First Year Scheduled Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DesertDenizen said:
I did not mention my early signs of losing capacity as I have a case number already with Leaf CS and knew my dealer couldn't offer anything of substance. My first car was a 1968 VW bug - think I love my Leaf?

Took me 90 minutes, but I had lots to read and do while waiting. My first car was a 1970 Bug- hmmm. Yellow.

Thanks for the mention about getting a case number with Leaf CS. I will do that just in case.

scubasandy said:
He said he would notify the Rep so they'd have the info on file.

I believe Nissan have advised owners with battery capacity losses to call and get a case number. I wouldn't feel comfortable that the dealer will do anything for you.

Call 1-800-nogasev and get a case# assigned to you.

Went for my battery report today.

Good news, they didn't try to sell me anything.

Bad news, no battery report, after I complained, they moved the car back to the service bay and did the battery report.

They are not going to void, my worthless battery warranty, that easy.

5 stars on everything, 9000 mile and only 89% battery capacity left.

Just got mine back from Southwest Nissan in Weatherford, TX. Battery test good and all 1 year service done including brake fluid, total bill - 0.
They comp the first years service just for buying car there - Great place!

I took it in for software update months ago so that was already done.

JPWhite said:
Did the 89% capacity left get detailed on the battery report, or that as a result of your tests?

My tests, the battery report says 12 bars. :lol:

They let the air out of my tires, got 4.3 miles/kWh on the way home, I usualy get 5.0 miles/kWh on the same drive.

pchilds said:
JPWhite said:
They let the air out of my tires, got 4.3 miles/kWh on the way home, I usualy get 5.0 miles/kWh on the same drive.

Interesting. After taking delivery I noticed the pressure was 32 in all 4 tires, lower than the data plate says on the car. I added air. After getting the tires rotated I noticed the pressure back at 32 all round again. I wondered if the tires naturally leaked or if it was the dealership. Me thinks after hearing your story its the dealers doing this on purpose.

Most Nissan's are 32 psi all round. I expect they don't know the LEAF requires higher pressure.

JPWhite said:
pchilds said:
JPWhite said:

Interesting. After taking delivery I noticed the pressure was 32 in all 4 tires, lower than the data plate says on the car. I added air. After getting the tires rotated I noticed the pressure back at 32 all round again. I wondered if the tires naturally leaked or if it was the dealership. Me thinks after hearing your story its the dealers doing this on purpose.

Most Nissan's are 32 psi all round. I expect they don't know the LEAF requires higher pressure.

Thanks for noting that. I had my annual a week ago, and having read this I checked the pressure. Still 40, so they left them alone.

Did our 15k today at Beaverton Nissan. Dealer wanted me to sign off on a $200 estimate with a single line item! Not happening. Took off the brake fluid and cabin filter and suddenly it's $17.95 to rotate the tires do the multi point and run the battery test (I'm about 2 weeks early on that).

Battery test was non-interesting, 12 bars and 5 stars all around. I suspect they did deflate the tires too, but I need to let them cool down a bit to be sure.

Would have liked to have seen the tech's reaction when he tested the horn and heard my FIAMMs instead of the stock "Road Runner" sound!

23,818 miles and 0 battery capacity loss in my Nissan LEAF!

I took the car in for the annual battery inspection and talked with the LEAF tech for a while and he showed me the diagnostic tools they use. When he connected to my car, he showed me the 'Cell voltage loss inspection' and the battery had 4026 mV output on the high-end which, he said, was equal to a brand new battery.

Both he and I were surprised by it because I use DC quick charging 2-3 time per week and sometime 2-3 time per day. After hearing about the major capacity loss with folks in AZ, I expected to see some loss in my battery. The temperature is usually in the 70's when I DCQC. The tech also told me that the brake wear is very minimal and that they should last me another 75k miles. He also expected to see more tire wear.

GotMyleaf said:

I took the car in for the annual battery inspection and talked with the LEAF tech for a while and he showed me the diagnostic tools they use. When he connected to my car, he showed me the 'Cell voltage loss inspection' and the battery had 4026 mV output on the high-end which, he said, was equal to a brand new battery.

Both he and I were surprised by it because I use DC quick charging 2-3 time per week and sometime 2-3 time per day. After hearing about the major capacity loss with folks in AZ, I expected to see some loss in my battery. The temperature is usually in the 70's when I DCQC. The tech also told me that the brake wear is very minimal and that they should last me another 75k miles. He also expected to see more tire wear.

Great news!!

Just curious. Where do you live?

JPWhite said:
GotMyleaf said:

Great news!!

Just curious. Where do you live?

I think we should all just add this statement as our signature... it seems to be asked way to often. :lol:

GotMyleaf said:
When he connected to my car, he showed me the 'Cell voltage loss inspection' and the battery had 4026 mV output on the high-end which, he said, was equal to a brand new battery.
You will get that voltage (or something very similar) regardless of how much capacity your cells have lost. In other words, that bit of data does not give you any information about how much capacity you have remaining.

GotMyleaf said:
When he connected to my car, he showed me the 'Cell voltage loss inspection' and the battery had 4026 mV output on the high-end which, he said, was equal to a brand new battery.

It may also be equal to a worn out battery.. apparently the tech does not know how to check actual battery capacity.. its possible you have 0 battery degradation with 24k miles, congratulations for owning a Leaf in Alaska :)

JPWhite said:
scubasandy said:
He said he would notify the Rep so they'd have the info on file.

I believe Nissan have advised owners with battery capacity losses to call and get a case number. I wouldn't feel comfortable that the dealer will do anything for you.

Call 1-800-nogasev and get a case# assigned to you.

Thanks- I called, Phone: (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738), not 1-800

Herm said:
It may also be equal to a worn out battery.. apparently the tech does not know how to check actual battery capacity.. its possible you have 0 battery degradation with 24k miles, congratulations for owning a Leaf in Alaska :)

POP! - there went my bubble bursting. It probably doesn't mean anything, but it's the only info the tech could give me so I'm rolling with it. He did say that he had to replace a module for a LEAF once due to leaking. The car only had 3k miles and the mV was lower. That was the best I could get out of him to test is knowledge since my own is so low. I do still have all 12 capacity bars.

I will DCQC today and watch for a bar loss, as usual.

Back