Gasoline May Rise Above $5 a Gallon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nekota said:
GRA said:
FWIW, my corner gas station has dropped from the peak of $4.66 about 3 weeks ago to $3.96 as of yesterday, or $0.70/gal for regular, IIRR $0.13/gal. less than it was before the spike. I can't ever recall prices dropping that fast before after a spike, but suspect the difference was allowing the switch to winter fuel early.

October 2008 was a rapid sustained drop - see link

http://www.SanJoseGasPrices.com/retail_price_chart.aspx?city1=SanJose&city2=&city3=&crude=n&tme=60&units=us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yikes, how could I have forgotten that plunge over the summer?

$3.29 here, but same deal with SUV's. We try to keep track of the Hummer/Leaf ratio here and I think lately it's been greater than 1. :\

gsleaf said:
$3.29 here, but same deal with SUV's. We try to keep track of the Hummer/Leaf ratio here and I think lately it's been greater than 1. :\
Lowest around here is $3.25/gal but those stations are nowhere near me.

I don't so much mind small and medium-sized SUVs. It's the battering ram of death class (5200+ lb. full-sized) SUVs almost always being driven around solo w/or minimal passengers and cargo (e.g. Navigators, Escalades, Tahoes, Expedition and their extended length ilk like the Suburban, Escalade ESV, Yukon XL) that really irk me. There are an insane % of those in my area, usually driven to the capacity I describe.

Sometimes, I see multiple Hummer H2s in a day (6400+ lb. uber-battering rams of death). One day when I went to run an errand and have lunch, I saw 2 of them, even though I drove less than 7.5 miles in total.

I saw an Escalade parked in an EV charging space in one of the parking garages downtown this weekend. 4 of 6 chargers were ICEd in that garage thanks to wimpy signage, lack of enforcement, and an inexhaustible supply of selfish jerks. Selfish people won't behave in a civilized fashion unless they perceive a credible threat of being punished. That's why the fine for parking in handicap parking starts at 1000 dollars.

As far as the ups and downs in gas price, I expect that we will see some major increases over the mid and long term. Solar power plus a battery electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle for commuting and shopping makes sense already, and will become more economical as time goes by.

sorry but have to go back to this again and again and again. The current "fiscal cliff" debate is completely ignoring the obvious.

it aint about personal wealth, its corporate wealth that is the ONLY way we can get enough money to start paying down the debt. but how to tax and not raise prices? with gasoline, that is easy

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/12/government-assistance-it-aint-always.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgpcolorado said:
I saw $2.67/gallon yesterday. The fuel cost incentive for driving electric continues to disappear, sad to say. We have a long way to go to get to $5/gallon!

That may be lower but, with the new taxes and everyone getting less in their paychecks they will feel it still and may help EV sales if gas keeps going up as it is here in Cedar Park, Texas.

Ian B

^^^
Yep. My gas price observations are similar. They've been headed back up. A not-so-cheap Shell station is at $3.55 when it was $3.49 not long ago. I passed by a cheaper station (Valero) and it was $3.43 for cash only, more for credit.

Still seeing tons of battering ram of death class SUVs running around being driven solo and/or w/minimal passengers (usually no more than 1-2 passengers) and cargo.

cwerdna said:
Still seeing tons of battering ram of death class SUVs running around being driven solo and/or w/minimal passengers (usually no more than 1-2 passengers) and cargo.

And you know, they don't seem to care one bit about their gas consumption, or even brag about it. I saw a Suburban leaving Home Depot the other day with this bumper sticker:
http://www.desertdogdecals.com/my-carbon-footprint-will-fit-nicely-up-your-liberal-ass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gasoline prices predicted to fall in 2013:
http://news.yahoo.com/gasoline-prices-predicted-fall-2013-193421544--finance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forecasters say ample oil supplies and weak U.S. demand will keep a lid on prices. The lows will be lower and the highs won't be so high compared with a year ago. The average price of a gallon of gasoline will fall 5 percent to $3.44, according to the Energy Department...

keydiver said:
I saw a Suburban leaving Home Depot the other day with this bumper sticker:
http://www.desertdogdecals.com/my-carbon-footprint-will-fit-nicely-up-your-liberal-ass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funny how the web site brags about donating a % of sales to the wounded warrior fund.

I've been thinking about a bumper sticker to the tune of
"No U.S. Soldier died to propel my car"
Anyone here make bumper stickers or seen any EV sticker that's similar to this?

Philip

Back