Ex Leaf-owner club (Why we gave up on Nissan Leaf)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
That was Reason #4 in my list of 10 reasons why I think capacity losses will not slow as many expect.
My only data point is that my capacity loss is only 0.14% worse than the Battery Aging Model predicts. Will likely be even closer on my third anniversary. However, the 4th anniversary is where the "rubber hits the road" for the Battery Aging Model. I don't pay too much attention to the values not on an integer number of years due to the strong seasonality of capacity loss.

tomsax said:
Getting more people to contribute their experience would certainly help.
Hi Tom. Thanks so much to you and PIA for working on this. I submitted an update to my data yesterday (first submission was last September). I urge others to complete the survey, and to submit updates. Capacity bar losses seem like a good prompt to submit an update, IMO.

Stoaty said:
RegGuheert said:
That was Reason #4 in my list of 10 reasons why I think capacity losses will not slow as many expect.
My only data point is that my capacity loss is only 0.14% worse than the Battery Aging Model predicts. Will likely be even closer on my third anniversary. However, the 4th anniversary is where the "rubber hits the road" for the Battery Aging Model. I don't pay too much attention to the values not on an integer number of years due to the strong seasonality of capacity loss.
Agreed, Stoaty. Your model is currently dead-on for me, as well (though I am still pre-3227): predicted loss: 12.46% actual loss: 12.62%

What's interesting is that before the winter I was on the other side of the predictions:
Stoaty on September 28 said:
RegGuheert said:
I don't have your new spreadsheet installed, but the old one (0.83) is dead-on if I use the 9/28/2011 in-service date:
Total Loss = 9.64%
Calendar Loss = 8.29%
Cycling Loss - 1.35%
That gives an error of 1.03%. I agree that since the car had 2000 miles or so on it that is a reasonable in-service date to use.

However, the latest version does a better job:

Predicted Loss - 11.11%
Actual Loss - 10.67%

Actual Loss minus predicted Loss: -0.44%
Frankly, with the extreme cold weather we had this winter, I expected very little capacity drop to occur. Instead, I lost 1.95% in the past six months while the model predicted 1.35%. Seasonality would make me expect my actual losses to be slower than the model predictions during the wintertime, but this one datapoint is the opposite. As discussed up-thread, it is conceivable that the old BMS firmware is either *actually* causing faster degradation or *apparently* causing faster degradation. But that's the BMS that came with the car... (And my personal record only shows two excursions below 20% SOC during that time: once to 16.1% and once to 17.9%. The car was typically sitting around 35% SOC during most of that period.)

But that is all really straining at a gnat since the changes here are small and the BMS moves around so much. For our LEAF, we won't know how things are doing relative to our various predictions for another year our two. I will likely get the firmware update when I take it in for the battery test in the next week or two. Other LEAF vehicles will likely give us much more clarity before then. Time will tell.

The LEAF has met or exceeded all my expectations with respect to the needs I anticipated when I purchased the car. However, it's number one fault is that it made driving fun and guilt-free. This led me to want to drive more, beyond the limits of the LEAF's range.

The desire to go on long road-trips and the continued lack of CHAdeMO in my region for medium trips has led me to purchase a Model S85. There's a chance I'll keep the LEAF for short errands and the Winter, but most likely I'll sell it.

8200 miles
AHr 67.30
SOH 100%
Gids 284

dhanson865 said:
the entry containing
01/29/2014 13:51 2013 United States 10/2013 12/2013 t MI Bloomfield Hills 48304 1554
contains a value of 3 for bars remaining but the user states the car performs like new / little to no battery loss. I'm not sure why that one isn't a 12 for bars remaining.
I contacted the owner, confirmed 12 capacity bars, and fixed the report. Thanks for the heads up. I tend to go through and check up on odd entries when I work on reporting results, but it's still good to know about records that seem odd.

Back