Fun (ie its a joke) with CAN Messages (was Battery upgrade)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have made incorrect statements about EVSEs and High Voltage, please point them out (PM, in the post's thread, or here) so I can fix them. Usually, when speculating about how something works, I am careful to include words like "it could be", etc.

I read other posts that also express confusion over knowing when things are sarcastic or a joke. I suspect the pranksters enjoy it a lot more than most of the rest of us.

But, you could make a poll and see how many appreciate your sarcasm.

I do not, but I still want to believe that you are one who could contribute a lot of actually-helpful information and observations.

Or, perhaps start a "Jokes and Sarcasm" forum that most of us can ignore?

Maybe it is the engineer in me, perhaps my own sarcastic and curmudgeon self; but I knew from the get-go that it was clearly a joke. And I enjoyed it too, I might add.

Now, I look forward to what else we can extract and manipulate via CAN...

Lucky bastard! What do I have to do to earn an orange dot!?

Favoritism at its worst, I tell you. Moderators in their infinite power, with the arbitrary and capricious distribution of orange dots.

I'm going to go buy leafowner.com and sell my undelivered LEAF.

GroundLoop said:
I'm surprised.. my Infiniti G35 was 1Mbps.

I was hoping to feat my ValueCAN and CanCracker on it, but by the time I get my LEAF, you'll have the whole thing reverse engineered and self-parking.

On the Leaf, there is not that much on the CAN Bus, so there is no need for higher bit rates. Even on a Prius where there is a LOT of nodes, Toyota still opted for 500k.

Higher bit rates increase the chances for errors, and in an EV, there is a lot of electrical noise to contend with! (In fact, I'm surprised they went as fast as they did!)

In a Gen II Prius, I see about 1 retransmit a minute due to errors.

evnow said:
Turbo, did you contact the Scan gauge guys ? They might be of some help in reverse engineering.

I did and the answer is no, they are not interested at this time. They are located near to where I live and I was willing to take my car by so that they could try and pull some data.

Skywagon said:
I did and the answer is no, they are not interested at this time. They are located near to where I live and I was willing to take my car by so that they could try and pull some data.
Hmmm .... didn't someone here indicate that they were very interested ?

EVDRIVER said:
garygid said:
People might not find your CAN investigation under "battery upgrade".

But trying to confuse, mislead, and trick people seems to be a popular thing to do these days.

Perhaps if somebody erases 50% of the forum's threads, or renames them all to off-topic names, you "joking" guys will really think that is hysterical?

When you start fooling folks, without making it CLEAR to THEM that you are joking, they just start to discount everything you say.

Did you really work on CAN at all, or is that just another "joke"?

Gary you are far too serious, no one is intentionally misleading anyone and you should not accuse people of doing so. Besides, you have made some claims here about EVSE units and high voltages that are flat out wrong and you were being serious:) I don't think people need help moderating what is sarcasm joking and a bit of reading certainly reveals the reality to any intelligent person. This stuff goes on on many forums and if I dig I can find some examples from you just in a different style. Loosen up, no one is getting hurt.

He was like that on the Aptera forum also. Some people just have the personality of sand paper. :lol:

Back