Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weatherman said:
I'm guessing Nissan will do nothing for us until the 9th bar is gone. Once that happens, for us lease holders, the question is whether they will give us a new battery or simply allow us to end the lease (I'd prefer the latter).
Now there's an interesting question, what happens if it drops to 8 bars and there are four months remaining on the lease? You'd assume it's warranty claim time, and big companies don't like to deviate from policies, but still, they are they going to be all that thrilled about putting a new battery in a car they are about to get back? On the other hand they may just see it as getting a head start on the certified preowned certification process. At current course and speed I can see two more bars being gone some time next summer, a few months before the lease ends. There must be some Arizona cars in that boat now, what's happening with them?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086738_new-effort-electric-car-rentals-and-charging-for-orlando-florida" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks promising! Keep up the pressure!!

"Now a new initiative, Drive Electric Orlando (DEO), is coordinating rental agencies, charging stations, hotels, theme parks, and other stakeholders in hopes of creating a "seamlessly positive experience for visitors who rent this innovative technology."

"Theme park companies taking part include Disney, Sea World, and Universal Studios; other partners include Duke Energy (the local electric utility), tourism group Visit Orlando, the Peabody Hotel, and the University of Central Florida.

A quick update. My wife was in a car accident with our LEAF on 8/19. She was in a strip mall parking lot, slowed down to make a left turn into an open parking space, and this bozo attempted to pass her on the left while she's turning! Substantial damage to the front left quarter panel and driver side door. Left wheel was crooked, car was not drivable. Driver side door would not open. Wife and two kids were fine due to low speed impact. Police investigated and (obviously) the other party was guilty. Luckily they had Geico insurance and after some haggling Geico accepted the blame. Damage was in the $4K-$5K range.

LEAF should be ready for pickup on Monday. My wife had to put gas in the rental car for the past 3 weeks, something she became unaccustomed to since she had not been to a gas station in over 1.5 years with the LEAF. We miss our LEAF!

N1ghtrider said:
That left front is where my 2012 was hit, with the left front wheel broken off and the car totaled due to higher speed impact. Good to hear that your wife and kids are okay. Did the airbags go off?
Thanks Roy. Airbags did not go off since this was a low speed crash. The other car was coming from behind and passing on the left while she was attempting to turn left into a parking spot.

Lost my second battery capacity bar at 15.5K miles, four months after I lost my first bar. Max GIDs averages 210. Still able to get 80 miles on a charge if needed but the "Let's see how far I can go without charging" game is over. I now charge up at least every other day.

Range has never been a big limiting factor since I have a 20 mile RT commute. Waiting to see if Nissan delivers on their promise of a heat resistant battery by this Spring.

spike09 said:
Lost my second battery capacity bar at 15.5K miles, four months after I lost my first bar. Max GIDs averages 210. Still able to get over 70 miles on a charge if needed but the "Let's see how far I can go without charging" game is over. I now charge up at least every other day.

Range has never been a big limiting factor since I have a 20 mile RT commute. Waiting to see if Nissan delivers on their promise of a heat resistant battery by this Spring.
Welcome to the club. You can see it's a function of time (at warmer temperatures like we have here) aggravated by mileage. I can look to braindonor's experience to see my future, just a couple months behind him.

BrainDonor said:
N1ghtrider said:
That left front is where my 2012 was hit, with the left front wheel broken off and the car totaled due to higher speed impact. Good to hear that your wife and kids are okay. Did the airbags go off?
Thanks Roy. Airbags did not go off since this was a low speed crash. The other car was coming from behind and passing on the left while she was attempting to turn left into a parking spot.
Update, we picked up the car this past week. Damage was over $7K. The other insurance company picked up the cost. Glad to have our LEAF back in one piece!

keydiver said:
I'm at 16,000+, and with the hotter weather coming on I expect to lose my first bar within a few months. Hopefully not, but it won't be unexpected when it happens. The main thing that bugs me lately is that my 80% charges are almost always only 9 bars, and my 100% charges only yield 11 bars. :(
Still at 12 capacity bars?

