Extended Nissan Factory Warrantee Demystified

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, Newton Nissan will match Santa Rosa's price plus give an extra $25 off. See my OP here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1051&p=105675#p105675.

I do the events and marketing for this dealership, and I have to say, these people are great to work with. Their reviews are outstanding, too. Check out Dealer Rater or Google.

Got platinum coverage Plan (Highest plan?) at $1464 for 8 years 100000 miles from Boardwalk Nissan. Was it a good choice?

Zhaohui that was not a good choice. Nissan Santa Rosa can give you the same plan for $400 less. Also as noted your 8 year plan is only a 5 year plan as you are on the Nissan factory warrantee for the 1st 3 years.

electricfuture said:
Zhaohui that was not a good choice. Nissan Santa Rosa can give you the same plan for $400 less. Also as noted your 8 year plan is only a 5 year plan as you are on the Nissan factory warrantee for the 1st 3 years.

Thanks to "electricfuture" offering good input.

From this forum, it seems that Santa Rose offered $1,134.00 for "Gold plus" (8 yrs/100K miles), which did not cover some categories that were covered by Platinum Plan. I was struggling a while in the time.

Hope all of you have good Holiday!

So, I just caught up with the story on this thread:

In the case of Zhaohui, what additional coverage does the Platinum have over the Gold ? I.e, for $400 extra, what else do you get ?

A note: In the earlier thread description, it was described the the Gold is essentially identical to the original factory warranty. Therefore, it would be prudent to get the information/prospectus guide for the "Platinum" plan. Can we get the detailed info described for the Platinum plan ?

mxp said:
In the case of Zhaohui, what additional coverage does the Platinum have over the Gold ? I.e, for $400 extra, what else do you get ?
If I remember correctly, the Platinum package they offered to me has roadside assistance and towing included.

Also, the $400 difference in price between what Zhaohui paid for the Platinum by his own dealership and what was quoted for Gold package by Santa Rosa may not all just be between the Gold vs Platinum pricing, but may also include some mark up difference between the dealerships, too. What I mean is that's it's possible that the Platinum package for 8 years 100K at Santa Rosa may be not as much as $400 more than the Gold package from Santa Rosa, in which case Zhaohui did not get a better deal. But if it's more than $400 at Santa Rosa, than Zhaohui got a better deal.

mxp said:
...In the case of Zhaohui, what additional coverage does the Platinum have over the Gold ? I.e, for $400 extra, what else do you get ?

A note: In the earlier thread description, it was described the the Gold is essentially identical to the original factory warranty. Therefore, it would be prudent to get the information/prospectus guide for the "Platinum" plan. Can we get the detailed info described for the Platinum plan ?
Zhaohui's use of the word "Platinum" leads me to believe we're not comparing apples with apples here.

Nissan uses no such term in their myriad warranty offerings, but Boardwalk Nissan, Zhaohui's dealer, also offers 5 plans from Fidelity Warranty Services, the highest of which is Platinum. Reading through the two different brochures makes one realize how difficult it is to compare different plans, even ones from the same company. Terms like "coverage for up to 900 major vehicle components" or "plus an additional 300 components" leaves one wondering just exactly what is covered at each level. Of course the exclusions at each level are not inconsequential, but are too numerous to list here! :)

We were led to believe (but who really knows without "referring to the Security+Plus® Service Agreement or contacting your local Nissan LEAF dealership) that many items for which one would really like warranties - think Nav system - aren't covered until the highest level (Nissan's Gold Preferred or Fidelity's Platinum.) Deductibles and the numerous exclusions make the whole thing a crap shoot anyway.

And of course, as we all know, "the Li-Ion battery is not covered by any Security+Plus service contract because it is covered under its own 8 yr / 100,00 mile warranty," and who knows what the heck that means! Good luck wading through all this.

Glenn

P.S. Isn't "Security+Plus" redundant?

Volusiano said:
mxp said:
If I remember correctly, the Platinum package they offered to me has roadside assistance and towing included.

Also, the $400 difference in price between what Zhaohui paid for the Platinum by his own dealership and what was quoted for Gold package by Santa Rosa may not all just be between the Gold vs Platinum pricing, but may also include some mark up difference between the dealerships, too. What I mean is that's it's possible that the Platinum package for 8 years 100K at Santa Rosa may be not as much as $400 more than the Gold package from Santa Rosa, in which case Zhaohui did not get a better deal. But if it's more than $400 at Santa Rosa, than Zhaohui got a better deal.

Yes, the Platinum I got came with roadside assistance and towing. It also cover
1) Rental car $35/day Up to 10 days (per event?)
2) Travel breakdown
3) Diagnostics coverage
4) Related damage coverage
5)Fluid coverage

Zhaohui said:
Yes, the Platinum I got came with roadside assistance and towing. It also cover
1) Rental car $35/day Up to 10 days (per event?)
2) Travel breakdown
3) Diagnostics coverage
4) Related damage coverage
5)Fluid coverage

Thanks for the details Zhaohui.

I was curious if in anywhere of the Platinum brochures did it mention the official Nissan "Security+Plus® Service Agreement" ?

My current understanding is that the Platinum that was offered to you was the Security+Plus® with some value-added stuff as per your description above and therefore, dealers can charge above and beyond the Security+Plus warranty product.

did a quick Google on Fidelity Warranty Services Platinum.. first 4 hits, no idea if they apply:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/fidelity-warranty-services-c141696.html

"My contract provided for towing. I filed a claim for $75.00 and it was denied because no parts were replaced."

http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-warranty/fidelity-warranty-se/fidelity-warranty-services-de-zdec8.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101013070530AAJ1uvp

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_warranty/fidelity.html

Apparently its one of those plans that nickels and dimes you to death.. its not a Nissan plan.

mxp said:
I was curious if in anywhere of the Platinum brochures did it mention the official Nissan "Security+Plus® Service Agreement" ?
As noted above, it's highly unlikely that the "Platinum" warranty in question is a Nissan product.

From what I learned the Security+Plus® Service Agreement from Nissan and as mentioned earlier covers exactly the same coverage as the factory warrantee - no more and no less. The Nissan plans are honored at all Nissan dealerships. If a dealership reneges because you didn't buy it from them there is a number to call Nissan to straighten them out.

The prices vary from dealership to dealership depending on how much profit they want. Nissan Santa Rosa is selling in bulk which is why they are lower than most every other dealership.

Good luck if you go with any 3rd party insurance because Nissan does not have to honor it - and probably won't, so they will send you to their very knowledgeable service center with vast experience testing and repairing the World's first mass produced electric vehicle (right!!!).

electricfuture said:
The Nissan plans are honored at all Nissan dealerships. If a dealership reneges because you didn't buy it from them there is a number to call Nissan to straighten them out.
I don't know why any dealership would not honor it because it's extra service business for them to perform and make money on and get reimbursed by Nissan Corporate for the warranty work. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose. They should be happy that you bring your Leaf to them to do the work.

kelseypost said:
Hey guys, Newton Nissan will match Santa Rosa's price plus give an extra $25 off. See my OP here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1051&p=105675#p105675.

I do the events and marketing for this dealership, and I have to say, these people are great to work with. Their reviews are outstanding, too. Check out Dealer Rater or Google.
Tonkin Wilsonville Nissan quoted me $42 less than the Santa Rosa price right off the bat (Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile- $1015).
They also fare well in reviews/ratings such as Dealer Rater or Google.
I don't know if their deals are offered outside the confines of their premises and/or customer base. I'm just glad they were within drive-a-Leaf-home range when I was deciding which dealer to RAQ. :D

Back