Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an interesting youtube link that explains the Volt drive train in a simulation video. There has been many but this one seems new to me and it kinda pulls it altogether nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5ZwzNwTc4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Volusiano said:
Here's an interesting youtube link that explains the Volt drive train in a simulation video. There has been many but this one seems new to me and it kinda pulls it altogether nicely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5ZwzNwTc4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Definately a clean version of the others that are from a video camera at a presentation.

The 2 motor high speed CD all electric driving at 2:30ish really makes this system unique STILL TODAY for highway efficient driving.

Weather here in Chicagoland is in nice high 60s and low 70s so my 45 EV miles per charges is back on my 2011 10.3/16kWh (same as I got the first 2 years ago). I see folks with the 2013 10.8/16.5 kWh battery getting over 50 miles on a charger.

scottf200 said:
Volusiano said:
Definately a clean version of the others that are from a video camera at a presentation.

The 2 motor high speed CD all electric driving at 2:30ish really makes this system unique STILL TODAY for highway efficient driving.

Weather here in Chicagoland is in nice high 60s and low 70s so my 45 EV miles per charges is back on my 2011 10.3/16kWh (same as I got the first 2 years ago). I see folks with the 2013 10.8/16.5 kWh battery getting over 50 miles on a charger.

During the mild winter in PHX I was easily getting over 50 miles in my 2013 Volt. Now in 100-degree temps I'm still getting in the mid 40's. I've really been impressed by the range, but wish the pack was 2x the size, as I hate when gas motor kicks in.

Re: 200,000,000 EV miles and 321,000,000 total miles
Certainly shows those non-EV owners that question the reliability of the Volt that it was a success.
(rem: this is only for USA Volts and those that registered for OnStar)

18s8B.jpeg

18s8M.jpeg

Yep, if the Volt had had a bigger pack, I likely would have picked it over the Leaf. But as it was, I'd be spending a portion of my commute each day on gas and that made no sense...

jspearman said:
During the mild winter in PHX I was easily getting over 50 miles in my 2013 Volt. Now in 100-degree temps I'm still getting in the mid 40's. I've really been impressed by the range, but wish the pack was 2x the size, as I hate when gas motor kicks in.

I still say it's too bad they don't make a Voltec-powered mid-size crossover type thing that has some cargo/people carrying versatility. I'd be all over that, electric for around town and gas for longer trips, a great solution for the infrastructure realities of the next several years. The perfect companion to pair with a Leaf that would also cover those trips to home depot.

Bob Lutz does have a point, one thing that has been a deterrent to the Volt's success is the vehicle class it compares to gets pretty good fuel economy already. A PHEV CUV or minivan would be more compelling in that regard.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I still say it's too bad they don't make a Voltec-powered mid-size crossover type thing that has some cargo/people carrying versatility. I'd be all over that, electric for around town and gas for longer trips, a great solution for the infrastructure realities of the next several years. The perfect companion to pair with a Leaf that would also cover those trips to home depot.

Bob Lutz does have a point, one thing that has been a deterrent to the Volt's success is the vehicle class it compares to gets pretty good fuel economy already. A PHEV CUV or minivan would be more compelling in that regard.
I certainly agree and something like the PHEV Outlander is going to have a lot of success. Comparables of amount of gas used (normal EV and some gas driving) would be impressive. I've gotten 40 MPG in the Volt at 65 MPH so certainly above most cars out there. I've taken more and more road trips lately and it is very comfortable for two adults.

scottf200 said:
I certainly agree and something like the PHEV Outlander is going to have a lot of success. Comparables of amount of gas used (normal EV and some gas driving) would be impressive. I've gotten 40 MPG in the Volt at 65 MPH so certainly above most cars out there. I've taken more and more road trips lately and it is very comfortable for two adults.
I think the fault lies with the likes of BoB Lutz - who wanted a sportsy car rather than what would really sell well. They should have started with a crossover/mini-van rather than a compact.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I still say it's too bad they don't make a Voltec-powered mid-size crossover type thing that has some cargo/people carrying versatility. I'd be all over that, electric for around town and gas for longer trips, a great solution for the infrastructure realities of the next several years.
Ford makes one, it's called the C-MAX Energi. :p

evnow said:
I think the fault lies with the likes of BoB Lutz - who wanted a sportsy car rather than what would really sell well. They should have started with a crossover/mini-van rather than a compact.
So you don't think 200 million electric/battery only miles is significant?
How many other plug-ins cars (PHEV) would exist today if the Volt was not created? I think some credit is due - at least partially.
18s8B.jpeg

drees said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I still say it's too bad they don't make a Voltec-powered mid-size crossover type thing that has some cargo/people carrying versatility. I'd be all over that, electric for around town and gas for longer trips, a great solution for the infrastructure realities of the next several years.
Ford makes one, it's called the C-MAX Energi.
Not sure that is a great example or proof <grin> if you look at the sales numbers! (Yes, I'm a Ford fan - have owned a few)

