First Month/Thousand Miles in Colorado

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mog404

Statistics:
Picked up: 1/27/2012
Report Date: 2/27/2012
Miles: 1,027 miles
Average Speed: 33.9 MPH
Elapsed Time: 30.1 Hours
3.4 miles/kWh
Estimated cost savings over Subaru WRX: $72

EVSE: Life on a the trickle charger was OK. There were 2-3 times when we got home too late to charge for the next morning's commute. Also a hassle to pack and unpack the trickle cord. Have had the GE WattStation for a week or so now, and it is nice. Sort of large and pricey, like most, but figured the 30 amps might come in handy some day.

RANGE: When we ordered the Leaf we knew that our commute would be near the practical limit. The roundtrip without any errands is 44 miles with all but 8 miles or so on the Interstate at 75mph. If only the workplace were more accommodating, there would be less range anxiety.
AM Commute: Most mornings were cold (10-25F) with an elevation loss of 1,000'. Generally took three bars to get to work. Loved the heated steering wheel and the ability to pre-warm from the charger.
PM Commute: Coming hope was warmer (20-35F), but had to climb back up the hill. Generally took about 5 bars, but somehow there was an additional bar or two gone, generally leaving 2-3 bars.

Traction control worked great. I am spoiled by Subaru AWD, but I had no trouble getting around. Much better than older front-wheel drive cars without traction control.
Steering wheel heater! I want to add this to all of my vehicles!
Seating for five, headroom, bluetooth for multiple phones.
Smooth, brisk acceleration.
The power/regen meter is OK.
Brakes and regeneration seem to transition smoothly.
Quiet. Smooth and quiet.

DISLIKES
Dashboard/instrumentation: Too many distractions and not enough ability to customize.
I would like to set a default screen (I like the energy consumption screen).
I knew I would hate the digital speedometer, but it is worse than I had feared. Give me a needle.
I don't like the prominence of the tree counter. A kWh remaining would be way more useful. Hide the tree in a center screen menu.
Climate control. I want to control the climate! Sometimes I just want a vent.
You can download your handset phone list, but only save five.
Expensive

WEIRD
Body styling. Would prefer something less distinctive and it seems like my Subaru has loads more cargo space on a similar wheelbase.
Nav system/XM Radio in a car that only goes 100 miles on a good day? Would have preferred the Level 2 EVSE included instead.
The little amber light in the ceiling that comes on with the headlights. I guess it illuminates the shifter?

Mog404 said:
Statistics:
Picked up: 1/27/2012
Report Date: 2/27/2012
Miles: 1,027 miles
Average Speed: 33.9 MPH
Elapsed Time: 30.1 Hours
3.4 miles/kWh
Estimated cost savings over Subaru WRX: $72

EVSE: Life on a the trickle charger was OK. There were 2-3 times when we got home too late to charge for the next morning's commute. Also a hassle to pack and unpack the trickle cord. Have had the GE WattStation for a week or so now, and it is nice. Sort of large and pricey, like most, but figured the 30 amps might come in handy some day.

RANGE: When we ordered the Leaf we knew that our commute would be near the practical limit. The roundtrip without any errands is 44 miles with all but 8 miles or so on the Interstate at 75mph. If only the workplace were more accommodating, there would be less range anxiety.
AM Commute: Most mornings were cold (10-25F) with an elevation loss of 1,000'. Generally took three bars to get to work. Loved the heated steering wheel and the ability to pre-warm from the charger.
PM Commute: Coming hope was warmer (20-35F), but had to climb back up the hill. Generally took about 5 bars, but somehow there was an additional bar or two gone, generally leaving 2-3 bars.

Traction control worked great. I am spoiled by Subaru AWD, but I had no trouble getting around. Much better than older front-wheel drive cars without traction control.
Steering wheel heater! I want to add this to all of my vehicles!
Seating for five, headroom, bluetooth for multiple phones.
Smooth, brisk acceleration.
The power/regen meter is OK.
Brakes and regeneration seem to transition smoothly.
Quiet. Smooth and quiet.

