EVSE options for 2013+ Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ObiQuiet said:
My question is, what are the pros/cons for a *new* unit from EVSEUpgrade, versus (e.g.) a Versicharge?
Pro: smaller, portable
Pro: dual-voltage
Con: $1000 vs. $850
Even: Indoor/Outdoor(?)

What else? Thanks for any help or pointers to threads I missed!

1. EVSE Upgrade is only capable of supplying 20 amps, VersiCharge (and many others) can supply 30 amps to maximize the Leaf's charging speed if it has the 6.6 kW (6.0 actual) on board charger. If you have a Leaf S without the Charge Package (or pre-2013 model) and thus have the 3.3 kW charger, buying a plug-in 16 or 20 amp dedicated 240 volt EVSE is a much better value than buying a brand new upgraded OEM EVSE. Clipper Creek LCS-25P (with your choice of two different plugs) is only $545 plus tax and a small shipping charge.

2. Some EVSEs (but not EVSE Upgrade) also have the ability to set a timer or start delay, useful if you have a Leaf S (no start timer, end-only timer) and want to ensure charging does not start before a specific time which has a lower price for electricity. Examples include the new Blink HQ and the Schneider units.

Personally, if I am going to spend $1,000 I'd rather buy a dedicated 240 volt EVSE than buy a brand new upgraded OEM one. Keep in mind that for those who leased, or bought used, there is a 30% tax credit towards buying and installing a new dedicated EVSE which at $1,000 will allow you to also upgrade your included OEM EVSE for basically free, if you want greater flexibility. This tax credit may not be extended after the end of this year. Those who purchased their EV new may have trouble claiming both the $7500 Federal tax credit for an EV purchase and this credit during the same tax year without incurring an AMT calculation.

RonDawg said:
Some EVSEs (but not EVSE Upgrade) also have the ability to set a timer or start delay, useful if you have a Leaf S (no start timer, end-only timer) and want to ensure charging does not start before a specific time which has a lower price for electricity.
I'm disappointed in you Ron. I thought you knew better than that. A start timer has no advantage over an end timer in trying to hit a lowest cost electricity window.

RonDawg said:
Keep in mind that for those who leased, or bought used, there is a 30% tax credit towards buying and installing a new dedicated EVSE which at $1,000 will allow you to also upgrade your included OEM EVSE for basically free, if you want greater flexibility. This tax credit may not be extended after the end of this year.
I don't understand your "basically free" comment. If you pay $1000 for purchase and installation of an EVSE the most you can possibly get as a tax credit is $300. The only way to get a $1000 credit would be to spend $3333 or more. As for "may not be extended", I judge the chance of an extension to be virtually zero. It was slipped in last year as "stimulus" in the pork-laden "fiscal cliff" resolution. It really expired at the end of 2011, and was given a brief second life.

RonDawg said:
Those who purchased their EV new may have trouble claiming both the $7500 Federal tax credit for an EV purchase and this credit during the same tax year without incurring an AMT calculation.
It's worse than that. If you purchased (not leased) a new EV in 2013 your chances of getting any EVSE tax credit are probably less than one in a hundred. I have calculated that for a joint return you would need net taxable income no less than $60K and no more than $70K and some rather special investment and deduction cases. And even in that window you are likely to get less than the 30% max.

Ray

planet4ever said:
RonDawg said:
Some EVSEs (but not EVSE Upgrade) also have the ability to set a timer or start delay, useful if you have a Leaf S (no start timer, end-only timer) and want to ensure charging does not start before a specific time which has a lower price for electricity.
I'm disappointed in you Ron. I thought you knew better than that. A start timer has no advantage over an end timer in trying to hit a lowest cost electricity window.

If you have an extended window to take advantage of it, yes. But let's presume that you have a super-off-peak rate that starts at midnight and runs to 6 AM. That works well for most people. But what if you're one of the "I have to leave at 4 AM" people?

With a 3.3 kW on board charger, if the car is significantly depleted enough, the car may need more than 4 hours to charge. But what if the driver doesn't need all that electricity to get him or her through that day? Why should he or she pay a higher per/kwH cost for an extra hour or two of charging that he or she will not expect to need? Or should he or she now get up at midnight (or ask another family member to do so) just to ensure charging does not initiate too early?

I normally use about 1 bar going to work (downhill) and 3 bars going back home (uphill). Just now, I pulled into my garage with 3 bars left and an estimated 3:30 charging time @240 volts, as I had things to do before and after work that used up more battery than usual. Granted with my oddball schedule I can never take advantage of off-peak charging, but what if I was working a normal dayshift schedule and this happened to me?

I'll admit that relatively few people would fall into this situation. But the possibility does exist. And the person I replied to was asking about any other drawbacks, and the lack of a start timer on the EVSE Upgrade is one of them, whether or not you regard that to be really an issue or not.

Just thought of another possibility: you know those folks here who prefer to charge only to about 50% or so (or whatever that "sweet spot" is) to help preserve their batteries, especially in hot weather? If you know how long to charge your car to get to that spot given the amount remaining, you can adjust your start and end timers to achieve that. Oh wait, the Leaf S doesn't have a start timer...so for folks who got this model, this is the only way to do it, short of going out to the charging station at the right time to initiate charging.

