Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
Chevrolet Volt Assembly Plant In Hamtramck Idled A Month. But Not Why You Are Thinking
- Jay (Statik) Cole [AFAIK from Canada - BTW]

Looks like GM changed its mind about "no comment" as Jay originally reported. His updated text includes this.

Good back story about Canadian CAW.
Quote:
GM is currently waging war with the Canadian Auto Workers Union...
GM officially has also since come out with a statement saying they are “gearing up for production of the new Impala” and that the idling is “not due to poor Volt sales.”
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-volt-assembly-plant-in-hamtramck-idled-a-month-but-not-why-you-are-thinking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aside: There have been a regular flow of new Volt owners chiming in at gm-volt.com

Hey Scott,

Just happened to pass by and noticed your comment and figured I would as well, (=

Few things more annoying than dealing with a "no comment-we don't comment on the future" stock answer from someone, then you go fish out your own sources, get some quotes about what is really happening from workers inside, only to have GM come back a few hours later and do an about face and just say 'yupe, its not about Volt sales, doing some Impala tooling'

Two hours of work yesterday down the drain. Ah well, what can you do? Nature of the beast. Hopefully the Impala, GM vs. union thing is still an interesting read for someone.

Jay

Yesterday, Automotive News (subscription required) reported the news that the Detroit Hamtramck facility, where the 2013 Chevrolet Volt is made, is to pause production of the plug-in hybrid for four weeks.

The second time General Motors has temporarily halted production of the plug-in car, the four-week halt, like last time, has been partly caused by an oversupply of Volts.

In other words, GM is making Volts, along with its European sibling the Opel Ampera, faster than it is selling them.

According to GM however, oversupply isn’t the only reason the plant is closing down for four weeks from September 17.

A GM spokesperson told us yesterday that the downtime was also planned to allow the plant to ready itself for production of the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Impala, which it will start making in the first quarter of 2013.

Then, GM says, it will add a second shift to cope with production of the Volt, Impala, and limited numbers Malibus.

The last time GM throttled back on Volt production, it had more than 154 days’ worth of Volts in inventory. On August 1, that figure had lowered to 84 days’ supply, 24 days higher than the ideal auto industry target of 60 days...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078776_2013-chevy-volt-production-to-halt-for-4-weeks-from-mid-september" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Following on from previous reports. Sales are relatively strong.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chevy-volt-broke-monthly-sales-201242708.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chevy-volt-broke-monthly-sales-201242708.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent news:
DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors says sales of its Chevrolet Volt electric car will break a monthly record in August.

The company says it already has sold more than 2,500 Volts this month with two days left. The old record was 2,000 in March.

A spokeswoman says about one-third of the sales are in California, where Volt owners can drive alone in carpool lanes. She says sales are growing in other states.

So far this year GM has sold more than 13,000 Volts. The car can go about 35 miles on battery power before a small gas generator kicks in to keep it moving.

Earlier this week GM said it will close the Volt factory in Detroit next month to control inventory and retool the plant to build the new Chevrolet Impala.

scottf200 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Excellent news:
DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors says sales of its Chevrolet Volt electric car will break a monthly record in August.

The company says it already has sold more than 2,500 Volts this month with two days left. The old record was 2,000 in March.

A spokeswoman says about one-third of the sales are in California, where Volt owners can drive alone in carpool lanes. She says sales are growing in other states.

So far this year GM has sold more than 13,000 Volts. The car can go about 35 miles on battery power before a small gas generator kicks in to keep it moving.

Earlier this week GM said it will close the Volt factory in Detroit next month to control inventory and retool the plant to build the new Chevrolet Impala.
If they can keep that pace up (not likely once GM's incentives drop) they'll be on track to boost yearly sales from the 18-20k range they were on, to the 20-22k range. Still small, but trending in the right direction. Of course, once the Fusion (and maybe C-Max) and Accord PHEVs come out they'll be facing more competition, and I don't think the market is growing fast enough yet to absorb the extra cars without decreasing Volt sales. Let's hope I'm wrong and they all show upward trends. The 54.5 mpg CAFE standard may help a bit, even if that doesn't take effect until 2025. I don't know if meeting the 35.5 mpg 2016 standard will need large sales of PHEVs, but at the moment it seems that improved ICEs and HEVs are more than enough.

