Extension cord question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRLeafSL

I've been debating about getting the EVSE upgrade done for a while now and am really thinking about doing it. My question is I am currently charging using a 100 foot extension cord that is 12 gauge and haven't had any problems. I don't have a driveway or a garage so this is really the only way I can charge is off an extension cord. I was looking at L6-20 extension cords and they are the same 12 awg. I'm wondering if I can use my existing extension cord and change the plugs from the standard 120 volt plugs to the L6-20 plugs since the thickness of the wire is the same or is this not possible? Thanks for the advice.

Yes, you can change the connectors on the extension cord, but I trust you understand that you must then plug that cord into a 240v circuit in order to get any faster charging from the EVSE Upgrade. And with a 12A cord you really should dial the EVSE down to 10 amps or less. (Technically, 9.6A or less.) You don't have any way to do that with the one that came with the car, but you will once it is upgraded.

Ray

From Nissan "2011 LEAF Owner's Manual" (Printing: November 2010 (02)) (p. CH-11):
"Do not use an extension cable or electrical plug adapter. If the electrical socket generates an abnormal amount of heat, this may cause a fire."

From Nissan "2011 LEAF Owner's Manual" (Revised printing and online PDF) (p. CH-11):
"— Never use extension cords or plug adapters with charger."

From Nissan "2012 LEAF Owner's Manual" (online PDF) (p. CH-11):

From Nissan "2013 LEAF Owner's Manual" (online PDF) (p. CH-11):

The portable EVSE that comes (beginning) with the 2013 Leaf has circuitry that monitors its input plug for high heat and terminates charging w/ error lights (see "2013 LEAF Owner's Manual" p. CH-37) if such is detected. Using either a extension cord or plug adapter likely prevents this EVSE from detecting high heat at the original receptacle that could cause a fire or other damage.

[Edit Update] From Tesla's "Mobile Connector Owner's Manual" (https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_mobile_connector_guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
"Do not use an extension cord, power strip, multi-outlet adapter, multi-plugs or conversion plugs to plug in the Mobile Connector."
Tesla's Mobile Connector can operate from 120v/12a to 240v/40a, so it is more powerful than most other EVSEs (portable or not), but their safety instructions may still be useful to read.

I understand the precautions about charging using an extension cord but Nissan couldn't have expected everyone in the world to have the perfect setup at home to drive into a covered garage or pull into a driveway and plug directly into an outlet. That is just outrageous. Welcome to the real world. Some peoples situations only allow charging off an extension cord cause the closest I can get my car to an outlet is about 75 feet. Been doing it off a 100 foot 12 awg extension cord since February with absolutely no problems. I'm not asking if I can charge off an extension cord or not. I'm asking if I can change my existing extension cord from 120 volt currently to 240volt since the wire thickness is the same as premade 240volt extension cords. Plus if they were that bad to use, they wouldn't make them. Plus mines a 2012, not a 2013.

MikeD said:
The portable EVSE that comes (beginning) with the 2013 Leaf has circuitry that monitors its input plug for high heat and terminates charging w/ error lights (see "2013 LEAF Owner's Manual" p. CH-37) if such is detected. Using either a extension cord or plug adapter likely prevents this EVSE from detecting high heat at the original receptacle that could cause a fire or other damage.
Does the evseupgrade contine that feature?

CRLeafSL: Would you like to research the number of house fires caused each year in this country by use of extension cords? There are a several important NEC codes that exist expressly for the purpose of reducing the need for extension cords in a house, such as 210.52 (Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets) that requires receptacle outlets to be spaced no more than 6 ft apart along certain interior walls.

Also (to try to draw some contrast) it is one thing to use a relatively new, lightly used "heavy duty" extension cord relatively rarely, and quite another to use a decades old, heavily used "light duty" extension cord daily. As you know extension cords use stranded copper wire to try to resist the weakening and breaking of that wire due mainly to use that cannot be seen because of its insulation. In the best case scenario the extension cord develops an open circuit, in the worse case scenario it causes a house fire.

BTW the main point of my previous post was to point out yet another good reason to avoid extension cord use, i.e. the temperature monitoring feature of the 2013 "trickle charger" -- not to belabor the caution about extension cord use which everyone who reads the device's instructions already knows. However, who wants to read about someone's house burning to the ground after trying to charge their Leaf? Will it matter much if it is known an extension cord was involved?

Again that is not my question. I am fully aware of not using an extension cord is the best way but again in a perfect world. Not everyone has an outlet in an easily to get to spot to plug in their car so they have to use an extension cord. I have no other choice so lecturing me in the use or not to use an extension cord is wasting your time and breath. My question again is if I have an extension cord that is 12 awg and is currently 120 volt can I change the ends to make it 240 volt with L6-20 ends since premade extension cords that already have L6-20 ends on them are also 12 awg like the one I linked to above. That's all I'm asking, not whether its a good idea or not, just is it possible?

CRLeafSL: You are asking a perfectly reasonable question that many people are faced with, i.e. how to safely wire for EV charging at reasonable cost (or at least minimum cost). I don't know in your particular case and am uncertain as to who might be best to ask -- perhaps your area's Electrical Inspector to start with.

CRLeafSL said:
... lecturing me in the use or not to use an extension cord is wasting your time and breath...

You just threw some fish food into the MikeD EVSE pond. When the pond has no food he will bait it on his own and it's been a while since the fish have been fed.

I think it is possible to do what you're suggesting, but there is some risk (as you already know and seem to be willing to accept).

