EVSE options for 2013+ Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pkarza said:
I also want to add my 2 cents about the Juicebox -

I got it last week, and was one of the first to finish the project which didn't work at first. I went through all the steps and my troubleshooting with Valery (the Juicebox designer/owner) and we found that the instructions didn't include a ground from the PCB to the main ground post and bingo it worked.

I set the amps to 25 A (you can do that with a pot and clamp meter) and it charges flawlessly at 6 KW.

Yes - you are right - it works. Nothing fancy - BUT you can add an lcd screen like the OPEN EVSE arduino (as it is an arduino).

After it is done charging you can hear the Pilot signal communicating with the juicebox. Unplug it and it isn't there. (It really isn't that noticeable).

It was about $350 total and I would recommend it.

How much did you have to turn the current adjustment dial to get 25A?
I was charging at about 65% SOC, and moved the pot 10-20 degrees, and current didn't change detectably...

If you have the pot all the way to the left - it is 30A by default.

you need to unplug - and turn the pot slightly to the right - or about 1/3 of the way then plug it back in - connect to your car or simulator

Put a clamp meter on one of the hot wires and adjust the amperage until it reads 25A ( it's not EXACT - I settled on 25.4A)

You need a clamp meter to do it best

Okay, I read through all 13 pages, and I'm still a bit uncertain. BTW, the forum is great. I came to it two weeks ago, learned an awful lot from a bunch of patient people and I just put a deposit on a '13 S with QC. Pick up on Thursday.

Some of my questions:

In the first post, there is mention of a Blink for $0 - $200, with 6KW capability. Sounds great to me, but I can't find it.

My second choice seems to be the Slickcharge. For $550, it sounds like a fairly good deal and will do everything I need. Since I'm comfortable with minor assembly, is there any reason to choose a more expensive unit? Will they do anything the Slick won't?

Again, many thanks.

None of the conversions or DIY units are UL approved and it can be hard to get an inspector to sigh off on them if they are hard wired.

A better solution is to just have an electrician install a wall receptacle. After the inspector signs off on it then plug in your upgraded EVSE, Juicebox, or OpenEVSE unit. For Ingineer's conversion you would need a L6-30 receptacle. This is becoming a defacto standard for up to 24A.

The car has a 6.6K charger, so I plan to install a 40 amp outlet. I'd like to be able to charge as fast as possible. I believe the Slickcharge will do that.

Graycenphil said:
My second choice seems to be the Slickcharge. For $550, it sounds like a fairly good deal and will do everything I need. Since I'm comfortable with minor assembly, is there any reason to choose a more expensive unit? Will they do anything the Slick won't?

Graycenphil said:
The car has a 6.6K charger, so I plan to install a 40 amp outlet. I'd like to be able to charge as fast as possible. I believe the Slickcharge will do that.

Unless you have to have dual voltage capability in a single EVSE, for only $45 more you can get the Clipper Creek HCS-40, fully assembled in the US. It comes with a 3 year warranty.

Has anyone had problems with the Slickcharge?

I don't forsee much advantage to the dual voltage; I guess I would just use the Nissan cord for 120 volt charging.

smkettner said:
Slickcharge? I avoid stuff with a gimmick name.
It's just a brand name for these folks' OpenEVSE kits: https://localmotors.com/shop/slick-charge-evse-charger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like their website, and their whole concept. But I emailed them with a few questions yesterday, and they still haven't responded. I don't like that so much.

Redjr said:
{quote} If you have something that works well, is well priced and that you love why would you be looking to replace it? I would stick with your evse upgraded equipment

At the risk if hijacking....

Phil is a great guy, God bless him for offering this upgrade at a reasonable price, I am more than happy with his upgraded cord on my 2012. But...

I am going to be leasing a second Leaf, this one for my S/O, and to get Level 2 capabilities at her house may be expensive. As she spends time at my house, as well as works in my town, my thought is getting a more permanant, and higher output EVSE installed in my shop for a few reasons.

1.) It's an inexpensive and simple wiring job, the 10-2 (or 8-2) AGW run would/could only be a couple feet from my breaker box. Materials (and labor) would be minimal.

2.) She would charge at level I at her house, but if she needed to, she could drive her Leaf down to VLBW in the evening, still charge enough overnight to be able to get to work. Then, because I am (basically) retired, I could snatch her car from work, and charge it quickly on my TOU rates, for half (or less) the cost that she could at her house, and return it to her. I dont anticipate this scenerio to happen often, but it will, I know her, her children, and the amount of errands that she does at night.

3.) A third charging option would be helpful in my charging needs/wants. I could leave my upgraded Level II charging cable at another (already wired Level II) location where I spend 3 days a week, for about 4 hours, when my home is at peak TOU.

4.) There aren't any (that I'm aware of) Level III charging stations in the state of WI, so like others on the forum, we don't have the option to quick charge away from home.

