Gen 1 GM Volt Plug-In Hybrid (2011-2015)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LKK said:
Physical size of the battery pack looks about the same so the speculation is the new Volt will still not have a 5th seat.
Does the current pack have that "notch" in it? That's how I was thinking they would get the 5th seating position, although from the graphic in the video the notch looks to be too small. The person sitting in the middle would need to have at most a size 6 shoe, and the padding on the seat would be pretty thin.

Nowwwwwww, if they put it into a CUV it would work fine :)

Recently on the official Facebook chat, GM said the 4 vs 5 seats has not been announced yet (waiting until full January reveal). The reduction in the pack height may allow a fifth seat. The notch is the same as in the current battery. The pack increase to 20kWh as some speculate should easily get 50 miles per charge.

Some details and pictures here:

Title: Next-Gen 2016 Chevy Volt – Official Voltec Details Released, Looks Like 50 Miles Of Range

http://insideevs.com/next-gen-2016-chevy-volt-official-voltec-details-released/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder if they used some of the tech from the spark motor. Thinking of wiring method mainly.
The GM-designed electric motors used in the second-generation Chevrolet Volt deliver more than 20 improvement in electric acceleration. GM engineers designed the motors to use less rare earth materials. One motor doesn’t use any rare-earth type magnets.
2016-volt-motor-750x428.jpg

Spark motor:

chevy-spark-motor.jpg

I think the move to a slightly larger 4-cyl. engine instead of a smaller 3 cylinder is a good idea, particularly if doing so was necessary to allow them to use regular gas (as the new engine apparently can). NVH matters at that price point, and as has been well documented small engines that have to work hard all the time tend to fall well short of their EPA mpg ratings in the real world.

redLEAF said:
More info and a teaser photo ... others are already posting comments; does look like the latest Acura; any Volt owners see it?

Seen a full sized buck as part of a focus group. It's a handsome car. Rear end is reminiscent of Tesla Model S (or any other sedan of that ilk - Jaguar, Big Benz, etc...). Front end, or at least it seems to me, is somewhat modern Camaro meets 90s Camaro.

Apparently the back seat is a bench now. If they also put the trunk floor down a bit (to do better than the currently terrible 10 feet^3), then there goes most of the reasons I got a Leaf instead of a Volt. It would be a strong consideration for my next car when my current lease is up.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I'm wondering if it will be a little bigger, maybe not quite such a low roof line... the current version is a bit claustrophobic.

Yeah. I really hope they drop the Lutz-inspired "let's make it look like a sports car" stuff. The front grill isn't making me optimistic about that, though.

Also that infotainment center in the current Volt looks horrible. I'm hoping they move to something more traditional.

Aside: Currently planning on getting a 2016 #NextGenVolt for my spouse. My 2011 will go to one of my kids. Another kid is buying a used Volt in the very near future (many off leases). Dad gets Model X if it all goes according to plan.

Title: 2016 Chevrolet Volt Regenerative Braking On Demand – Video
http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-volt-regenerative-braking-demand-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“With regenerative braking on demand, driving the all-new 2016 Volt puts the power in your hands. A steering wheel-mounted paddle that allows you to control your regenerative braking takes power that’s normally lost and puts it into the battery. That’s just one of the many unrivaled technology features in the Next Gen Volt.”

In this video you’ll see Mark Reuss, General Motors’ Executive VP of Global Product Development, Purchasing & Supply Chain and Andrew Farah, Vehicle Chief Engineer, Chevrolet Volt, demonstrate the new-for-2016 regenerative braking on demand feature found in the next-generation Chevrolet Volt.

Title: 2016 Chevrolet Volt Interior Partially Revealed
http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-volt-interior-partially-revealed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That interior looks really nice, even covered up like that. And paddles for regen is a great idea. My wife hate single-pedal driving, so I can leave it in D, but use the paddles. Still just hoping they found a way to open up just a _bit_ more trunk space, since it seems forgone at this point that it's a 5-seater (my only two issues with the current Volt, and why I got a Leaf instead).

I'm sure there will be a "premium" version for those who want that... I'm more and more seriously considering leasing the 2016 Volt as a replacement for the Leaf simply because the BEV world has not moved as fast or as far as I hoped it would be the end of my lease and I am tired of playing range roulette... Plus, it effectively gives me an additional vehicle...

mwalsh said:
It looks somewhat de-contented to me. I know that's part of the plan to make it cheaper, but I was hoping they'd make it cheaper without making it "cheaper"

"Not that there is anything wrong with that."

mwalsh said:
And my comments are more or less reinforced by the head of GM Global Design, who likened the front end to that of the new Corvette. Which also looks like a 90s Camaro to me! :lol:

mwalsh said:
It looks somewhat de-contented to me.

That's fine by me. I always thought that center console was ugly as sin, and making all that a one-off for a single car that didn't sell well probably cost a fortune. It seems futuristic just for the sake of looking futuristic: by most accounts it's not are very good setup.

http://i.imgur.com/NkbAx5e.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, if they wanna put the Cruise console in there, that's fine with me!

http://i.imgur.com/INTVZYX.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pkulak said:
I always thought that center console was ugly as sin

As Joseph had a coat of many colors, the Volt has a console of many buttons. OK, not buttons, touch sensitive areas, some of which I'm still not sure of after 15 months of ownership (mostly because I'm not the primary driver and it's not a real priority for me). I just this last week figured out the TP button was for setting the clock! I was genuinely ready for it spooling toilet paper from a concealed holder somewhere in the dash. :lol:

Title: 2016 Chevrolet Volt Video Discusses NVH, Driving Dynamics & More [range tease]
http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet-volt-video-discusses-nvh-driving-dynamics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paddles mentioned in the previous video (why the split?)
VMg48C9.png

Back