RonDawg said:
Keep in mind that for those who leased, or bought used, there is a 30% tax credit towards buying and installing a new dedicated EVSE which at $1,000 will allow you to also upgrade your included OEM EVSE for basically free, if you want greater flexibility. This tax credit may not be extended after the end of this year.
I don't understand your "basically free" comment. If you pay $1000 for purchase and installation of an EVSE the most you can possibly get as a tax credit is $300. The only way to get a $1000 credit would be to spend $3333 or more. As for "may not be extended", I judge the chance of an extension to be virtually zero. It was slipped in last year as "stimulus" in the pork-laden "fiscal cliff" resolution. It really expired at the end of 2011, and was given a brief second life.

What I'm saying is:

Spend $1000 on a total cost for EVSE plus install. 30% of that means you get $300 at tax time, which just happens to be around the price of an EVSE upgrade to your existing OEM EVSE. In other words, spending at least $1000 towards a dedicated 240 volt EVSE will net you (if you don't fall into AMT) enough tax savings to basically pay for upgrading the "trickle charge" EVSE that came with your car.

The person I was replying to wanted to know which was a better value, spending $1000 on a brand new upgraded OEM EVSE (apart from the one that came with the car) or spending a bit less for a dedicated 240 volt EVSE. I'm saying spend $1000 on the dedicated one and get enough money back from Uncle Sam to pay for the one that's in the car to be upgraded, and have the best of both worlds. This is the route I'm thinking of doing myself, even though I lived with 120 volt charging for 9 months.

I'm aware that this credit has been extended twice, and may not be extended a third time. That's why I decided to buy a dedicated 240 volt EVSE, even though 120 volt "trickle charging" has been sufficient for my needs. Then again, with the current shutdown, you never know what compromises will be made to get DC running again. Isn't that what basically happened the last time with the "fiscal cliff" negotiations?

RonDawg said:
Just thought of another possibility: you know those folks here who prefer to charge only to about 50% or so (or whatever that "sweet spot" is) to help preserve their batteries, especially in hot weather? If you know how long to charge your car to get to that spot given the amount remaining, you can adjust your start and end timers to achieve that.
Point taken. But as you said, this only applies to people who want to charge to something other than 80% or 100%. And it would require resetting your timer every night based on your current state of charge.

Rather than asking Nissan for a start time for the S model I think it would be much more productive to push them to provide a variable charge limit.

Ray

I wish I could do the Open EVSE but theres no way I have enough time to figure that out. Doesn't make sense to me to do an upgrade on my existing cord since I might be away from home and need a standard cable.

This leaves my final choices down to the GE Indoor Level 2 or the Siemens-VC30BLKB. Both have very good reviews and the GE is certainly cheaper (plus can probably get it down another 10% with a home depot coupon)

Thoughts? Anyone make this choice already and can share their analysis?

http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30BLKB-VersiCharge-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B0083ZZFEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382640268&sr=8-1&keywords=ev+charging+station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Level-2-Wall-Mount-Watt-Station-EVWSWBH-CP02/204269636?N=c3gj#customer_reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

latenight71 said:
I wish I could do the Open EVSE but theres no way I have enough time to figure that out. Doesn't make sense to me to do an upgrade on my existing cord since I might be away from home and need a standard cable...
Perhaps you are unaware that the upgraded Panasonic/Nissan EVSE will work at both 120 Volts and 240 Volts. It is true though, that if you expect to need it on the road you would need to unplug it from home and take it with you and that could get old if you did it every day.

I bought from a local company that has been in the EVSE business a long time.

Manzanita Micro - THE P3: PERSONAL POWER PORT

Cost: $750
Cord Length: 20ft
Outlet: NEMA 6-50 and or 14-50.
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great unit and quality customer service, well made and HD construction. I installed a new 50a breakers, w/ wiring for future proofing (cost $200). I looked at the Siemens Vesicharge, Bosch PowerMax 30a and Blink, but opted for more heft and quality, while also supporting a local builder from Kingston, WA. :D

dgpcolorado said:
latenight71 said:
I wish I could do the Open EVSE but theres no way I have enough time to figure that out. Doesn't make sense to me to do an upgrade on my existing cord since I might be away from home and need a standard cable...
Perhaps you are unaware that the upgraded Panasonic/Nissan EVSE will work at both 120 Volts and 240 Volts. It is true though, that if you expect to need it on the road you would need to unplug it from home and take it with you and that could get old if you did it every day.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Doesn't the 220 use a different type of outlet?

geovision said:
I bought from a local company that has been in the EVSE business a long time.

Manzanita Micro - THE P3: PERSONAL POWER PORT

Cost: $750
Cord Length: 20ft
Outlet: NEMA 6-50 and or 14-50.
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great unit and quality customer service, well made and HD construction. I installed a new 50a breakers, w/ wiring for future proofing (cost $200). I looked at the Siemens Vesicharge, Bosch PowerMax 30a and Blink, but opted for more heft and quality, while also supporting a local builder from Kingston, WA. :D

They recently started making them, they have made EV charges for a long time not EVSE units. None of their products are UL listed so they are a bit expensive for a non-listed product as you are paying for the limited production enclosure and low volume. Supporting local EV business is good though.

latenight71 said:
Thanks so much for the feedback. Doesn't the 220 use a different type of outlet?