An additional news article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120829/AUTO0103/208290467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

August 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm
GM: August to be Volt's best month with sales topping 2,500

By David Shepardson
Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington — General Motors Co. said Wednesday that August will mark its best-ever sales month for its plug-in hybrid Chevrolet Volt, with sales topping 2,500.

GM spokeswoman Michelle Malko said the company would report sales of more than 2,500 Volts

"We are seeing sales momentum continuing to build for the Volt, especially in key markets — California, Michigan, Illinois and Florida," she said. "We're starting to see other markets grow as well. As with a lot of first generation technologies, it takes time to build customer awareness."

GM's best-ever month was in March, when it sold 2,289 Volts.

Malko said Volt sales will outpace the Toyota Prius's second year. The Volt through August will have sales of 13,300, compared to 15,600 total sales of the Prius in 2001.
<snip>

One thing to keep in mind is that the CAFE numbers referenced are NOT the same numbers used on the EPA fuel mileage stickers. The CAFE numbers are the older much more optimistic numbers used before the EPA revised their formulas. Thus, the standard is not as impressive or far-reaching as it may seem on the surface...

GRA said:
The 54.5 mpg CAFE standard may help a bit, even if that doesn't take effect until 2025. I don't know if meeting the 35.5 mpg 2016 standard will need large sales of PHEVs, but at the moment it seems that improved ICEs and HEVs are more than enough.

Never thought I would say this, but I am almost wishing I had bought a Volt instead of a Leaf. Still can't stand the thought of buying another vehicle that burns fossil fuels, but with the battery capacity issue and Nissan's lack of response it makes me wonder how my pack will hold up. For now I don't take my Leaf to the Valley when predicted temp is greater than 95 degrees... but that means I have been taking my ICE vehicle to work all week. Even though I have no battery capacity problems so far, it is still affecting my use of the Leaf in order to try to protect my investment.

TomT said:
GRA said:
The 54.5 mpg CAFE standard may help a bit, even if that doesn't take effect until 2025. I don't know if meeting the 35.5 mpg 2016 standard will need large sales of PHEVs, but at the moment it seems that improved ICEs and HEVs are more than enough.
One thing to keep in mind is that the CAFE numbers referenced are NOT the same numbers used on the EPA fuel mileage stickers. The CAFE numbers are the older much more optimistic numbers used before the EPA revised their formulas. Thus, the standard is not as impressive or far-reaching as it may seem on the surface...
Yeah, Tom, I know, I'm just happy that we've finally moved beyond the 27.5 mpg CAFE that dates from 1985, and that the US fleet CAFE is _improving_ again, after going the other direction for years.

TomT said:
One thing to keep in mind is that the CAFE numbers referenced are NOT the same numbers used on the EPA fuel mileage stickers. The CAFE numbers are the older much more optimistic numbers used before the EPA revised their formulas.
Sticker and CAFE numbers are totally different. For electric cars, when calculating CAFE there is a "Don't Use Petroleum" adjustment factor of 6.667 applied. After the adjustment a gallon of gas contains 82 kWh of energy and the Leaf gets something like 367 MPG. http://www.sae.org/mags/AEI/6559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200 said:
An additional news article:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120829/AUTO0103/208290467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

August 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm
GM: August to be Volt's best month with sales topping 2,500

By David Shepardson
Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington — General Motors Co. said Wednesday that August will mark its best-ever sales month for its plug-in hybrid Chevrolet Volt, with sales topping 2,500.

GM spokeswoman Michelle Malko said the company would report sales of more than 2,500 Volts

"We are seeing sales momentum continuing to build for the Volt, especially in key markets — California, Michigan, Illinois and Florida," she said. "We're starting to see other markets grow as well. As with a lot of first generation technologies, it takes time to build customer awareness."

GM's best-ever month was in March, when it sold 2,289 Volts.

Malko said Volt sales will outpace the Toyota Prius's second year. The Volt through August will have sales of 13,300, compared to 15,600 total sales of the Prius in 2001.
<snip>

Details on GM's current dealer incentive program to goose August Volt sales, as reported by Jay Cole:

...Why the sudden take off at the end of the 2012 model year, after three months at a selling level of about 1,700?

Malko said, “As people see their neighbors have one and as they start to understand the technology and are able to drive it, they put it into their consideration.” While also adding that the 2012s were not being discounted to clear lots.

The last statement is where the water starts to get a little murky.