Sounds like you have a 240v receptacle in the house or garage somewhere that you're going to use. Maybe a NEMA 6-50, or a 14-50 or perhaps a dryer receptaclet?

You'll need an adapter to get from the 240v receptacle to your existing 12 ga. extension cord with the new L6-20 ends. Then you'll plug in the EVSE upgrade to the far end of the receptacle and plug in your LEAF with the J1772 connector.

Do you feel comfortable doing this work (building adapters and connectors) yourself? Do you have a voltmeter to measure at the far end under load to see if there is any voltage drop? That would be helpful...

Some other suggestions:

* To help minimize voltage drop along the cord, consider shortening the 100 foot cord to something less. You said you need 75 feet of length, and the EVSE can be some of that, so maybe the cord can be 60 feet long?

* Were you thinking about the 12 amp or 16 amp EVSE upgrade? Less heat potential with all your connections if you stick to 12 amps...

* With the adapter and L6-20 connectors, there is no room for error with all of those connections. You really need to make sure that the connections are good, tight, and separate. If one of the stranded wires is frayed at the end (around a screw terminal, for example) and can get near the other hot terminal, that could be a problem.

You can get an L6-30 extension cord that is pre-made and 10AG and use it with an L6-20 equipped EVSE. Then use this adapter with whatever other adapters you need:

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use this setup on my L6-20 EVSE with the adapter above and then with various L6-30 240V adapters. You can also use it with the 120V adapter as well. The 10G gives you a very robust extension for 120/240V.

Randy said:
... * Were you thinking about the 12 amp or 16 amp EVSE upgrade? Less heat potential with all your connections if you stick to 12 amps...

* With the adapter and L6-20 connectors, there is no room for error with all of those connections. You really need to make sure that the connections are good, tight, and separate. If one of the stranded wires is frayed at the end (around a screw terminal, for example) and can get near the other hot terminal, that could be a problem.
The newer upgrades use an L6-30 are selectable for amperage. Good idea to try 12a if 16a causes too much voltage drop or heating. I had considered doing this (whomping up my own extension cord), but decided that a premade one with molded connectors, rated for the proper amperage, was better for my peace of mind. Also, the 240v twist connectors aren't cheap, you don't really save all that much money.

You should also think about weather. It sounds like the car will be outside. The brick and the extension cord connection need to be protected from the elements. Can you set things up so just the J1772 cable is outside?

No problem with the current. The question is voltage. Most quality extension cords will have a maximum voltage stamped on the outer insulation, and 600 volts is quite common. If so, no worries.

I guess I'll wade in on the extension cord bit, even if uninvited. Lots of folks use extension cords for EV charging; I use a 50 Amp rated cord to charge the Tesla. However, the NEC says we must use appliances as directed by the manufacturer, and Nissan and Tesla say no extension cord, so technically, it is a violation of the NEC, as I understand it. We do what we have to.

CRLeafSL said:
Again that is not my question. I am fully aware of not using an extension cord is the best way but again in a perfect world. Not everyone has an outlet in an easily to get to spot to plug in their car so they have to use an extension cord. I have no other choice so lecturing me in the use or not to use an extension cord is wasting your time and breath. My question again is if I have an extension cord that is 12 awg and is currently 120 volt can I change the ends to make it 240 volt with L6-20 ends since premade extension cords that already have L6-20 ends on them are also 12 awg like the one I linked to above. That's all I'm asking, not whether its a good idea or not, just is it possible?

Since you're already in the more dangerous end of the pool, why not try to minimize your risk? You can find length vs. gauge charts. Just because you *can* use 12 gauge doesn't mean you *shouldn't* use 10 gauge instead. Especially over a 100 foot length. You will reduce voltage sag and heat generated in the cord. Use the shortest length that works and go heavy. You'll be putting it under continuous heavy load day after day so it's not quite the same as running a tool occasionally. Also avoid coiling ANY part of the cord while in use -- this is EXTREMELY important!

Better yet, hire an electrician and run a dedicated circuit out to where you need it, imho.

smkettner: I have asked that question before on this forum and have gotten no response, but I hesitate to draw any conclusions as a result of that -- so only EVSEupgrade can answer your question.

That's a lot of work wrapping up a 100 foot extension cord every day! It's really too bad you can't wire an outlet permanently closer to where you park. I think the cord would work though, but I would limit the current to 12 amps.

I know it's alot of work to wrap up a 100 foot extension cord everyday. trust me I do it. Hiring an electrician to run a dedicated line would include digging a trench across my back yard (remember there is no garage or drive way). I park off an ally in my back yard parking on grass and would rather not drive across my yard up to my house which I would have to do in order to plug in directly to the outlet. I'm not going to pay for all that digging and running wires for a dedicated line for two reasons. I'm on a two year lease and have no intentions of buying this car. It's way to limited on range for my liking. Second, I'm looking to move out of state in the next year or two, so I'm not willing to put that kind of money into this house. With that being said, I'm looking for a cheap alternative that doesn't include hard wiring anything in.

I have used a #12 wire 100' extension cord just fine for extended periods.
Spread out any excess cord as coiled up may trap some heat.
Check the cord and connections for heat at 15 minutes and 60 minutes the first go just in case an installed connection is poor.
Otherwise it is the same hazard as any extension cord. Easier for Nissan to prohibit use vs give minimum specs and all the safety points.
A wind up cord holder from the hardware store makes storage far easier. If you coil by hand.... there is actually a thread on that to keep the twists out.

Back