DISLIKES
Dashboard/instrumentation: Too many distractions and not enough ability to customize.
I would like to set a default screen (I like the energy consumption screen).
I knew I would hate the digital speedometer, but it is worse than I had feared. Give me a needle.
I don't like the prominence of the tree counter. A kWh remaining would be way more useful. Hide the tree in a center screen menu.
Climate control. I want to control the climate! Sometimes I just want a vent.
You can download your handset phone list, but only save five.
Expensive

WEIRD
Body styling. Would prefer something less distinctive and it seems like my Subaru has loads more cargo space on a similar wheelbase.
Nav system/XM Radio in a car that only goes 100 miles on a good day? Would have preferred the Level 2 EVSE included instead.
The little amber light in the ceiling that comes on with the headlights. I guess it illuminates the shifter?
:) Good report/comments. I agree with most of what you say. Thanks for sharing.

I have a similar "commute" 2-4 times a week, living in Shasta County California, at 2000 ft.

Mine is 50-55 miles miles with about 2000 ft. total descent/ascent, but done at warmer temps and lower speeds. (rarely lower than 30F, most of it at 50-55 mph).

I think the underreported story about the LEAF is what excellent rural/mountain vehicles they are. Best 2wd vehicle for the snow, I've ever experienced, and regen and battery capacity gives you access to energy, that ICEVs and Hybrids have to simply dump into the atmosphere, through their brakes.

I remember how pleased I was, on my first drive to town (Redding) Last may, after I got the same 3 bars down, 5 bars back, you get. At 50-60 degrees F lower winter ambient temps, lower m/kWh and reduced battery capacity causes me a 10-12% range reduction, unless I use the heater (pre-warming usually is enough for me). 8-10 bars consumed Summer, went to 9 to 11 winter, for the same trip, with speed/errand variations.

10 months and 7k miles later, I now usually charge to 80%/10 bars, which both spares the disc brakes, and allows me extra regen on the descent to Redding, above that I can receive at 100% charge.

If there was a DC charger, or even a convenient L2 at a destination in town, I would charge 80% nearly every day, year round.

You may find yourself trying 80% much more, this Summer.

As to the "weird" styling, I still find the LEAF a bit homely, but if I had a homely kid, I'd still love them.

PS

As to inceasing range with higher temp:

Increasing range and m/kWh. Spring is on the way!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
I think the underreported story about the LEAF is what excellent rural/mountain vehicles they are. Best 2wd vehicle for the snow, I've ever experienced, and regen and battery capacity gives you access to energy, that ICEVs and Hybrids have to simply dump into the atmosphere, through their brakes.
+1. We live on a mountain and appreciate being able to use regenerative braking down a 5000' descent that we routinely do. We just have to make sure to have enough energy in the battery pack before climbing the mountain. I averaged 4.0 miles/kWh on my last round trip off the mountain and back home again. Energy-wise, that's roughly equivalent to getting 100 mpg. On the other hand, in a gasoline car, you get used to the fuel gauge dropping appreciably (and costing significant bucks) on that same drive.

In the snow, thanks to its excellent weight distribution, the LEAF holds the road quite well, even with the stock tires. With its relatively generous ground clearance and traction control, it really is quite decent for a 2WD car.

"edatoakrun"I think the underreported story about the LEAF is what excellent rural/mountain vehicles they are. Best 2wd vehicle for the snow, I've ever experienced, and regen and battery capacity gives you access to energy, that ICEVs and Hybrids have to simply dump into the atmosphere, through their brakes.
"abasile"+1. We live on a mountain and appreciate being able to use regenerative braking down a 5000' descent that we routinely do. We just have to make sure to have enough energy in the battery pack before climbing the mountain. I averaged 4.0 miles/kWh on my last round trip off the mountain and back home again. Energy-wise, that's roughly equivalent to getting 100 mpg. On the other hand, in a gasoline car, you get used to the fuel gauge dropping appreciably (and costing significant bucks) on that same drive....
I estimated that my previous daily driver, 95 dodge Stratus, 2.0 litre 5 speed MT, lost about 5 mpg, from 35 mpg to 30 mpg, on this route, verses level driving at the same speed, with (only) 4,000 ft ascent/descent, per 100 miles of travel.

I can imagine how much gas, your uphill route sucks up, driving an ICEV.

I estimate that LEAF m/kWh efficiency declines roughly half as much, as a percentage, as mpg with a gas car mpg does, due to driving up and downhill.

Of course, it's far more significant for cost accounting, that my electricity today costs me about 1.4 cents per mile, and the gas would cost me about 14 cents per mile today, and god-only-knows, how many cents per mile, in the future...

