Gas stations no longer on my daily radar or is it just me??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrIanB

Got the car about a week and a half and loving it so far. One thing I have noticed is that I no longer look at the gas prices to see who has the lowest on my daily driving. It is as if they are no longer there. That is weird or is it just me??

Damn I love this car, period.

Ian B

For me, since Charlotte is so close to the SC border, a lot of ICE drivers go down there for gas and wait a while because there in SC gas tax is about 30 cents cheaper than NC. I don't have to worry about doing THAT any more :D .

Me too.

Haven't even THOUGHT about a gas station since October 2011.

Every once in a while I will accidentally hear something on the news about gas prices, or how they are expected to go up to whatever by whenever.

But that just reminds me how much I lOVE my LEAF!

Well, not as much ... the LEAF isn't our only car but definitely buying less gas as it serves on weekend errand runs quite nicely. Had to fill up my other winter car and actually gas had gone down since the last fill up two weeks ago; no longer as 'painful' to be sure (it's a full size minivan that hates short trips -- only 16 MPG); assume most of you guys are using the LEAF as your only car?

I was at a gas station for the first time after 9 months on Sunday. One of the tires was low per the TIre Monitoring system.
We have an ICE, but I rarely get to drive it.

it's pretty fantastic isn't it!? Just a few years ago I wouldn't have thought it possible to have a car with such pick up and space and styling that runs on zero gas! We occasionally have to fill up our ICE and ponying up to the gas pump is just weird now. As soon as there is a plug in hybrid SUV, we will replace our ICE with that as well and be almost gas free completely!

I know what you mean. Funny story, I went to fill up our ICE car about 2 weeks ago (first fill-up in about 5 weeks) and I got out of the car, popped the gas lid from inside the car, went over to the pump, took the gas nozzle out of the holster, pressed my grade, put it in my car and pulled the handle and... nothing. Took me about 3 seconds to realize that unlike my L2 charger at home, I have to PAY, as opposed to having the amount charged to me later :lol: I had a good chuckle to myself about that.

However, it only took 3 minutes to fill the car up which I can't say about my Leaf... yet.

I think even Volt drivers don't stop at the pump very often, some of them go 4-6 months (or longer) on the same 9 gallons of high octane, many of them get 35-50 miles of EV range. I don't think this is unique to pure EV's, the Fiskar Karma is also similar.

redLEAF said:
Well, not as much ...

Me neither. In fact, I had to drive the wife's Mazda yesterday for the first time in months. Did several trips.

What did I notice? First, the vibration. Second, the fuel gauge needle barely.moved.at.all.

Going from once a month gas fill ups to twice a week electric fill ups ain't that much of a deal. Can't beat the price though.

EricBayArea said:
However, it only took 3 minutes to fill the car up which I can't say about my Leaf... yet.

I know, isn't that a pain? With the LEAF it only takes about 20 seconds and night and 20 seconds in the morning! All that time wasted at gas pumps standing outside doing nothing except watching your money disappear on a little LCD screen!

The frist time I passed a gas station after buying my LEAF, I gave it the finger. Now I just ignore them. I would be hard pressed to say what the current price of gas is.

I still pay attention because the cost of fuel and petroleum affects the price of MANY of the other things that we depend on. Plus, I use it in a number of other non-automotive applications (motorcycle, boat, plane, etc...) as well as our ice.

lukati said:
The frist time I passed a gas station after buying my LEAF, I gave it the finger. Now I just ignore them. I would be hard pressed to say what the current price of gas is.

^ +1

I still pay close attention since I have other vehicles to fuel that my livelihood depends on as well as for recreational. I can say that the increases hurt less than is use to.

I have driven my formerly-nimble Civic Hybrid a few miles since getting the Leaf, and it grinds like a tank and feels so squishy and unresponsive. The only gas I bought the last two months was two fill-ups on my Harley (4 gals each). I rarely lock the Leaf as the only thing I used to carry in the car that might be stolen was my gas credit cards, which are not there.

We don't watch because it isn't interesting. Prices have remained where they are for the last 8 months. But when they start going up again, I believe it will become fun to watch.

Went to the gas station in our LEAF a few months back...to get a drink :) Those gas station are still good for somethings...like quicker to get a cold drink than the supermarket.

occ said:
Went to the gas station in our LEAF a few months back...to get a drink :) Those gas station are still good for somethings...like quicker to get a cold drink than the supermarket.
I will stop at the corner liquor, 7-11, Circle K etc but I have so far completely avoided taking LEAF in a gas station.

I laugh every time I drive by the Costco station and see the long lines of those trying to save a few cents. I'll bet some of them wait as long to fill up as we Leafers will at a QC station. :lol:

BTW, You have a pretty low Leaf number for only having it 1.5 weeks. Is it used?

MrIanB said:
Got the car about a week and a half and loving it so far. One thing I have noticed is that I no longer look at the gas prices to see who has the lowest on my daily driving. It is as if they are no longer there. That is weird or is it just me??

Damn I love this car, period.

Ian B

Back