There is a BMW "Drive the future" event tomorrow at South Motors. Went to the one at Braman in Downtown Miami yesterday. Wasn't much of an event but I was able to take the car out for a spin. They let you drive it all by yourself. They don't even tag along.

Now is your best chance to test drive the i3. You will likely have to wait until late summer when the car arrives at dealers showrooms to test drive this car again. It is worth the experience to drive a car with brake regen set to max. BMW is marketing it as "one pedal driving" but I did not like the stop and go motion one bit. Overall the car is nice but the back seats are too small. Overpriced but not outrageous for a BMW.

Florida does not have as many choices as California but I am happy to report we do have 5 EV's to choose from right now.
Tesla Model S
Nissan Leaf
Ford Focus EV
Mitsubishi i
BMW i3

Still loving my Leaf but I do want to test drive the Ford. I test drove all the compliance cars last time I was out in LA and they were all too small for me except for the RAV4 EV. I would rather buy the Toyota since it is around the same price as the BMW i3. Not ready to move on up to the Model S but I am envious of their range. Hell, I am down to 10 bars so I am happy when I get 60 miles on a charge!

I saw the car last weekend at the 8K I ran at the zoo that South Motors sponsored. I thought it was ugly and despite having lost a bar in my car, I'm still loving my LEAF. We are seriously considering the Tesla as a second car now though.

evenoelle said:
I saw the car last weekend at the 8K I ran at the zoo that South Motors sponsored. I thought it was ugly and despite having lost a bar in my car, I'm still loving my LEAF. We are seriously considering the Tesla as a second car now though.
I don't think it is that attractive either. I first saw it at Art Basel earlier this year. BWM was one of the sponsors.

Kudos on the Tesla!

Brightonuk said:
I am so happy today I recived a package from Nissan :!: and I got two tee shirts and a mouse pad!!!!!!!!!!! ........snip..........
Ok it's a zombie thread ... Mouse pad ... but there IS a point here - looking back. These Mouse Pads have really turned out to be CLASSICS. Why? ... because they clearly state "100 mile range". Hard for Nissan to back pedal on that, when you got it in writing.
:lol:

:cry:

evenoelle said:
based on my experience once you get a TESLA your leaf would become the second car
YMMV

South Florida CHAdeMo update:

PGA National Resort and Spa (free)
AutoNation Nissan of Delray (free)
Weston Nissan (free)
Palmetto57 Nissan (free)
Bill Seidles Nissan ($5 charge)
AutoNation Nissan of Miami (free)
Pinecrest Gardens (free)
AutoNation Nissan of Kendall (free)

These have all been verified as working DC Quick Chargers via PlugShare.com

LTLFTcomposite said:
spike09 said:
Lost my second battery capacity bar at 15.5K miles, four months after I lost my first bar. Max GIDs averages 210. Still able to get over 70 miles on a charge if needed but the "Let's see how far I can go without charging" game is over. I now charge up at least every other day.

Welcome to the club. You can see it's a function of time (at warmer temperatures like we have here) aggravated by mileage. I can look to braindonor's experience to see my future, just a couple months behind him.
Well, we've lost our 3rd bar yesterday at 34,500 miles - down to 9 bars now. I drove 45 miles to Hollywood (38 of them on I-95 at 60 mph) and had 11 miles on the GOM when we arrived.

LTLFTcomposite said:
spike09 said:

Well, we've lost our 3rd bar yesterday at 34,500 miles - down to 9 bars now. I drove 45 miles to Hollywood (38 of them on I-95 at 60 mph) and had 11 miles on the GOM when we arrived.

LTLFTcomposite said:
spike09 said:

LTLFTcomposite said:
spike09 said:

LTLFTcomposite said:
spike09 said:

Well, we've lost our 3rd capacity bar yesterday at 34,500 miles - we're down to 9 bars now. From a full charge, drove to Hollywood (45 miles, of which 38 were on I-95 at 60 mph) and had 11 miles on the GOM when we arrived.

Back