5.)Phil's upgrade is 287 plus shipping (twice), that puts me at $330ish, and an addititional charging station is either $600 (Clipper) or $850 (Siemens). His upgrade won't benefit her at her house without an expensive electrical upgrade, but either of the other two would benefit both of us. The advantages seem to warrant the cost, at least to me, or at least some consideration.

So in this situation, I was asking, if the Siemens would enable the 2013 to utilize its full charging capabilities, as to where the Clipper may not?

Edit: One more piece of the pie is, If I run into situation 2 (and I will), I only have 3 hours of TOU off peak hours in the morning that the car will be available to me to charge, so quicker is better, in this case. Of course, how much am I willing to pay for this quick(er) charging option.

Sorry for the novel, sometimes, it's all I know how to do. :roll:[/quote]

Here is an option for your...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
Want to make a comprehensive list here.

Pls post options you know of / use here.

1. EVSE upgrade

Upgrade the EVSE that comes with Leaf.

Max Power : 5kW (?)
Upgrade Cost : $287
New : $1,027

link : evseupgrade.com

2. Open EVSE

Get a kit from an open source hardware design. Buy rest of the items and assemble.

Max Power > 6kW
Cost : ~$500

3. Blink EVSE

Blink EVSEs have had over heating issues with RAV4EV and Fit EV. No issues with Leaf '13 have been reported. My Blink is working without any overheating issues. If you see any overheating issues (monitor every 30 minutes when you charge the first few times), either ask Ecotality to upgrade it or if out of warranty upgrade it by changing the cable or other means.

Max Power > 6kW
Cost : $0 to ~$200

4. Clipper Creek LCS-25

Max Power ~ 5kW
Cost : $595 (regular $700)

Link : http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5. Bosch Automotive PowerMax L2 EVSEs expected to ship in June '13. Same units sold by Delta & Blink.

16 Amps, 12 ft cord : $449
30 Amps, 18 ft cord : $593
30 Amps, 25 ft cord : $749

http://www.pluginnow.com/power-max3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6. Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot etc have multiple EVSE brands upwards of $800.

7. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i got my 2013 ocean blue SV with QC a week ago.
Now i am in market looking for charging options in garage. I went through the threads here and there is lots of information.
I am having an electrician put in a 240V/30A outlet in my garage. Havnt decided the NEMA plug yet.
Planning to use a 8/3 guage wire on a separate 40A breaker.
Looking at the opinions from users here, I am considering two options
1. EVSE upgrade: leased a car so this could be an issue later. The charge seems to at 16-20A however.
2. clipper creek seems to be a good options HCS -40A / 30A for $644

any thoughts/ suggestions to make decision will be very helpful. Thanks

maini said:
evnow said:
Want to make a comprehensive list here.

Pls post options you know of / use here.

1. EVSE upgrade
link : evseupgrade.com

2. Open EVSE

3. Blink EVSE

4. Clipper Creek LCS-25

5. Bosch

6. Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot etc have multiple EVSE brands upwards of $800.

7. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8. JESLA 40 amp portable http://www.QuickChargePower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option, though not for everyone: There is often an Opensource unit for sale in the "Private For Sale" subforum, usually around $300. It would basically be a homebuilt unit, with no warranty, but I think I trust the homebuilders on this forum more than many of the manufacturers. It would also be repairable with relatively inexpensive parts.

Graycenphil said:
Another option, though not for everyone: There is often an Opensource unit for sale in the "Private For Sale" subforum, usually around $300. It would basically be a homebuilt unit, with no warranty, but I think I trust the homebuilders on this forum more than many of the manufacturers. It would also be repairable with relatively inexpensive parts.

Open Source is number two on the list.

goelectric2014 said:
i got my 2013 ocean blue SV with QC a week ago.
Now i am in market looking for charging options in garage. I went through the threads here and there is lots of information.
I am having an electrician put in a 240V/30A outlet in my garage. Havnt decided the NEMA plug yet.
Planning to use a 8/3 guage wire on a separate 40A breaker.
Looking at the opinions from users here, I am considering two options
1. EVSE upgrade: leased a car so this could be an issue later. The charge seems to at 16-20A however.
2. clipper creek seems to be a good options HCS -40A / 30A for $644

any thoughts/ suggestions to make decision will be very helpful. Thanks
Install a 40a supply minimum if pulling wire. You need a 50a connector and honestly may as well install 50a supply with #6 wire feed.
No 30a connector should be on a 40+ amp circuit.

+1

If you are having to install a new circuit, future proof it by going ahead and spending a little more now to have the full 50a, or even higher, but at least 50 amps. If it were me I think I would plan for the day when I can charge at 12kw rate.

TonyWilliams said:
Graycenphil said:

Open Source is number two on the list.

I think to most folks Open Source means building an EVSE. I suggested this for those who might not be comfortable putting their own unit together. And it's cheap.

Back