Monthly-Plugins.png

Volt
18jia.jpeg

scottf200 said:
evnow said:
How many other plug-ins cars (PHEV) would exist today if the Volt was not created? I think some credit is due - at least partially.
I'd rather save the criticism for all the other manufacturers who either haven't lifted a finger, or who have been dragged kicking and screaming to put out a few hundred compliance cars in CA. At least the Volt is readily available everywhere, and I might be going out later today and adding one to their sales numbers, since our ICE just crapped out last night. I'll check out the energi but I don't have much hope of finding one in the leaf/volt lease price range.

scottf200 said:
evnow said:
Irrespective of the size you use for the reply, I stand by my statement ;-)

Question is not one of how many miles people have driven. The question is - if instead of Volt they had put that same drive train in a vehicle with better utility would we have seen more sales and more miles. At least they would have had one more sale - to me.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
evnow said:

Question is not one of how many miles people have driven. The question is - if instead of Volt they had put that same drive train in a vehicle with better utility would we have seen more sales and more miles. At least they would have had one more sale - to me.

If GM had introduced the ELR first at $60k and then the Volt 3 years later at $40k, I think the acceptance for both vehicles would have been better. Since the ELR is bigger and heavier, I think the Volt drive train could be used in a small SUV or even a full sized sedan like the Impala or Buick Lacross, and this of course means more sales and more electric miles driven. I also think once people experience driving an EV, not just the Volt, but any EV, they would be sold on electricity as a viable alternative to gas.

The Volt is an intermediate step between the current and the future. I think its most important contribution is helping to wean the public away from gas. It looks like the average Volt driver drives about 2/3 on electric. So, the average person can experience the joy of electric propulsion most of the time, but still have the ICE crutch to lean on for range concerns, which over time I think they will learn is not as big an issue as they might have believed. This will make the transition from plugin to full electric easier, particularly as the technology improves and the costs come down.

Kudos to GM for the first viable plugin, and working in parallel with Nissan to create a real force in the electric revolution.

Drove an Energi and was not impressed... It wasn't so much the power train but the rest of the vehicle and the packaging...

drees said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Ford makes one, it's called the C-MAX Energi. :p

TomT said:
Drove an Energi and was not impressed... It wasn't so much the power train but the rest of the vehicle and the packaging...
Ford dealer just called me back, they want $528/mo for the energi on a three year lease. That's so far out there it's not even worth a dialog.

Thinking about becoming a volt+leaf household. Two leafs aren't going to work, we need something for longer distances and there is very little charging infrastructure in Florida. Tesla would great, but that's just not in the budget.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Thinking about becoming a volt+leaf household. Two leafs aren't going to work, we need something for longer distances and there is very little charging infrastructure in Florida. Tesla would great, but that's just not in the budget.
Lot of us are in this situation. Volt won't cut it (not enough space etc), Energi is also compromised because of trunk space. Now we wait for Mitsu Outlander - or may be just Model X ( I recently moved my old S booking to X).

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/chevy-throws-4-000-rebate-slow-selling-volt-213902418.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder how this affects leases.

evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Lot of us are in this situation. Volt won't cut it (not enough space etc), Energi is also compromised because of trunk space. Now we wait for Mitsu Outlander - or may be just Model X ( I recently moved my old S booking to X).
Yeah, the C-Max Energi's biggest problem is that it takes the 'U' out of 'CUV'. If it had the cargo space of the hybrid C-Max, sales would be far better. Chevy needs a CUV smaller than the Equinox (say <= 180" long), with the Voltec powertrain. The Outlander, like the Equinox, is bigger than I want or need.

evnow said:
We're talking 2006 when it wasn't clear the battery technology would work. It would definitely NOT have worked in a vehicle the size of an SUV or mini-van. You'd need too many cells and you'd end up with a vehicle which was too expensive. So those form factors weren't an option.

They made it a hatch, which is essentially a CUV with less ground clearance and less height, both of which make for a more aerodynamic vehicle. There is a reason why the Volt, the Leaf, the Model S, and the Prius all use this form factor.

As for an SUV having mass appeal, we're not seeing the Toyota RAV4-E jump off the lots.

Back