It Is Not A Discount, But An Incentive To Sell

There is no question the Volt has been a sold seller, especially compared to the other plug-in offerings on the market, besting even the plug-in Prius in 3 of the past 4 months.

However, if you have been in the market for a Volt of late, there is no way to not notice the massive discounting going on in August.

And while GM is right in saying they are not ‘discounting’ the outgoing 2012 Volt over the 2013s, InsideEVs has learned that there is a dealer incentive program running behind the scenes that is exerting enormous pressure on many dealers to move Volts (both 2012 and 2013 model years) for way below invoice pricing during August and into early September.

According to sources to InsideEVs, the program works like this:

GM gives each dealership a target number of Volt sales between May and September. And if that dealership sells triple that number, the dealer gets a $2,500 credit towards future floor product purchases from GM on EVERY Volt they have sold during this period. The wind down of this program is September 4th.

Alright, How About $3,000 Off Then? Now Really Is The Time To Buy A Chevy Volt

So, imagine yourself as a dealer; and GM gives you a (3x) magic number of 120 Volts as a sales target. Now imagine yourself sitting at 100 Volts sold in mid August. If you move 20 more Volts over the next 2 or 3 weeks, you are going to receive $300,000 in credits from GM. If you fail to sell those last 20, you are going to get nothing.

How desperate are you to move those last 20?...
http://insideevs.com/best-sales-month-ever-for-volt-over-2500-sold-in-august-and-here-is-why/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
Never thought I would say this, but I am almost wishing I had bought a Volt instead of a Leaf. Still can't stand the thought of buying another vehicle that burns fossil fuels, but with the battery capacity issue and Nissan's lack of response it makes me wonder how my pack will hold up. For now I don't take my Leaf to the Valley when predicted temp is greater than 95 degrees... but that means I have been taking my ICE vehicle to work all week. Even though I have no battery capacity problems so far, it is still affecting my use of the Leaf in order to try to protect my investment.

Ohhh nooooo, so your leaf has become a garage-hybrid. Well its still a nice car. Hopefully Nissan will actually stand behind it. Its sad to say, looking at the ad at the top of my screen for "$11,000" off MSRP for a 2012 leaf (from http://www.fontananissan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), that the unresolved battery issue is hurting them big time. Even during the volt "fires" and congressional investigations we did not see such discounting.

DrInnovation said:
Ohhh nooooo, so your leaf has become a garage-hybrid. Well its still a nice car. Hopefully Nissan will actually stand behind it. Its sad to say, looking at the ad at the top of my screen for "$11,000" off MSRP for a 2012 leaf (from http://www.fontananissan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), that the unresolved battery issue is hurting them big time. Even during the volt "fires" and congressional investigations we did not see such discounting.
Yes, but the $11,000 includes the federal tax credit so it isn't quite what it seems. Weather is cooling a bit, so hopefully my Leaf can come out of hibernation until next summer. :D

I am quite happy with the gas only mileage actually. I got > 42 MPG last weekend driving 70 MPH! I reset my Trip B Odo 0.9 miles after the gas generator/engine turned on as these two photos prove.

These are the same trip but different views.
See 288 miles on gas (38 miles on battery):

louisvillecimg6175resiz.jpg

70 MPH & 42+MPG - see 287 miles on gas (so does not include battery miles) - reset 0.9 miles after ICE started:
louisvillecimg6174resiz.jpg

Stoaty said:
DrInnovation said:
Yes, but the $11,000 includes the federal tax credit so it isn't quite what it seems. Weather is cooling a bit, so hopefully my Leaf can come out of hibernation until next summer. :D

Bummer.. I also just saw some $99 leaf lease deals and thinking Nissian was getting serious about selling them, even if it took a serious price cut. (And that maybe the TN plant was getting them look at changing their pricing.).

DrInnovation said:
Stoaty said:
DrInnovation said:

Bummer.. I also just saw some $99 leaf lease deals and thinking Nissian was getting serious about selling them, even if it took a serious price cut. (And that maybe the TN plant was getting them look at changing their pricing.).

$99 lease? Seriously... that is tempting.

Slow GM and Ford PHEV/BEV sales seem to be really hurting LG.

If all the Volt and Focus batteries are coming from Korea (?), just who is now buying LG's US made batteries?

