Everyone was correct even though every breaker is flipped on, it appears to not be connected to anything.

TonyWilliams said:
This is a painfully easy job for an electrician. If you have a modified EVSEupgrade, have the electrician put the proper L6-20 or L6-30 receptacle in (which ever is on you modified EVSE). Pay him the $150-$200, smile every day.

He can bang this out in an hour. Or, we can pontificate here with a project that is clearly beyond your capabilities.

Happy EV motoring.

PS: I guess I have to say, DON'T plug the stock EVSE into 208 volts. The outcome won't be good.

This thread started with just a simple question of what kind of adapter did I need. I greatly appreciate that several people were kind enough to jump in and help determine it is more complicated than that. I would have no problems whatsoever paying an electrician the $150-200 to wire this up if the property manager would just get back to me and approve my doing that.

Darren said:
Nubo said:

Parking garage to an office building. Hand wash car wash in the garge if you want them to detail your car while you are at work.

I got brave and plugged in to the 240v. Everyone was correct even though every breaker is flipped on, it appears to not be connected to anything.

Yikes.

Did you try resetting the breaker?

Nubo said:
Darren said:
Nubo said:

Yikes.

Did you try resetting the breaker?

Yes. Resetting the breaker I thought it was, did not do anything.

The good and bad news was that my poking around apparently got the attention of the property managment. They finally returned my calls after months of my trying successfully to get a hold of them. They now are saying they will see what it will take to get it operational or another outlet.

Thanks everyone.

Just putting in my .02, I'm betting they'll find the wires from that outlet not connected inside the panel.
It was likely used during construction of the garage as a "temporary" 50A outlet to run a cement mixer, or maybe a temporary construction trailer feed... Likely the outlet was left and the breaker removed/position reused for something else. There should be a 50A 2-pole breaker in that panel, and there isn't one...

Darren said:
Yes. Resetting the breaker I thought it was, did not do anything.

The good and bad news was that my poking around apparently got the attention of the property managment. They finally returned my calls after months of my trying successfully to get a hold of them. They now are saying they will see what it will take to get it operational or another outlet.

Thanks everyone.

Way cool. You're very lucky. I've never encountered a property manager who would do anything for anyone, that didn't start out as their idea. ;)

Nubo said:
Way cool. You're very lucky. I've never encountered a property manager who would do anything for anyone, that didn't start out as their idea. ;)

You have no idea how accurate you are about that statement. This is more that she didn't want me poking around or "stealing" power.

Back