Feel Free to Unplug my Prius

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebound

Hi there Leaf owners! I just got a Plug-in Prius, and I'm loving gas-free driving. But I'm not stranded if I run out of electricity, so if you see my white Prius sipping juice from your favorite public charger, and you really need a charge, go right ahead and unplug me. A note would be nice, but I respect the fact that you're stuck when you have no juice, so no worries.

Thanks to Prius Plug-in being America's third-fastest selling car, more EVSE's will be deployed. But you're free to step ahead of me in line.

-- Rebound

But, how do we know it is your white Prius, and not that of a 300 pound gorilla with a baseball bat? :p

Congrats on your plug in.

This is the attitude everyone should have. You can share this message from your car by using a courtesy card like this:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=f673c644ba0086108ccfbf453905a896&attachmentid=3123&d=1319051864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I plan to display one on my LEAF.

My transitional car was a hybrid that could charge its own battery without a plug.
We all have a comfort level for trying out new technology.
Petrol to hybrid to plugin hybrid to plugin alone.
Good for you for beginning the steps to a new lifestyle..
Perhaps you will hold onto that Prius when it comes time for your next car
It will make a nice backup plan. I kept my hybrid. It is not that expensive to keep it around.
Many plug'in hybrid drivers are surprised how little they need the second motor and gas tank.

This is artificial problem for be because I never run out of power yet. If electric range of car is low, therefore one need to use every opportunity to charge in order to maximize electric range. I drive 60+ miles and even I can charge at work I don't do that. By the way what is "public charger"?

Right attitude
Rebound said:
Hi there Leaf owners! I just got a Plug-in Prius, and I'm loving gas-free driving. But I'm not stranded if I run out of electricity, so if you see my white Prius sipping juice from your favorite public charger, and you really need a charge, go right ahead and unplug me. A note would be nice, but I respect the fact that you're stuck when you have no juice, so no worries.

Thanks to Prius Plug-in being America's third-fastest selling car, more EVSE's will be deployed. But you're free to step ahead of me in line.

-- Rebound
Right strategy
Alric said:
This is the attitude everyone should have. You can share this message from your car by using a courtesy card like this:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?s=f673c644ba0086108ccfbf453905a896&attachmentid=3123&d=1319051864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I plan to display one on my LEAF.

Rebound said:
Hi there Leaf owners! I just got a Plug-in Prius, and I'm loving gas-free driving
-- Rebound

Appreciate your consideration. But if you have 10 mile range battery I can't understand how you plan to have 'gas free driving'? Maybe some small percent of Volt owners can make that claim on a fraction kf their usage, but PiPers ?

mkjayakumar said:
Rebound said:
Hi there Leaf owners! I just got a Plug-in Prius, and I'm loving gas-free driving
-- Rebound

Appreciate your consideration. But if you have 10 mile range battery I can't understand how you plan to have 'gas free driving'? Maybe some small percent of Volt owners can make that claim on a fraction kf their usage, but PiPers ?

My EV/HV percentage for the last week it's at %62 EV / %38 HV, so nearly 2/3 of my driving has been in EV, so it's entirely possible if you charge when you have opportunities to, and it depends on what your commute is as well, mine is 14.9 miles each way , and I can charge on 120V at work, sometimes it's entirely in EV (stop and go traffic, 90 minutes for that 15 miles! It's more than 10 EV mies as well), at normal speed, 3/4 or more of that drive is in EV. It doesn't require a Leaf to get a high EV mileage #

mitch672 said:
My EV/HV percentage for the last week it's at %62 EV / %38 HV, so nearly 2/3 of my driving has been in EV, so it's entirely possible if you charge when you have opportunities to, and it depends on what your commute is as well, mine is 14.9 miles each way , and I can charge on 120V at work, sometimes it's entirely in EV (stop and go traffic, 90 minutes for that 15 miles! It's more than 10 EV mies as well), at normal speed, 3/4 or more of that drive is in EV. It doesn't require a Leaf to get a high EV mileage #

It seems that PIP owners need much more opportunity charging if they desire to drive EV, so in fact situation is different then OP statement, but that is really good for development of charging infrastructure. I have completely no reason to charge outside my home, but in fact PIP frequent visit to charging stations may speed up infrastructure development

Rebound said:

-- Rebound

Thank You. A very refreshing attitude. I can't remember a Volt owner ever starting a thread like this. They did however work with GM to screw over every EV in CA so I guess they were just busy. Welcome and congratulations on the PIP!

mkjayakumar said:
Rebound said:
I get my gas-free driving ten miles at a time. On weekends, I use little or no gas. During the week, I get about 75 MPG. My 80-mile round-trip to work, coupled with my inability to charge at work, prevented me from being Leafy Green, so I do the best I can.