Mog404 said:
... Generally took about 5 bars, but somehow there was an additional bar or two gone, generally leaving 2-3 bars. ...
It's VERY common to have a bar disappear after turning the car off and back on. You probably showed 3 bars gone when you parked at work, but showed 4 bars gone when you restarted.

edatoakrun said:
You may find yourself trying 80% much more, this Summer.

As to the "weird" styling, I still find the LEAF a bit homely, but if I had a homely kid, I'd still love them.

Increasing range and m/kWh. Spring is on the way!
Indeed, I do love my Leaf. The quirks are growing on me.

Recently on a warm day I was able to complete the daily commute, run some errands and then do an additional 32 miles on backroads. That worked out to about 86 miles for the day, and there were 2-3 bars remaining.

Also, check out the Colorado Carbon Fund vanity plate. I went ahead and sprang for one.
Satellite

Mog404 said:
Also, check out the Colorado Carbon Fund vanity plate. I went ahead and sprang for one.
Satellite

love that plate. I used to live in CO when I was in graduate school I still keep the green mountain plate after I sold my car in CO.

davewill said:
Mog404 said:
... Generally took about 5 bars, but somehow there was an additional bar or two gone, generally leaving 2-3 bars. ...
It's VERY common to have a bar disappear after turning the car off and back on. You probably showed 3 bars gone when you parked at work, but showed 4 bars gone when you restarted.

I've noticed the same thing, but usually only happens in colder weather (<50 F). I now account for it in long-distance drives (like to/from the airport).

Date, Location, and Time... all set for the 2nd Leaf meet!

It will be held at the GoNissan Location @ 2400 West 104th Avenue, Denver ---> February 24th at 12pm noon.

Go Nissan will be:

- blocking off some parking for us around their dual L2 charger
- providing a meeting room just inside the parking location
- allow or even provide a grill for hot dogs, burgers, etc.
- etc.

Can I get an idea of who will be there? We will also have some SWAG (including a Nissan Leaf Backpack to a lucky person)

Stanton said:
davewill said:
Mog404 said:
I've noticed the same thing, but usually only happens in colder weather (<50 F). I now account for it in long-distance drives (like to/from the airport).
I suppose cooling the battery could cause one to disappear, but it happens regularly at 70F, too.

That's not a temp issue in that example. While the car is running, it will lose the fuel bar as its contents are depleted. But, let's say you turn off the car while you burnt half the contents of that fuel bar. When you turn the car back on, it will display that fuel bar when it is above half full, and not display that fuel bar when that fuel bar is less than half full.

The amount of energy in the battery is exactly the same.

There are other fuel bar issues that are temp related. For example, if you fill up to 80% at 70F, and then the car's battery temp is dropped to a significantly lower temp, it will show 11 bars instead of 10, since the same amount of power is a larger percentage of capacity at the lower temp.

The reverse is true if you charge while cold, and then the car heats up. You might show 9 fuel bars with an 80% charge.

Fun test; at 80% charge, with 10 bars showing, drive 1 mile. Stop, turn car off. Turn back on. You have 9 bars now, right?

TonyWilliams said:
That's not a temp issue in that example. While the car is running, it will lose the fuel bar as its contents are depleted. But, let's say you turn off the car while you burnt half the contents of that fuel bar. When you turn the car back on, it will display that fuel bar when it is above half full, and not display that fuel bar when that fuel bar is less than half full.

The amount of energy in the battery is exactly the same...
Yes. I find the loss of a bar after turning the car off useful because it gives me more granularity for the fuel gauge: I can figure it to + or - a half bar by turning the car off. If the last bar stays lit I figure it is 0.5+. If the bar goes away I figure it is <0.5.

A Gidmeter would be more precise but it is only on occasional research runs where I care about exact fuel usage.

batzman said:
Date, Location, and Time... all set for the 2nd Leaf meet!

It will be held at the GoNissan Location @ 2400 West 104th Avenue, Denver ---> February 24th at 12pm noon.

Go Nissan will be:

- blocking off some parking for us around their dual L2 charger
- providing a meeting room just inside the parking location
- allow or even provide a grill for hot dogs, burgers, etc.
- etc.

Can I get an idea of who will be there? We will also have some SWAG (including a Nissan Leaf Backpack to a lucky person)

This month's meet is being moved to April due to other Leaf and EV activities..... date TBD

Back