LG Chem Extends Furloughs In Michigan. Domestic Battery Cell Manufacturing For Volt Delayed

When Fully Operation LG Chem's Holland MI Facility Can Supply Batteries For Approximately 200,000 EVs And Hybrid Cars

LG Chem has had employees In Holland, Michigan on “rolling furloughs” since April, and it appears that will continue indefinitely.

Faced with slower growth than expected in the plug-in vehicle industry, and a second shutdown of Volt production on the horizon (which was not related to demand for the vehicle, but due to the addtion of the new Impala to the plant), LG Chem has told its employees to expect further rounds of unpaid leaves at the $303 million dollar facility to continue into the foreseeable future.

The 600,000+ square-foot, battery cell plant was expected to be fully operational by “mid 2012,” with up to 400 employees, and have the ability to produce batteries for about 200,000 hybrid and electric cars.

“The furloughs are the result of a re-timing of the start of battery cell production as the electric vehicle market develops,” the company said in a statement sent to the Holland Sentinel.

The first round of furloughs began on April 30th, and LG Chem told its employees ahead of the long weekend on Thursday that the slowdown would continue.

Currently, the plant is working on a revolving three-fourths of their regular schedule, and the furloughs involves all 200 of the plants workers. According to LG Chem, health care benefits programs will still be active, and employees are eligible for unemployment benefits when not at work.

As for when the plant might return to full operating mode, and begin production, the company was unsure.

“As market conditions shift, LG Chem will begin production when demand increases and will operate the plant on a full time schedule as soon as possible. That will ultimately depend on market conditions and consumer demand.”

The plant’s two largest contracts are currently with General Motors (Volt) and the Ford (Focus Electric). US fabricated cells are now not expected to be seen inside the two plug-ins until early 2013...

http://insideevs.com/lg-chem-extends-furloughs-at-battery-plant-in-michigan-domestic-cell-manufacturing-for-volt-delayed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed; the battery plant article is a perfect illustration of the "give and take" of congress. Big Oil gave in on that funding knowing that the control they exercised in other areas would insure a slow adoption of the technology.

unfortunately, EVs will take a long time to gain critical mass due to still unfavorable legislation. we do have small enclaves of EV friendly governments that are moving towards replacing gas fleets with EVs wherever the range would allow them to complete their intended functions and EVs can fill a transportation niche in EVERY single state, local and federal jurisdiction

but we are not mandating the technology so we are in essence, paying lip service to it. make no mistake; EVs have a long uphill battle to fight and Big Oil is at the peak rolling huge obstacles down the hill in our path

I was up in the Sierra around Tuolumne Meadows and down the east side (Lee Vining down to a bit north of Mammoth) over the weekend. While I was mainly riding my bicycle for fun, I also took the opportunity to check out current and potential future locations for EVSEs and evangelize for them, for a proposal I'm working on to send the park service and the concessionaire, as well as to help Randy3 with his planned attempt to drive from the new L2 in Yosemite Valley up to Tuolumne.

While doing this, I was reminded of just how far affordable BEVs have to go in terms of both infrastructure and battery cost/range to be mainstream, by the sight of a black Bay Area Volt (sold by Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose, judging by the license plate frame) that I spotted parked at a couple of different sites in Tuolumne Meadows. A trip that's a routine non-event in a PHEV is a time-consuming minor expedition in most BEVs. It will take affordable BEVs with at least double the range plus well-sited L3s to eliminate the expeditionary aspects of such a trip. Hopefully we're only a couple of years away from that.

Interesting twist, although the first I've seen an amount of this size thrown around ... seem to recall that Nissan was actually making money on each LEAF sold but even if they were breaking even wouldn't think it would be quite this bad

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/insight-gms-volt-ugly-math-041323478.html

"General Motors Co sold a record number of Chevrolet Volt sedans in August — but that probably isn't a good thing for the automaker's bottom line.

Nearly two years after the introduction of the path-breaking plug-in hybrid, GM is still losing as much as $49,000 on each Volt it builds, according to estimates provided to Reuters by industry analysts and manufacturing experts.

Cheap Volt lease offers meant to drive more customers to Chevy showrooms this summer may have pushed that loss even higher. There are some Americans paying just $5,050 to drive around for two years in a vehicle that cost as much as $89,000 to produce.

No question that someone who gets a low cost lease on one of these is doing quite well but I wonder how long they can keep this up ...

Back