EVSE Charging Power Monitoring with EKM

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
If you do not want to have a computer always on to
Qurey and collect the data, the EKM Push system can
collect the data in the Cloud, and you can download
the collected data at your inconvenience, with EKM Dash,
Export the data to a CSV file, just as if you had collected
it locally.

Then process the power flow into Start-Stop events, with
total energy, and date-time information, easy to graph.

I think that EKM says that the Dash program will
accumulate and summarize the data periodically,
and email the results. I have not yet found that
part of the program. Or, was that a Cloud function,
when using the Push system?
Ok, now I am adding $100 push system and $35 EKM Ethernet to WiFi Bridge to my last price.. It's getting expensive :-(

Waidy,

It sounds like you may be planning to monitor more than 1 load. If so, you only need 1 Push module which you can connect to several meters via RS-485. Since you have 100-ampere circuits, you need No. 2 AWG wire as a minimum so I think your best option would be to use an Omni meter configured with 1 CT and 1 voltage input for each EVSE. The donut CT could be mounted inside the EVSE to make a neat installation.

By the way, while researching the connections to answer your questions, I read the manual and found out why I have been unable to talk to my EKM-25IDS meter. When I bought it, I had no plans to use data logging and did not notice the difference in model numbers. You need the (-N) option to enable the RS-485 and I did not get that option. I ordered the serial and USB adapters when I ordered two Omni meters and downloaded the software. I have been unable to communicate with the old meter and now I know why. I need to set up an RS-485 connection with my Omni meter at the workshop and try data logging.

You charging data graph is impressive. Good luck with your new EVSEs and future data gathering endeavors.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Waidy,
It sounds like you may be planning to monitor more than 1 load. If so, you only need 1 Push module which you can connect to several meters via RS-485. Since you have 100-ampere circuits, you need No. 2 AWG wire as a minimum so I think your best option would be to use an Omni meter configured with 1 CT and 1 voltage input for each EVSE. The donut CT could be mounted inside the EVSE to make a neat installation.
By the way, while researching the connections to answer your questions, I read the manual and found out why I have been unable to talk to my EKM-25IDS meter. When I bought it, I had no plans to use data logging and did not notice the difference in model numbers. You need the (-N) option to enable the RS-485 and I did not get that option. I ordered the serial and USB adapters when I ordered two Omni meters and downloaded the software. I have been unable to communicate with the old meter and now I know why. I need to set up an RS-485 connection with my Omni meter at the workshop and try data logging.
You charging data graph is impressive. Good luck with your new EVSEs and future data gathering endeavors.
Gerry
Yes, for now I am only monitoring one load. It is a 75Amp OpenEVSE. If whatever I use here works then I will add one more to monitor the 80Amp HPWC (Tesla doesn't seem to provide a charge log to drivers). GaryGID has suggested me to use the EKM-25IDS-N. However, I want to make sure the CSV is useful before I commit for a purchase.

Waidy,

Have you abandoned your TED meter or is it just in use for different circuits? Even though google power meter is gone, there are a number of free cloud hosts for logging TED data. I have been using plotwatt and have been happy with the graphic plotting on their web interface (you can also export csv if that's what you are after). TED isn't the most accurate power meter, but if you still have the hardware and aren't using it for something else, it might be the easiest (provided you can set it up to avoid glitchy powerline communications between the TED modules).

Here are some other power meter options, but they don't appear to easily support logging without a local computer, so EKM with the push module is probably a better bet.
Brultech
Wattnode
Acuvim

Howdy

hgoudey said:
Waidy,
Have you abandoned your TED meter or is it just in use for different circuits? Even though google power meter is gone, there are a number of free cloud hosts for logging TED data. I have been using plotwatt and have been happy with the graphic plotting on their web interface (you can also export csv if that's what you are after). TED isn't the most accurate power meter, but if you still have the hardware and aren't using it for something else, it might be the easiest (provided you can set it up to avoid glitchy powerline communications between the TED modules).
Here are some other power meter options, but they don't appear to easily support logging without a local computer, so EKM with the push module is probably a better bet.
Brultech
Wattnode
Acuvim
Howdy
I still have my TED5004 and they are still in operational. Since I have so many buildings and sub-panels on my property the TED5004 works really well and doing its job providing my energy production/consumption data. One of the TED CT is clamped to the garage main breaker at the main panel so I know the total power consumption at the garage. However, inside the garage there is a sub-panel that has breakers for lighting, gate, garage doors, 2 EVSE and lots of other 240 outlets. The two existing EVSEs have their own build-in power monitor so I know the power consumption for each of the EVSE. However, i am adding two new EVSEs that has no build-in power monitor. Therefore, I am looking for power monitor that manage 1 load.

Thanks for the information on other power monitor devices and the free TED iCloud URL.

Back