Ghosn says Leaf will get a new battery.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
first we are waiting for Jesus before we can expect an answer from Nissan and now there are two gods? What is going on here today?
Hopefully,
a more favorable battery longevity/cost/capacity ratio will be reached before the second advent ... or there'll be hell to pay!
:?

adric22 said:
EVDRIVER said:
http://ruthielewis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/HAMSTER-WHEEL.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do the hamsters generate electricity for the electric drive or are do they power the wheels directly?
kubel said:
People need to own and care for this car as if it's not a battery under the seats- it's a pack filled with a hundred hamsters on wheels powering the LEAF. If it gets too hot, they start to die off. If it gets too cold, they start to freeze. I'm willing to bet the tolerances for hamsters is probably similar to lithium ion. 100 and they start to croak. Under 50 and they start slowing down a bit as they get closer to hypothermia. Ford and GM did well providing a comfort zone for their hamsters. Nissan just doesn't give a ****. SAVE THE HAMSTERS, NISSAN! Those evil hamster slaving bastages.

I knew this when I got the car. I'm surprised Nissan didn't do more to explain this to their customers.

With that said, Nissan can't afford to have the LEAF go down in history as a flop. They will replace hamsters for people who suffer premature hamster degradation. I'm confident of this. Of course, if they don't, I (and hundreds of others) will never buy another Nissan again. I hear Ford makes a nice EV. ;)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Martytdi said:
I heard and hope to see 175% increase of the battery of the leaf 2013.
Talk of a 75% increase is being bandied about, which would be 175% of what it is now, which would be great. A 175% increase would be un-freakin-believable.

Nothing really confirmed though.
As you said, unbelievable. And i think that literally; no chance of it. No way Nissan can leapfrog its current battery making it cheaper (as Ghosn says) AND an increase in range that substantial. No way.
Not being talked about is that, if it is true for the 2013 (and I don't believe that it is), the 2011 and 2012s would then be essentially worthless. Thank God I leased!
Conjecture on the new battery aside, my lease buy-out after 24 months is $21k. IF the car has a fair market value then of, let's say, $16k, is there any chance Nissan would lower that amount for the buy-out? Because otherwise they are going to have to take the thing and sell lower anyway. I am not familiar with lease buy-outs to know if the amount is ever voluntarily lowered by the lender.

People really should not blame Nissan for keeping this close to the vest. Look at the fallout GM got on The Volt, a 40 mile range car for $30k? How did that pan out? Better to keep people guessing than commit to something that cannot be delivered.

Pretty good considering that the Volt is out selling the Leaf by about 4 to 1...

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
People really should not blame Nissan for keeping this close to the vest. Look at the fallout GM got on The Volt, a 40 mile range car for $30k? How did that pan out? Better to keep people guessing than commit to something that cannot be delivered.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Conjecture on the new battery aside, my lease buy-out after 24 months is $21k. IF the car has a fair market value then of, let's say, $16k, is there any chance Nissan would lower that amount for the buy-out? Because otherwise they are going to have to take the thing and sell lower anyway. I am not familiar with lease buy-outs to know if the amount is ever voluntarily lowered by the lender.
I'm new to leasing but from everything I've heard there is zero chance of that. Cars often come off lease with lower market values than their residuals, but the game plan is to put the certified pre-owned lipstick on them and get the dealers to bash in buyer's heads with them. I can only assume it doesn't always work out, but the leasing company won't be cutting any deals with the leasee.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the inner workings can confirm or refute this.

i think Nissan will do fine on a lease. they take the returned vehicle, clean it up, put in new battery pack (i am sure they can find one somewhere "on the cheap") then re-lease it. its a no lose situation for them not to mention the pack even if it has 30% degradation still has considerable value.

the disparity in #'s for car/battery (150,000/200,000) is making more and more sense. i see 50,000 cars a year but demand for 100,000 plus batteries.

TomT said:
Pretty good considering that the Volt is out selling the Leaf by about 4 to 1...

EatsShootsandLeafs said:

Yeah but aren't there is still a lot more leafs on the road?

Back