Almost every time I use public charging, it reduces the gasoline I consume, because my EV range depletes so easily.

mkjayakumar said:
Rebound said:
-- Rebound

A small percentage? Check Volt stats.com and rearrange the list by %EV used. BTW, this is actual data, a Volt can be programed to report the data directly (Volt Stats doesn't rely on owners honesty like Fuely)

Out of 965 owners who've joined #99 is the first owner who is only getting 50% EV use (that's still 80MPG + ~$1.50 in electricity). Then at #192 out of 965 there's the 62% that Mitch's PiP is getting. The bottom 33% of Volt drivers (as ranked on EV use) are already at 71% EV. Our own EV driving is 93%, but probably less because we have a 2nd vehicle that has an ICE.

Which is a good point. Looking at the posts here it seems most Leaf owners own/lease/rent/borrow an ICE so shouldn't their EV percentage take this into account?

DANandNAN said:
Looking at the posts here it seems most Leaf owners own/lease/rent/borrow an ICE so shouldn't their EV percentage take this into account?

Good point. As long as a Leafer ends up driving an ICE car because of Leaf's range limitation, that should be considered into their emissions equation. And also having a holier thou attitude vis a vis a Volt driver is meaningless.

I thought it was a bit humorous that a PiPer talks about 'gas-free' driving, but I am nit picking.

DANandNAN said:
mkjayakumar said:
Rebound said:
-- Rebound

A small percentage? Check Volt stats.com and rearrange the list by %EV used. BTW, this is actual data, a Volt can be programed to report the data directly (Volt Stats doesn't rely on owners honesty like Fuely)

Out of 965 owners who've joined #99 is the first owner who is only getting 50% EV use (that's still 80MPG + ~$1.50 in electricity). Then at #192 out of 965 there's the 62% that Mitch's PiP is getting. The bottom 33% of Volt drivers (as ranked on EV use) are already at 71% EV. Our own EV driving is 93%, but probably less because we have a 2nd vehicle that has an ICE.

Which is a good point. Looking at the posts here it seems most Leaf owners own/lease/rent/borrow an ICE so shouldn't their EV percentage take this into account?

I agree that more than a "small percentage" of Volts use EV the majority of the time. What I can't get is why so many people keep throwing the second vehicle into the mix. Do Volt owners not also have a second vehicle? I'm buying my new car now, sorry I can't afford to buy two cars at one time, but my wife will have to wait until her car dies before we can get another one. That may take a couple of year. Until that happens I will be driving the LEAF and she will drive her ICE car. If we need to go farther than the LEAF can go, we can take her car. She drives my car on the weekends when I am not working, so technically we will be cutting our gas usage by more than half. Feel free to send me either a LEAF or a Volt and I will be glad to get rid of my wife's car.

ztanos said:
I agree that more than a "small percentage" of Volts use EV the majority of the time. What I can't get is why so many people keep throwing the second vehicle into the mix. Do Volt owners not also have a second vehicle? I'm buying my new car now, sorry I can't afford to buy two cars at one time, but my wife will have to wait until her car dies before we can get another one. That may take a couple of year. Until that happens I will be driving the LEAF and she will drive her ICE car. If we need to go farther than the LEAF can go, we can take her car. She drives my car on the weekends when I am not working, so technically we will be cutting our gas usage by more than half. Feel free to send me either a LEAF or a Volt and I will be glad to get rid of my wife's car.
A majority is more than half, right? And, 90% of the people on Volt stats use EV more than the on-board generator. So that's more than a small percentage.

As to your question, I mentioned the second vehicle because it's pertinent to the discussions I've seen & had. Some Range Limited BEV folks claim they're holier than thou (thanks mkjayakumar ;) ) because their EV doesn't burn gas and talk down about the Volt. Yet, these same folks drive an ICE when their RLBEV isn't practical and conveniently leave that out of the discussions. (FWIW, I'm not talking about you mkjayakumar, just reusing your phrase)

Congrats on the Leaf ztanos, I'm sure you'll like it.

"A majority is more than half, right? And, 90% of the people on Volt stats use EV more than the on-board generator. So that's more than a small percentage."

Sorry, sarcasm doesn't translate into text well, I was agreeing with you.

ztanos said:
"A majority is more than half, right? And, 90% of the people on Volt stats use EV more than the on-board generator. So that's more than a small percentage."

Sorry too, it is hard to determine sarcasm on the web. I need smilies, flashing lights, and so on ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
DANandNAN said:
ztanos said:

Sorry too, it is hard to determine sarcasm on the web. I need smilies, flashing lights, and so on ;)

Back