Florida CHAdeMO DCQC news

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
camasleaf said:
jrreno said:
Maybe now I won't be so jealous of our CA friends.

OK, just do not go on PlugShare and look at WA state, and especially OR state ;) . The CA friends envy us :D .

Absolutely true... we Californians do envy the electric highway... ours is still just segments unconnected. Lots of useful segments but unfortunately lots of gaps too. Nothing much from Sac to Oregon border... No DCQCs from Sac or Gilroy to LA... We will catch up eventually.

I got to use the DCQC at AutoNation Nissan Pembroke Pines

It was a tight squeeze as the L1 EVSEs next to it were ICEd...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13180&p=349472#p349472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pompano Nissan in Pompano Beach, FL has a DCQC station sitting in a crate in the service area. Nobody could tell me when it will be installed. They plan on locating it behind the showroom building.

Great news Leaf owners! The first DC Fast Charging Station installed by a government/municipality in the state of Florida is now operational. The station was installed a few days ago at Pinecrest Gardens. Here is the link to the Plugshare entry: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/40201

I had been updating the group at the Tesla Motors Club site but since they haven't released a CHAdeMO adapter yet, it may be more appropriate for the Leaf owners on here. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24976-Village-of-Pinecrest-Authorizes-Installation-of-Level-3-DC-Fast-Charger-in-SE-Florida

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather charge up near somewhere I can spend an hour enjoying myself as opposed to where all the other Fast Chargers are located out there. I believe they're all at car dealerships. Stay tuned for official ribbon cutting ceremony details. It may be a great opportunity for a Leaf owner meetup.

Here's a pic:
IMG_2154.jpg

eshapir said:
Great news Leaf owners! The first DC Fast Charging Station installed by a government/municipality in the state of Florida is now operational. The station was installed a few days ago at Pinecrest Gardens. Here is the link to the Plugshare entry: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/40201

I had been updating the group at the Tesla Motors Club site but since they haven't released a CHAdeMO adapter yet, it may be more appropriate for the Leaf owners on here. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24976-Village-of-Pinecrest-Authorizes-Installation-of-Level-3-DC-Fast-Charger-in-SE-Florida

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather charge up near somewhere I can spend an hour enjoying myself as opposed to where all the other Fast Chargers are located out there. I believe they're all at car dealerships. Stay tuned for official ribbon cutting ceremony details. It may be a great opportunity for a Leaf owner meetup.

That makes 11 DCQC stations in Florida that shoe up on PlugShare, and I know of the one at Pompano Nissan that is yet to be installed. I still want more!

OttoH said:
apvbguy said:
no I did not because I was told that these types of L3 chargers were not very common in FLA

"Not very common" would be correct. Actually, until a few days ago they were unheard of here in Florida. But things are improving, and hopefully will continue to improve. We now have one confirmed here in Ocala, and one - still unconfirmed - in Orlando. And a promise of a second one in downtown Ocala.

What I can't understand is that Miami/Dade County, Tampa, Fort Mayers etc doesn't have any, but Ocala does. I bought the first LEAF in Ocala a year ago, and they have sold a few since then, maybe 5 or 8 or so. But that is the total around here. Southern Florida has many, many times what we have, but they have not a single QC.

But hey, I'm not complaining :)

CONFIRMED HERE IN ORLANDO. Up and running today we have an event here 11am-1pm unveiling the Level 3 DC 440 8125 E Colonial Drive Orlando, FL 32817 407-434-9768

OttoH said:
spike09 said:
x10guy said:
Good idea in starting a new thread for FL. The original one is starting to get bloated with side discussions and is getting less and less useful even for those is CA. :(
I think we need to split Florida up into North Florida, Central Florida and South Florida!
Judging by the traffic in this thread, I don't think there is much point in splitting it up.

And to the best of my knowledge, there is still only one DCQC in Florida, having heard nothing from Orlando or Punta Gorda.

I want to welcome everyone to Sutherlin Nissan of Orlando LEAF EV Event. We will be celebrating the launch of our LEVEL 3 DC 440 Charger the 1st in Central Florida. We will have food, guest speakers, and a 'ride and drive'. The event will be from 11am-1pm at Sutherlin Nissan 8125 E Colonial Dr Orlando, FL 32817 on the corner of Chickasaw Trl and E Colonial Dr.407-434-9768 w/ Go Space

Wow, I'm off the forum for a month and things just explode :) I am very happy that Ocala is no longer the only city with a CHAdeMO DCQC installed. Let's hope for many more.

Otto

I want to welcome everyone to Sutherlin Nissan of Orlando LEAF EV Event. We will be celebrating the launch of our LEVEL 3 DC 440 Charger the 1st in Central Florida. We will have food, guest speakers, and a 'ride and drive'. The event will be from 11am-1pm at Sutherlin Nissan 8125 E Colonial Dr Orlando, FL 32817 on the corner of Chickasaw Trl and E Colonial Dr.407-434-9768 w/ Go Space
what day is the event?

Leaf and EV owners in the South Florida area are cordially invited to attend a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the first publicly owned, free quick charge station in Florida! The event is scheduled for 5pm on Tuesday February 4th at Pinecrest Gardens. The Mayor of Pinecrest and Village Manager will charge one of the Village's Nissan Leaf during the event. The Miami Herald is scheduled to cover it. Please spread the word among the EV community and try to make it if you can!!!

