Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"2015 Chevrolet Volt unexpectedly gets increase in battery capacity, range:

Everyone seems to be holding out for the 2016 Chevrolet Volt, the model year due for a significant redesign. Yet even the unheralded 2015 model has received an unexpected improvement.

Nobody really expected much out of the 2015 Chevrolet Volt. After all, the big redesign is coming next year to rejuvenate GM’s flagship plug-in hybrid. This year’s model wasn’t supposed to receive any notable changes.

A first report has now been confirmed, however – the 2015 Chevrolet Volt will receive a small boost in battery capacity and corresponding electric range.

This year’s edition of the world’s best-selling plug-in hybrid gets a little bit better with 17.1 kWh of battery capacity, up 3.6% from the previous model’s 16.5 kWh.

Considering the 2014 model year had about 10 kWh of usable capacity, the assumption that the additional 600 Wh will all be “usable” capacity yields a potential 6% increase in all-electric range. To your average Chevrolet Volt driver, this theoretically increases the car’s 38-mile electric range to just over 40 miles."

http://www.torquenews.com/2250/2015-chevrolet-volt-unexpectedly-gets-increase-battery-capacity-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
"
This year’s edition of the world’s best-selling plug-in hybrid gets a little bit better with 17.1 kWh of battery capacity, up 3.6% from the previous model’s 16.5 kWh.

Considering the 2014 model year had about 10 kWh of usable capacity, the assumption that the additional 600 Wh will all be “usable” capacity yields a potential 6% increase in all-electric range. To your average Chevrolet Volt driver, this theoretically increases the car’s 38-mile electric range to just over 40 miles."
It's not well-known, but the 2014 Volt uses a slightly wider depth of charge than earlier Volts. Assuming that holds for 2015, the progression looks something like this:

2011: 16 kWh, 65% usable, 10.4 kWh usable
2012: same as above
2013: 16.5 kWh, 65% usable, 10.8 kWh usable
2014: 16.5 kWh, 69% usable, 11.4 kWh usable
2015: 17.1 kWh, 69% usable. 11.8 kWh usable

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?114609-MY-2012-vs-2014-Differences&p=1575490#post1575490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10.4 to 11.8 usable between 2011 and 2015 is about a 13% increase. At the Volt's EPA .35 kWh per mile estimate that would nominally add 4 miles of range to the 2011 estimate of 35 miles. However, they may have tweaked some power electronics in 2013 when they jumped from 35 to 38 miles of EPA range from only a 0.5 kWh battery size increase. Some Idaho National Lab testing seems to indicate an improvement in the efficiency of the inverter in the 2013 vs 2011 model years.

So, it's a reasonable guess that a new EPA estimate for 2015 might claim a 40 mile range. Actual achievable range is probably 50-55 miles in favorable conditions at normal driving speeds (as opposed to driving around a track non-stop at 20 mph which is probably good for 75-80 miles).

Yep, it has basically had no problems of any kind since day one. I'd call it the reliability king.

LTLFTcomposite said:
With the leaf's failing batteries and MS failing drive units it does seem like of the plugin "big 3" the Volt is the best at actually delivering on what it promises.

Interesting question when purchasing a used Volt.

Do gas fueled miles or Electric fueled miles result in greater depreciation in a PHEV?

The author below assumes you are better off buying a Volt that has burned a lot of gas.

I would be inclined to believe the opposite, and would advise looking for a Volt with the lowest ratio of gas/electric miles.

In any case, the price paid seems to indicate resale values for PHEVs may be dismal with high miles, or long time use.

Wonder what a 2012 LEAF with ~100k miles would sell for-both with an EOL (~70% of new capacity) battery, and with a new replacement pack?

...Recently I came across an internet deal on a used MY2012 Chevy Volt with high mileage (97,000) for $14,000. The lifetime MPG was 35 which pretty much foretold a life of gasoline miles. Further investigation showed the battery SOC to average above 10kWh and often posting the GM general limit of 10.3kWh. I considered this a steal and acquired the Volt...

http://insideevs.com/perfect-storm-used-chevy-volts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Interesting question when purchasing a used Volt.

Do gas fueled miles or Electric fueled miles result in greater depreciation in a PHEV?

The author below assumes you are better off buying a Volt that has burned a lot of gas.