You can get the various types of adapters for 120v, 240v and even RV styles from EVSE Upgrages.

I got mine last week with the 120v adapter and the 240v Dryer/washer connector. Used it on both Voltages, works very well and can now charge at my friends house using his 240v dryer outlet at a faster pace.

Take a look here: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My upgraded brick with both adapters fit well inside it's bag and I keep it in the Leaf, my house 240v @ 30amp unit is the Bosch Power Max, and it works great.

Fred

latenight71 said:
dgpcolorado said:
latenight71 said:

Yes, but you can purchase an adapter to use the EVSE Upgrade with a 120 volt outlet, or even a different type of 240 volt outlet:

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

latenight71 said:
This leaves my final choices down to the GE Indoor Level 2 or the Siemens-VC30BLKB. Both have very good reviews and the GE is certainly cheaper (plus can probably get it down another 10% with a home depot coupon)

http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30BLKB-VersiCharge-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B0083ZZFEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382640268&sr=8-1&keywords=ev+charging+station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Level-2-Wall-Mount-Watt-Station-EVWSWBH-CP02/204269636?N=c3gj#customer_reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why are you excluding the Bosch unit?

QueenBee said:
latenight71 said:

Why are you excluding the Bosch unit?

I only saw one review on Amazon and it wasn't good.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-EL-50600-A-Xpress-Charging-Station/dp/B00EYTYMD4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382707124&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Bosch+Power+Max+evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I looked at both of those models (+ Clipper Creek and Blink) and went with a much better built unit, with ability to upgrade for future proofing quick chargers.

Great service and made in USA, from the NW in Kingston, WA (Greater Seattle Area).

THE P3: PERSONAL POWER PORT
Price: $750.00
Ask for Matt Moreno Discount: $700.00
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best quality / value EVSE around. (make sure you fill out tax exempt form. :)

latenight71 said:
Doesn't the 220 use a different type of outlet?
Yes. And there are different 220 outlets depending on power level(15a, 20a, 30a, 50a), service type (220 vs 220/110), and are available in regular push in or twist lock design.

There are other higher voltages also. You don't need to know every configuration. Just get the outlet to match the plug or plug to match the outlet.

If you want to see them all try Google images search for "NEMA chart" NEMA is short for National Electrical Manufacturer's Association.

geovision said:
I looked at both of those models (+ Clipper Creek and Blink) and went with a much better built unit, with ability to upgrade for future proofing quick chargers.

Great service and made in USA, from the NW in Kingston, WA (Greater Seattle Area).

THE P3: PERSONAL POWER PORT
Price: $750.00
Ask for Matt Moreno Discount: $700.00
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best quality / value EVSE around. (make sure you fill out tax exempt form. :)

Quality is subjective since there is not much history on the reliability and compatibility of these units on many and multiple vehicles. In addition this unit is not UL listed so the "value" is subjective as you can't compare it to other wall units that are UL listed and tested extensively. There is not much debate that metal housing is quality over plastic but the ability to be weather sealed, corrosion resistant, and other factors is strictly subjective.

Hi

I recently got my New Nissan SL 2013. In my Garage i don't have any 240V outlet. I only have 110V outlet. Please let me know what are my option to get 240v Charger installed.
Who are the providers and which is best and low in cost including installation.

I stay in Bay Area CA, (San Jose)

Thanks

Manoj

I finished my Kickstarter 'JuiceBox' base kit last weekend. (Now $149 + shipping (around $16 to WA), + whatever input and output cables you want)....includes everything in the kit you need, other than some solder rings for the 7 signal wires to the relay and ground, and a 2nd nut for the ground screw.....

Pretty easy build, the instructions are COMPLETE.

Worked first time, charging at 24A (car at 65%, so I don't know it it should be more or less...). I put a 14-50 plug on it going into a properly wired 50A outlet.

Now to figure out how to mount it so I can take it with me if I want.

total out the door was $341 including cables and shipping (my time was donated)...now to keep the receipts around for tax time.

Kind of boring really, no lights, noises, nothing except 'it works'.

Anyone know what the expected charging currents SHOULD be at various SOC levels?

I also want to add my 2 cents about the Juicebox -

I got it last week, and was one of the first to finish the project which didn't work at first. I went through all the steps and my troubleshooting with Valery (the Juicebox designer/owner) and we found that the instructions didn't include a ground from the PCB to the main ground post and bingo it worked.

I set the amps to 25 A (you can do that with a pot and clamp meter) and it charges flawlessly at 6 KW.

Yes - you are right - it works. Nothing fancy - BUT you can add an lcd screen like the OPEN EVSE arduino (as it is an arduino).

After it is done charging you can hear the Pilot signal communicating with the juicebox. Unplug it and it isn't there. (It really isn't that noticeable).

It was about $350 total and I would recommend it.

Back