EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LBCev said:
I just got the quote from my July 16th assessment. Here's the damage:

Installation Permit & Processing = 240.00
Standard Installation = 1,296.68
Charging Dock, Wall Mount 15' Cable = 721.12
Shipping and Delivery = 49.95
Tax = 70.31
Total = 2,378.06

Pretty typical from what I've been reading. The rub is that we had some recent renovations, during which our electrician ran dedicated conduit from the main panel through to the drop point. All AV will need to do is mount the damned thing. It's too late to call Nissan tonight, but suffice it to say that they will be hearing from me tomorrow. There is no way that I'm paying over $2k, 50% tax credit or no. Leviton here I come.

Please consider getting another quote from a licensed electrician then call Nissan and AV to complain. Also, consider telling AV you want to be put on the list of people wanting to buy the Home Charger only. That is what I have done. My quote was about the same as yours. I called a licensed electrician for a free estimate. The estimate for standard installation he gave me after looking at my home and panel was HALF the price the AV contacted electrician had written up!

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
JPC2822 said:
I plant to drive 50 to 70 miles a day- a 120 V trickle charge won't work for me- except for a Friday evening or weekend before Monday!

120v might work for ~70% of the pack, it depends on how fast the charge is and how long you can leave it charging.

The guesses for a full charge @ 120v have been anywhere from 16 to 20 hours. So 70% would be 11-14 hours and you would have to start charging at 6pm to have the car ready by 8am the next day, if you assume the slower rate. This would work for me, as those happen to be both the times I get home and leave for work. Of course, if the charge rate was a bit faster, or maybe I didn't use quite as much of the pack, so much the better!
I'll go you one better than that. Assume you have 12 hours/night to charge, and that gives you 60%. Assume you average 60 miles/day and that uses 65%.

Weekend: Charge to 100%
Mon: Down to 35%, back up to 95%.
Tues: Down to 30%, back up to 90%.
Wed: Down to 25%, back up to 85%.
Thur: Down to 20%, back up to 80%.
Fri: Down to 15%, back up to 75%.

No sweat. You can drive the car 40 miles/day on the weekend and still have it fully charged Monday morning if it's plugged in 12 hours Saturday and Sunday nights.

I agree that would work if you are driving a set number of miles a day and that it is 40 (give or take) miles a day. For those of us who work in a business where we may need to travel a little further on one day- lets say 70 miles and the next day 50, etc. the 120V sounds risky to me?

If I were not getting EV Project EVSE, I'd get it from AV / Leviton & get it installed this year. 50% off will probably end this year.

JPC2822 said:
planet4ever said:
Weekend: Charge to 100%
Mon: Down to 35%, back up to 95%.
Tues: Down to 30%, back up to 90%.
Wed: Down to 25%, back up to 85%.
Thur: Down to 20%, back up to 80%.
Fri: Down to 15%, back up to 75%.
I agree that would work if you are driving a set number of miles a day and that it is 40 (give or take) miles a day. For those of us who work in a business where we may need to travel a little further on one day- lets say 70 miles and the next day 50, etc. the 120V sounds risky to me?
True enough, especially if you get a week where you have to drive the longer distance nearly every day. You could squeak through, given my assumptions, if you had three days in the week when you drove 70 miles, and it wouldn't matter which three it was. But that would leave you limping home Friday night with a speed restriction and no heater or air conditioner. You'd be wiser to drive 55 whenever possible during that week. (I'm assuming you will be on the road much of the day, so charging at work would not be an option.)

The real point of my original post was to demonstrate that you don't have to charge to 100% every night for the car to be viable.

I had my assessment yesterday by an independent contractor.

Believe it or not - AV has already sent the quote.

I have a breaker panel less then 5 feet from the EVSE installation location with three open slots, so the installation is basically running less then 5 feet of conduit/cord and screwing the wires into the breakers.

product/service description quantity unit price line total

standard installation 1 1,296.68 1,296.68

charging dock, wall mount 25' cable * 1 721.12 721.12

installation permit and processing 1 150.00 150.00

shipping and delivery 1 49.95 49.95

sales tax * US$59.49

total US$2,277.24

I can do the install myself for well under $100 + the EVSE cost

LakeLeaf said:
I had my assessment yesterday by an independent contractor.

Believe it or not - AV has already sent the quote.

