Got into an interesting predicament with Leafy today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillaWhat

I had to drive over and some items to Home Depot.

As I was driving out in Leafy, I realized some of the things I needed were in the other car.
I pulled up next to the other car, Left the Leaf “running”, and got out and unlocked the other car.

Had to root around to find all the stuff, hopped back in Leafy, and drove to Depot.
Got out, and the Leaf wouldn’t lock.

It wouldn’t lock… because I left the keys back in the other car. :oops:
Now the Leaf was off, and wasn’t going anywhere until I got a FOB .
Phone calls and borrowed rides, and all is well, but …….

So, what learned today, is that if you get the car into RUN mode, it no longer needs to see the fob to operate.

I guess that makes sense, but a “no fob located” message when I went to put it in drive would have been handy.

Can't believe the engineers didn't set up a message when the car no longer detects the FOB.

Get a message all of the time in the Prius when the person with the FOB gets out to get the mail or open the door.

I drove my wife to a show once, and after she left the car I noticed a "Key not detected" message. The FOB was in her purse. I went home, and made sure I did not turn off the car on the way.

But she never heard the car beeping or seen the message. The message cleared after I started driving. A continuous message or a flashing warning light would be good.

LakeLeaf said:
Can't believe the engineers didn't set up a message when the car no longer detects the FOB.

Get a message all of the time in the Prius when the person with the FOB gets out to get the mail or open the door.

You get the same message with the LEAF. Plus the car beeps at you when you leave the fob in the car and close the door with the car running. Then I remember it barks at you in some fashion (but won't obey) if you try to lock the door with the fob still inside the car. But nothing to stop you from driving off with the fob at home.

That's one of the reasons I like that I use the front door to leave the house, rather than the garage door; and have a front door key on the LEAF's fob - if I'm locking the front door with my key, I must have the fob on my person. Just have to keep from being distracted by shiny objects between the front door and the car!

same happened to a friend of mine with his car and when i got the LEAF he told me the story and that's why I have separate key chains for each car and my house. The Leaf FOB never leaves my pants pocket. I have a keychain for my house and I carry the 2nd fob in my computer bag for the parking attendant.

Lasareath said:
The Leaf FOB never leaves my pants pocket.
My reaction exactly. My key fob is not on my key chain. The only time it leaves my pants pocket is when I change pants or loan the car to a family member (or the rare event when the car goes in for service). I always lock and unlock the car doors using the button on the door.

Ray

LEAF has saved me several times from locking the key in the car... That's good, I'd say...

Back