Five years and 200k LEAF sales

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Nissan's announcement of five years and 200k LEAF sales:

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan-models-leaf/releases/nissan-s-best-selling-leaf-celebrates-its-fifth-anniversary-and-reaching-200-000-sales
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nissan is celebrating five years at the forefront of the electric vehicle (EV) market with the record-breaking 100-percent electric vehicle Nissan LEAF. Having transformed the performance, practicality and public perception of EVs around the world since its launch in 2010, Nissan remains the undisputed leader in EV technology.

Five years of ground-breaking success

The Nissan LEAF is as advanced and innovative today as it was five years ago. No other manufacturer has produced as many electric vehicles or covered as much distance without producing any emissions. In fact, Nissan LEAF customers just surpassed the 1.2 billion-mile mark (two billion kilometers), which is equivalent to 2600 round trips from the Earth to the moon. This remarkable feat has helped keep 328,482 tons of CO from entering the air, according to a five-year sales-volume based assumption.

Nissan will deliver its 200,000th LEAF in January, officially making it the world's most popular and successful electric vehicle...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqAWWHxQ0Q#t=18

TomT said:
The "as advanced and innovative today as it was five years ago" part is certainly something of hyperbole....
Going unmentioned is that Ghosn predicted 500k sales/year by 2013:
Nissan Will Sell 500,000 Electric Cars a Year by 2013, Says Chief
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/nissan-will-sell-500000-electric-cars-a-year-by-2013-says-chief/?_r=0

TimLee said:
Worse than their 100 mile marketing for the original 24 kWh pack :(
Depending on the use case ("YMMV"), of course. My guess-o-meter consistently shows over 100 miles range on my 24kWh LEAF, even with the climate control on (in non-Eco mode). On the Japanese cycle, 100 miles is easily accomplished.

Frankly, I think 200,000 is a decent number considering how cheap oil is. I do wish there were more EVs on the roads - especially from other automakers.

GRA said:
TomT said:
The "as advanced and innovative today as it was five years ago" part is certainly something of hyperbole....
Going unmentioned is that Ghosn predicted 500k sales/year by 2013:
Nissan Will Sell 500,000 Electric Cars a Year by 2013, Says Chief
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/nissan-will-sell-500000-electric-cars-a-year-by-2013-says-chief/?_r=0

and I'd say it's significant that they had to pull in sales from 2016 to make the 200,000 in 5 years remark.

In reality the 5 year mark is probably closer to 175,000. If you go by cars that made it to end user hands by the anniversary instead of pulling in cars that would be delivered to dealers in Jan 2016.

------

It's also worth mentioning that this is 200,000 worldwide not US so the $7500 credit is still on the table. They are only up to 80,000 or so US so it'll be another 5 years or so before the 200,000 phaseout starts and it's a one year phaseout.

The phase-out period stretches over one year, beginning in the second calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer hits the 200,000 vehicle US sales mark. From there, all qualifying vehicles sold by the manufacturer are eligible for 50% of their specified credit for the first two quarters and 25% of the credit for the next two quarters.

For example if a manufacturer sells its 200,000th vehicle in the first quarter (Q1) of 2018, the credit amounts for all of that manufacturer's eligible vehicles would phase out as shown in the table below.

Tax Credit Phase-Out Schedule Quarter Credit
Q1 2018 Full amount
Q2 2018 Full amount
Q3 2018 50% of full amount
Q4 2018 50% of full amount
Q1 2019 25% of full amount
Q2 2019 25% of full amount
Q3 2019 No credit

Back