I have a breaker panel less then 5 feet from the EVSE installation location with three open slots, so the installation is basically running less then 5 feet of conduit/cord and screwing the wires into the breakers.

product/service description quantity unit price line total

standard installation 1 1,296.68 1,296.68

charging dock, wall mount 25' cable * 1 721.12 721.12

installation permit and processing 1 150.00 150.00

shipping and delivery 1 49.95 49.95

sales tax * US$59.49

total US$2,277.24

I can do the install myself for well under $100 + the EVSE cost

Get quote from a local electrician and THEN call AV and tell them the price difference. Simply telling them you can do it yourself doesn't mean much to them since you're comparing do-it-yourself vs professional installation. Throw them a quote of $450 from a licensed electrician and they won't be able to do anything but squirm.

evnow said:
50% off will probably end this year.

Eep! Stop reminding me of my nightmares, like the $7500 credit evaporating before most LEAF buyers can use it!

Anyway, I'm still considering my options, but now I'm of the mind that I prefer the dual-meter TOU idea than the easy job of just using my Dryer conduit since I don't like the idea of my dryer being run while I sleep only to find my car insufficiently charged and it also makes breaking out the utility "cost of the car" easier: easier to brag how much less I'm paying in Gas-equivalent! :)

That said, what really has me nervous is that my basement is mostly finished and so running sufficient-grade NM is well beyond my ability -- or more so that patching dry-wall to run it is not a question of ability but a question of insufficient quality for a self-job. So what is people's experience here? Have any of you had electrical work done recently? Have you hired / worked with an electrician before? What are your experiences? What are the limits of fishing line? My box and meter are on the opposite side of the house from the garage: will this make running line through the interior impossible? Just wanted to ask here first since I probably won't get to calling electricians until October (since I expect delivery in April).

I wonder if the charging unit qualifies for the VA Energy Efficiency Tax Holiday the second weekend in October...?

EDIT: Plus, it's an excuse to ask a certified electrician about running speed wrapped dual-Cat6 dual-fiber dual-coax wire to a junction box and with drops in most rooms. Heh heh heh...

TimeHorse said:
evnow said:
50% off will probably end this year.

Eep! Stop reminding me of my nightmares, like the $7500 credit evaporating before most LEAF buyers can use it!

Anyway, I'm still considering my options, but now I'm of the mind that I prefer the dual-meter TOU idea than the easy job of just using my Dryer conduit since I don't like the idea of my dryer being run while I sleep only to find my car insufficiently charged and it also makes breaking out the utility "cost of the car" easier: easier to brag how much less I'm paying in Gas-equivalent! :)

That said, what really has me nervous is that my basement is mostly finished and so running sufficient-grade NM is well beyond my ability -- or more so that patching dry-wall to run it is not a question of ability but a question of insufficient quality for a self-job. So what is people's experience here? Have any of you had electrical work done recently? Have you hired / worked with an electrician before? What are your experiences? What are the limits of fishing line? My box and meter are on the opposite side of the house from the garage: will this make running line through the interior impossible? Just wanted to ask here first since I probably won't get to calling electricians until October (since I expect delivery in April).

I wonder if the charging unit qualifies for the VA Energy Efficiency Tax Holiday the second weekend in October...?

EDIT: Plus, it's an excuse to ask a certified electrician about running speed wrapped dual-Cat6 dual-fiber dua

l-coax wire to a junction box and with drops in most rooms. Heh heh heh...

I don't think Nissan will sell 200K cars before you get yours so don;t worry about the credit.

JPC2822 said:
LBCev said:
I just got the quote from my July 16th assessment. Here's the damage:

Installation Permit & Processing = 240.00
Standard Installation = 1,296.68
Charging Dock, Wall Mount 15' Cable = 721.12
Shipping and Delivery = 49.95
Tax = 70.31
Total = 2,378.06

Pretty typical from what I've been reading. The rub is that we had some recent renovations, during which our electrician ran dedicated conduit from the main panel through to the drop point. All AV will need to do is mount the damned thing. It's too late to call Nissan tonight, but suffice it to say that they will be hearing from me tomorrow. There is no way that I'm paying over $2k, 50% tax credit or no. Leviton here I come.

Please consider getting another quote from a licensed electrician then call Nissan and AV to complain. Also, consider telling AV you want to be put on the list of people wanting to buy the Home Charger only. That is what I have done. My quote was about the same as yours. I called a licensed electrician for a free estimate. The estimate for standard installation he gave me after looking at my home and panel was HALF the price the AV contacted electrician had written up!

Thanks for the advice. I just contacted Nissan and AV to question the quote. I explained the previous work done and asked for a re-evaluation of the quote. The rep was very helpful and put me in queue to have a "custom" quote for a lower installation. I also asked to be put on the list of people waiting to buy the home charger only. The rep said that the turnaround for the new quote should be back in a week. Hopefully I can cut this in half and go through AV (for warranty reasons), otherwise I may scrap AV altogether and look to another EV charging solution and my electrician.

