Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Festival Flea Market Car Show

On April 1st the Gold Coast Chapter of the Electric Automobile Association will be meeting at the Festival Flea Market Annual Spring Car Show. The club has 10 reserved spots. Those who are bringing cars be there at 8:00 to setup. The show opens to the public at 10:00am.

N1ghtrider said:

On April 1st the Gold Coast Chapter of the Electric Automobile Association will be meeting at the Festival Flea Market Annual Spring Car Show. The club has 10 reserved spots. Those who are bringing cars be there at 8:00 to setup. The show opens to the public at 10:00am.

I'll be there.

LTLFTcomposite said:
N1ghtrider said:

I'll be there.
I can't make it this Sunday but I am lookomg into auto shows here in Miami. So far I have found Jerry's Car Show who seems to focus on South Dade. And I also found the Countyline Dragway (off Krome and Okeechobee). http://www.countylinedragwayinc.com Have not yet gone but it is only $25 to race and $10 to watch.

spike09 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
N1ghtrider said:

I'll be there.

I can't make it this Sunday but I am lookomg into auto shows here in Miami. So far I have found Jerry's Car Show who seems to focus on South Dade. And I also found the Countyline Dragway (off Krome and Okeechobee). http://www.countylinedragwayinc.com Have not yet gone but it is only $25 to race and $10 to watch.

Was gonna go last week and race but I did not have enough charge my neighbor (did I spell that right?) races there ProStock and I was gonna go with him. He has a generator in his trailer, not sure how much that will help :?:
I need to figure how much juice to get there and back and make a few runs.
If you wanna get together on a Friday and try out it would be fun
Drop me an email

I might try and make the meet at the flea market on Sunday..... we dont seem to have a lot of interset in meeting each other which is a shame

Brightonuk said:
I might try and make the meet at the flea market on Sunday..... we dont seem to have a lot of interset in meeting each other which is a shame

Hope you can make it. The GCEAA guys are cool.

BTW who was driving the white LEAF this evening turning onto Clint Moore from Powerline?

So this may be slightly off-topic but I couldn't think of a better place to post it. I'm just curious but does anyone have experience with driving their Leaf at highway speeds for an extended period? I'm contemplating taking my Leaf to relatives in Ocala but it's 63.9 miles from our house in Clermont and highways the whole way (70+mph) on 27 N to the Turnpike to 1-95.

Anyone think it's possible I could make it with a 100% charge (and then charge overnight)? I only take the turnpike to work occasionally and anything over 70mph seems to eat up my bars.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:
So this may be slightly off-topic but I couldn't think of a better place to post it. I'm just curious but does anyone have experience with driving their Leaf at highway speeds for an extended period? I'm contemplating taking my Leaf to relatives in Ocala but it's 63.9 miles from our house in Clermont and highways the whole way (70+mph) on 27 N to the Turnpike to 1-95.

Anyone think it's possible I could make it with a 100% charge (and then charge overnight)? I only take the turnpike to work occasionally and anything over 70mph seems to eat up my bars.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Yes you can make it if you drive 65mph. Turn on the cruise control and pay attention to how many miles you get per bar. Readjust your speed to make sure you don't run out of charge before you get to your destination.

I do 65 miles every day and on I75 I am hitting 80+ I have never had less than 15 miles left when I get to work the speed does eat up the miles but you will be fine
(Hope you are staying overnight if you plan to recharge @ 120v) :D

Does anyone in the Miami-Dade/Broward County area have one of garygid's SOC (gid) meters I could borrow for a couple of days?

I'm not getting quite the range I expect from my battery and am wondering if the car may have been delivered to me with something less than what seems to be the standard for 100% capacity (281 gids).

I suspect I'm getting somewhere in the 250s, or maybe, low 260s on a 100% charge and it really hasn't changed much since I bought the car.

I, normally, don't push the limits of my car's range, since my commute is only 38 miles, so with very few exceptions I charge to 80%. But, I've run a couple of tests, recently, where I charge to 100% and let is sit plugged in for several hours afterward.

The first test was a little over a week ago (very early Sunday morning) where I was able to put the car in cruise control and run continuously at between 60 and 65 mph. I reached LBW at 62.2 miles. Seems a bit short range for no wind, 70 degrees and flat terrain.

I ran another test, today, with more of a mix of freeway and city street driving and reached LBW at 70.3 miles. 80 degrees and light winds.

Having driven a Prius for five years and getting 51 mpg, I've learned how to be a pretty efficient driver. I knew something seemed a bit odd with the LEAF. It's not a big deal if I started with 10% less battery capacity then most people, since I don't need to push the limits of my car's range. It's just a bit disappointing.

Hi,
I've seen a lot of talk about the GID meter and its readings. Can anybody point me towards some more info on this? Like what's a GID meter, what it measures and what the numbers mean.

OttoH said:
Hi,
I've seen a lot of talk about the GID meter and its readings. Can anybody point me towards some more info on this? Like what's a GID meter, what it measures and what the numbers mean.

I think here is where it started:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5582&hilit=gid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems that LEAF owners suffer far more from "battery degradation anxiety" than "range anxiety", especially those who own, rather than lease, their cars. Nissan, unfortunately, has provided essentially no method to determine the usable capacity (100% to turtle) of the battery, so our friend garygid has come up with a device to partially fill the gap.

Supposedly, if you have one of these meters, your car should read somewhere between 275 and 281 on a full charge. But, how that converts to usable capacity isn't clear.

Weatherman said:
I think here is where it started:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5582&hilit=gid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems that LEAF owners suffer far more from "battery degradation anxiety" than "range anxiety", especially those who own, rather than lease, their cars. Nissan, unfortunately, has provided essentially no method to determine the usable capacity (100% to turtle) of the battery, so our friend garygid has come up with a device to partially fill the gap.

Supposedly, if you have one of these meters, your car should read somewhere between 275 and 281 on a full charge. But, how that converts to usable capacity isn't clear.

Well, not only do I lease mine, I've also only had it for two weeks so I'm still knee-deep in "range anxiety". I'll work my way up to "Battery Degradation Anxiety" later :)

No worries mate I kinda gave up on geting people toghether as all I hear are crickits every time I try to arrange a meet.

I Still wanna do the drag race on Okeechobee one... Friday??

I think that would be a blast

Brightonuk said:
No worries mate I kinda gave up on geting people toghether as all I hear are crickits every time I try to arrange a meet.

I Still wanna do the drag race on Okeechobee one... Friday??

I think that would be a blast

I wouldn't mind meeting up again at the Davie show, but I just did that show at the flea market when you brought it up and wasn't quite in the mood to devote more time to being an uncompensated Nissan salesman. Let's kick around some future dates and see if we can rally the troops.

Where is this drag race? One concern that crossed my mind is I'll bet all our insurance policies have some clause about no motor sports competition. Probably nothing would happen but it could be ugly if there was so much as a fender bender.

I'm going to stop in at the GCEAA meeting tomorrow. Any input for that?

Back