Pinecrest Gardens station on Plugshare: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/40201
Address: 11000 Red Road Pinecrest, Florida 33156

Press Release:
Media Contact: Michelle Hammontree Garcia
Communications Manager
[email protected]
xxx-xxx-xxxx

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

First free and publicly accessible electric car fast-charging station in South Florida set for first official use

Pinecrest, Fla. – The first free and publicly accessible electric car fast-charging station in South Florida has been installed in the Pinecrest Gardens’ parking area. The station can charge an electric car in a fraction of the time it takes to charge with a regular charging station. For example, a Nissan LEAF can be charged from zero to 80 percent in less than 30 minutes. Other vehicles may take more or less time to achieve a similar charge.

Mayor Cindy Lerner and Village Manager Yocelyn Galiano Gomez will drive one of the Village’s Nissan LEAFs to Pinecrest Gardens for the first official use of the fast-charging station at 5 p.m. Tuesday, February 4. Members of the media are invited to attend.

The fast-charging station is located in the northeast area of the parking lot. Pinecrest Gardens is located at 11000 Red Road.

“We have a significant focus on sustainability, improving access to energy efficiency and renewable energy,” said Mayor Lerner, who added that her next car will be an electric car.

Pinecrest Gardens attracts over 150,000 visitors each year and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in October 2011, making it historically significant on a local, state and national platform.

“Because of its popularity and the Village’s commitment to conservation and sustainability, Pinecrest Gardens is the ideal location for an electric car fast-charging station,” said Galiano. “One can visit the Gardens, take a class in the community center or go to the library while charging the car.”

The fast charger is capable of charging at 44kW, compared to regular charging which runs at approximately 6kW. The fast-charger can be used by drivers of Nissan, Mitsubishi and Tesla electric cars. Tesla electric car owners need an adapter in order to charge.

Pinecrest Gardens is a premier venue for the arts, education and environmental conservation and preservation. On any given day one can catch an arts performance, tour the 14 acres of native forested wetland, tropical hardwood hammock and native cypress slough hammock or take a class in horticulture, archeology and botany.

###

Ice'd! Went to Pinecrest Gardens yesterday for the farmers market and all the spots reachable by the charger where Ice'd. No signs around marking the spot(s) for EV charging, so can't blame the ICE's. Will stop by tomorrow for the ribbon cutting and recommend some signs. Or at least some movable cones.

MiamiLeaf said:
Ice'd! Went to Pinecrest Gardens yesterday for the farmers market and all the spots reachable by the charger where Ice'd. No signs around marking the spot(s) for EV charging, so can't blame the ICE's. Will stop by tomorrow for the ribbon cutting and recommend some signs. Or at least some movable cones.

I spoke with Gardens Director Alana Perez about the signage. She said it is on order with the respective organization within the Village of Pinecrest. She was going to inquire as to an ETA and get back to me. I can assure everyone that this is something they're aware of. Hopefully getting ICE'd will be limited when visiting the charger going forward.

My manager just bought a Leaf (I've had one for 2 years) and he reports that Brandon Nissan has a DC Fast charger that is available during business hours for free. First fast charger in Tampa Bay. I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

pfosse said:
My manager just bought a Leaf (I've had one for 2 years) and he reports that Brandon Nissan has a DC Fast charger that is available during business hours for free. First fast charger in Tampa Bay. I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

Yep, reported about a month ago in this thread. I have used it about three times now. For me it is perfect for the airport and Orlando. They have a nice lounge with TV, wifi and snack macines also.

I drove through the Pompano Beach Nissan dealership today to see if they had installed the DCQC unit that I reported back on Mon, Jan 20, 2014, it's still sitting in its crate. :roll:

The pic of it sitting in the crate.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12460&start=40#p349762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I'm a Model S owner who lurks on these forums and shares news of importance to Leaf owners. Someone from Telemundo is interested in interviewing a Pinecrest resident who uses the Pinecrest Gardens Quick Charge station about their experience. By any chance, does anyone here reside in Pinecrest, charge at the Pinecrest Gardens station and speak passable Spanish? If so, please contact me at [email protected].

I was at Universal Nissan in Orlando today and it is true. They have a quick charger by the service bay and I topped off my tank in no time at all...SWEET!!!

mschurig01 said:
I was at Universal Nissan in Orlando today and it is true. They have a quick charger by the service bay and I topped off my tank in no time at all...SWEET!!!

Thanks for checking it out. This combined with AutoNation Nissan makes Disney trips very doable!

Hey all, I just shipped my Leaf from Dallas to So. Flo and I am happy to see the amount of quick charge stations popping up but I do have a few complaints that I'd like to share with Nissan.

The complaints I have are:

1) The QC stations installed at Nissan dealerships are accessible ONLY during business hours. Because of this, there's a good chance that the QC station will be blocked by a non-electric vehicle and we cannot charge at night, when most of us need to charge our vehicles.

2) Some of these QC stations installed at Nissan dealerships can only be accessed by those with a CharePoint account (Key Fob). Some Nissan dealers even CHARGE Nissan Leaf customers to use these stations.

I feel that this is not right for those of us who went ahead and invested in a Leaf. Nissan does want to encourage Leaf ownership right? It seems that with the 2 problems I addressed above, they have put up "obstacle blocks" to electric car ownership.

Does anyone have an address to the head "Leaf People" at Nissan?

Back