Frequently Asked Questions about the Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q:If I want to "prewire" a new home for a future Leaf owner, what is required?

A:A home assessment will be part of the buying process. Sign up now to learn more when it?s available.

Fact:
Electric Motors are much more efficient (92%) then internal combustion motors (20%) This is due to high friction parts in gas engines (pistons, cranks, gears etc) where as electric motors only have bearings as friction loss (everything else is magnetic)

Fact:
Electric motors require no oil changes (only small amounts of grease on the bearings)

Fact:
Electric motors are completely zero pollution (assuming the electricity to charge the batteries is renewable)

Fact:
Batteries are hard to make, expensive and tough to dispose of. (this is getting better though with more research and development. Something gas engines have had many more years of)

Fact:
Electric vehicles get way more torque with less energy requiring smaller motors to power cars. Internal combustion doesn't get to full torque until high RPM's, electric motors have full torque all the time. Believe it or not, it's torque that moves a load, not horsepower.

Fact:
Quick charges will be available at home, and can be added to new or existing houses. You may require a service upgrade to a larger panel and or electrical lines from your hydro company, but it is entirely possible. The draw for a quick charge system will be rougly 70 Amps.

Fact:
The oil industry isn't going to disapear overnight, not even in 10 years, maybe gas vehicles will be phased out in 40 years. The amount of electricity we currently make is much to little to be able to charge EVERYONES car. The infastructure isn't there, see California when they have roaming black outs (shutting power off to parts of the city to conserve energy when everyone is running their air conditioners)

Fact:
Regenerative breaking is actually part of the motor. The motor turns into a generator, which takes 'effort' to turn, thus slowing down the car and generating power toe re-charge the batteries.

Back