I would be inclined to believe the opposite, and would advise looking for a Volt with the lowest ratio of gas/electric miles.

http://insideevs.com/perfect-storm-used-chevy-volts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm right with you. This guy seems to think that a gasoline engine with 85,000 miles and a battery that's been sitting at 100% (or as close to it as possible) for 2+ years is a good deal. That's exactly what you don't want. Every part of that car has worn in about the worst way possible for it's entire life. And anyone who cares little enough for that car to never even plug it in probably never even bothered to change the oil or do any other basic maintenance.

If the gas engine has 85k miles, the battery has probably been sitting at 0% available SOC (or around 20-30% actual SOC, whatever the Volt stops discharging), so from a battery perspective, it's probably better than someone who drives 85k miles but plugs in at every opportunity.

Instead of reimbursing gas purchases fleet managers should pay a fuel allowance for miles driven. Then watch the government employees plug in and pocket the extra money.

drees said:
If the gas engine has 85k miles, the battery has probably been sitting at 0% available SOC (or around 20-30% actual SOC, whatever the Volt stops discharging), so from a battery perspective, it's probably better than someone who drives 85k miles but plugs in at every opportunity.
If someone drives a lot of short trips / electric miles then it is a good deal. 85K on a modern engine is not bad at all and after a few years their mileage on the ICE would average out. I only have like 10K on my ICE after 3.5 years. I thought fleet cars seems to get regular maintenance.
Around 22% actual SOC.
One seldom discussed difference between the 2014 and 2013 models is while still having the higher capacity battery, the 2014 uses ~4% more of that capacity (down to about 18% SOC before the onset of CS)for even more AER! -- WOT
via Jeff's post: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?114609-MY-2012-vs-2014-Differences&p=1575490#post1575490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an interesting new video of a guy dissecting a 2013 Volt battery pack he bought off a wrecked car. He's apparently planning to use it and possibly the Volt transmission in an EV conversion car project.

He doesn't fully know what he's got since he assumes the wrong battery chemistry and he thinks the transmission is a single-speed series hybrid. He's clearly unaware there is a service manual available.

That doesn't stop him from dissecting the battery pack with an electric screwdriver. It's a little scary watching him casually pulling apart a 350v battery with his bare hands. About 18 minutes into the battery video some "blood" is spilled but it's just some residual red coolant when he separates the submodules.

These were just posted 2 days ago and more videos are likely to be uploaded over time.

Battery
http://youtu.be/00tTckGUv7I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inverter and Transmission
http://youtu.be/xL2jxIKkLmE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2016 Chevy Volt ... sneak peak

General Motors has stayed mum on the specifications of the upcoming 2016 model, though it is expected that the electric-only range of 40 miles will see a boost -- that's been one of the issues cited by hybrid and electric car shoppers. It is expected that the 2016 Volt will use its own platform rather than that of the Chevrolet Cruze, as it does now. It is also rumored that it may be offered in two battery capacity variants, with a budget model priced to compete with the smaller pure-electric Nissan Leaf.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...er&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

2016-Chevrolet-Volt-Teaser.jpg

Existing below, the 2016 almost appears that it might have outboard tail lights (similar to the LEAF only lower) but hard to tell:

vback4.jpg

If the Volt gets the battery in the floor where it belongs, and a smaller engine to open up even more interior space, the next Leaf is going to have to be pretty damn awesome for me not to go with a Volt. That is a LOT of changes, though, for a model refresh. I'm not holding my breath.

pkulak said:
If the Volt gets the battery in the floor where it belongs, and a smaller engine to open up even more interior space, the next Leaf is going to have to be pretty damn awesome for me not to go with a Volt. That is a LOT of changes, though, for a model refresh. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm feeling the same way. But I have a hard time believing they will increase much beyond 40 miles of all electric range. Where I'm living right now, though, the Volt would make a better car for me than the LEAF.

What I would love to see:

50 mile range
More efficient genset
6kW charger
5-seater
Sub-$35,000 pricetag

If they can do this by mid-2015, I'll go straight to the Chevy dealership after I turn it in my LEAF.

With the potential improvements to the Volt coming a year before and the competition from the Tesla Model III coming a year later, Nissan is going to have to position themselves with a $30,000 car that can get 120 real world miles of range if they expect to survive.