With all the insane pricing from AV I can't believe anyone from ABG has missed such a big story. Wait, I know why, they don't do any research. I think this is a big EV story at the moment and more relevant than an SUV that gets an extra 2 MPG!

My assessment was done on July 7th
I received a charger installation quote this morning August 13th (slightly more than 72 hours later) for a total of $2,522.07
I have an existing 240V / 40A service to a Clipper Creek charger from the MINI E program in the exact location needed for the Leaf. Labor is quoted at $1,387.90 to install the Leaf charger in the same location, next to the existing disconnect.

THIS IS A RIPOFF!!!

FYI for MINI E people, I have been informed by Clipper Creek that they will have an agreement with Nissan and a UL labeled replacement J1772 cord and plug available this fall.

Just got my quote in after five weeks. This is for a 15 foot conduit run along one wall to an existing breaker panel:

custom installation 1,387.90
charging dock, wall mount 25' cable 721.12
installation permit and processing 307.00
shipping and delivery 49.95
sales tax * US$66.70
total US$2,532.67

I would guess this would take a skilled person 2 hours max plus driving time, say three hours total and $75 in parts. $1387 seems expensive, even in Silicon Valley. So I'll just wait and buy the 24-amp Leviton EVSE instead. I'll plug it into an unused dryer outlet in the garage which is already converted to a 6-30R receptacle.

I wonder how many customers will actually bite on the AV program?

Juiced said:
FYI for MINI E people, I have been informed by Clipper Creek that they will have an agreement with Nissan and a UL labeled replacement J1772 cord and plug available this fall.

Thanks for this information Juiced. That is good news! I didn't sign up for the assessment because I was hoping to use my Clipper Creek unit.

Juiced said:
My assessment was done on July 7th
I received a charger installation quote this morning August 13th (slightly more than 72 hours later) for a total of $2,522.07
I have an existing 240V / 40A service to a Clipper Creek charger from the MINI E program in the exact location needed for the Leaf. Labor is quoted at $1,387.90 to install the Leaf charger in the same location, next to the existing disconnect.

THIS IS A RIPOFF!!!

Same as mine- you really should call Nissan and explain this in detail, AV must think people are stupid and can't figure out that screwing a box on the wall is all it will take in some cases.

soareyes said:
Juiced said:

Thanks for this information Juiced. That is good news! I didn't sign up for the assessment because I was hoping to use my Clipper Creek unit.

Exactly, it is an easy conversion, even for avcon boxes.

I just now got my quote, 31 days after the assesment:
US$
1,475.72 - custom installation *

.. 721.12 - charging dock, wall mount 25' cable *

.. 250.00 - installation permit and processing

.... 49.95 - shipping and delivery

.... 67.07 - sales tax *
2,563.86 - total

your quote details
Pull permit. Install (1) 40 Ampere 240 Volt circuit breaker in existing utility panel. Install 50 feet of feeder from utility panel to wall mounted Charging Dock. Feeder (Conduit or Romex wire) will be mounted to existing surfaces or run through crawl space or attic. Charging Dock will be installed on customer preferred location and will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool. Customer will be trained on operation and troubleshooting and inspector will be called for verification.
It might almost be worth going for it just to see how they manage to add a circuit breaker to my panel that is already full, with everything doubled up, and how they manage to snake a wire up to the attic from that interior panel, and get it out to the eves where they can run it around the outside of the house.

But I'm not going to do it. I can live with 120v, and I can also get a cheap sub-panel and an EVSE installed for half the price, right where I want it, two feet from the meter and main breaker.

Here is mine got it today. Been waiting since July 5. My home is prewired with a 40amp EV circuit, just plug and play.
I plan to get the charging dock only but for $50 shipping I probably will get a different brand.

custom installation 1,054.90

charging dock, wall mount 25' cable 721.12

installation permit and processing 235.00

shipping and delivery 49.95

sales tax * US$63.10
total US$2,124.07

INTERESTING THAT ALL ARE PERMITS ARE $221 (more or less).
I called my city and I asked how much it is for me to pull the permit and they told me it costs $111. So, AV and/or its electrician is charging double for what it would cost me to pull my own permit. I understand that city's charge a little more for electricians to pull the permit, but I don't think it's that much more than when I pull it as the home owner.
Wonder how much your city's permit for electric work is?

Back