I love seeing competition, but it's unfortunate it's taking so long for the plugin market to mature to the point where manufacturers feel the need to even compete.

kubel said:
pkulak said:

I'm feeling the same way. But I have a hard time believing they will increase much beyond 40 miles of all electric range. Where I'm living right now, though, the Volt would make a better car for me than the LEAF.

What I would love to see:

50 mile range
More efficient genset
6kW charger
5-seater
Sub-$35,000 pricetag

If they can do this by mid-2015, I'll go straight to the Chevy dealership after I turn it in my LEAF.

With the potential improvements to the Volt coming a year before and the competition from the Tesla Model III coming a year later, Nissan is going to have to position themselves with a $30,000 car that can get 120 real world miles of range if they expect to survive.

I love seeing competition, but it's unfortunate it's taking so long for the plugin market to mature to the point where manufacturers feel the need to even compete.
Its hard due to the cost of batteries. There's no chance GM a will do everything desired in the next gen. That's less likely than a reasonably priced LEAF with double the range.
I'm waiting for the Mitsubishi Outlander to come to the US. CUV with decent AER, 4 wheel drive for a reasonable price.
Meanwhile, despite all the talk, I see little competition for Nissan on the horizon. It seems fairly easy for them to come out with at least a 120 mile range car, maybe they'll do a 150 mile range car. If they do that for not much more than the current car, it's hard to imagine any one else competing. Everyone else is talk with compliance cars. Tesla has yet to even show the Model X much less anything concrete about the Model 3. I'm sure it will happen some day, but I wonder about the price, reliability, fire resistance. Teslas entire business model has always revolved around the Model 3. It is the core goal of the company so I'm sure they're putting superhuman effort into it.

Still waiting for the Outlander... and waiting, and waiting...

Purists hate the Volt, but boy having that engine sure simplifies life and makes the car more versatile. These improvements, if true, would make for an awesome package.

Makes me wonder though, what will they do with the ELR?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Still waiting for the Outlander... and waiting, and waiting...

Purists hate the Volt, but boy having that engine sure simplifies life and makes the car more versatile. These improvements, if true, would make for an awesome package.

Makes me wonder though, what will they do with the ELR?

For the ELR, I foresee one more production run early in 2015. Then a new model based on the new platform (D2XX) in 2016. Since the beginning, the ELR has been considered a limited production model with a short model life.

"Purists hate the Volt, but boy having that engine sure simplifies life and makes the car more versatile. These improvements, if true, would make for an awesome package."

Right, so if one wants a hybrid, then just buy a Prius and not a copy of one!

"A combination of spy photos and the image above released by Chevrolet reveal that the next Volt will have an integrated rear spoiler and an overall longer trunklid, in addittion to LED daytime running lights up front."

Significant changes like this will 'challenge' the Leaf, right?

pkulak said:
What would you buy ?
$35k : 45 mile, 5 seater Volt
$35k : 150 mile Leaf
$40k : 200 mile Model 3

No wonder GM says Volt is not a mass market car.

You need to qualify that choice evnow. Will that Leaf be down to 50 miles of range in three years? And will the model 3 include doors and a steering wheel at that price?

I think the next Volt will have seating for 5, they have to, there's been too much negative press. There will be consequences however, the Tee shaped battery has to go. My guess is there isn't enough room under the seats for a 16 KWH battery with thermal management. So either they reduce battery capacity, which will reduce size and cost, or they gobble up trunk space. I expect to see a $35k Volt with 30 mile range with a 50 or 60 mile battery sold as an option, but with reduced trunk space.

I don't see how the Volt can ever equal, or even get near to the Prius' fuel consumption as it carries around a much larger and heavier battery. But then the Volt is in my opinion, much more fun to drive since it is primarily electric driven while the Prius feels like, well, a traditional hybrid. I do think some improvement in the Volt's ICE are in order however to improve its less than stellar fuel consumption such as Direct Injection and operating on an Atkinson cycle. I just don't see a 1 liter three banger turbo as being viable as such an engine would be more expensive and it's intercooler and plumbing would require more space than a conventional small four. In addition the vibrations coming off a three cylinder are really bad and even with balance shafts the NVH would be worse that the existing four, this is not something you want in an electric car which is supposed to be smooth and quiet.

I do have to hand it to GM, the Volt while not perfect, has proven to be reliable and has delivered on the performance promises made over three years ago.

Back