Gulf Oil Spill Worse Than Initially Reported

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mwalsh said:
So the new cap has failed because there isn't a good fit on the jagged edge of the shear-cut riser pipe.

Am I the only one who thinks that, now a majority of the riser pipe is gone, they would have success with cutting off just a couple more inches with the saw to get a better seal on that new cap? Because I'm guessing that the saw only jammed because of the weight of the pipe on the cut. Remove the cap, go back in with the saw, and bring the cap back over the cleaner cut.

Yes, lot of people are wondering about that.

multiple video feeds -> http://www.deepwaterbp.com/

mwalsh said:
So the new cap has failed because there isn't a good fit on the jagged edge of the shear-cut riser pipe.

Am I the only one who thinks that, now a majority of the riser pipe is gone, they would have success with cutting off just a couple more inches with the saw to get a better seal on that new cap? Because I'm guessing that the saw only jammed because of the weight of the pipe on the cut. Remove the cap, go back in with the saw, and bring the cap back over the cleaner cut.

Gee - didn't see THAT coming! :roll:

I absolutely cannot understand why BP didn't take a bit of time with the circular saws and cut that huge jagged chunk off the riser pipe after CRAW finished its cut.

Do these people really want us to think that they're still using the 'best and brightest' from the industry to do this? :shock: :evil:

AndyH said:
Do these people really want us to think that they're still using the 'best and brightest' from the industry to do this? :shock: :evil:

Well I work with actual "rocket scientists". PhDs up the ying-yang. Wanna go to Mars and back....these are your guys. However, common sense.....not so much. I expect the same holds true in many engineering disciplines.

AndyH said:

Apparently they do - the question is who is calling the shots - engineers or managers ?

At this point, I'm resigned to having the oil spill untill releif wells are done. Anything in the meantime is a bonus ...

mwalsh said:
Well I work with actual "rocket scientists". PhDs up the ying-yang. Wanna go to Mars and back....these are your guys. However, common sense.....not so much. I expect the same holds true in many engineering disciplines.

I think you hit it - that was my experience from USAF times as well. "...Thanks for explaining how that hacker could have gotten into this system, sir. Do you think the keyboard will work better when we dump the 1/2 cup of coffee out of it?..."

This just in...from 1949:

moreandmore.jpg

Sigh...
Andy

Yes, except there is such a large "oilcano" right above it, they can't get a visual with the ROVs to reposition "SAW" (that's actualy what it said on the diamond wire cutter), plus "SAW" may actually be damaged, sure they might be able to fix/repair it or get anothe one

With PVC plumbing they always tell you to cut the pipe square. Anyone will tell you though you can be a little off and it doesn't matter because the seal is formed along the surface of the pipe wall and the fitting, not the end of the pipe. (Of course you can't be waaay off and cut the pipe on a 45 degree angle or you would not have enough contact surface all the way around the pipe).

I get the impression this cap is not like a pipe cap that makes a tight fit *around* the pipe. ie no O-rings or anything.

Take a memo... future deep water oil production should be done with PVC pipe... it's much easier to work with.

mitch672 said:
Yes, except there is such a large "oilcano" right above it, they can't get a visual with the ROVs to reposition "SAW" (that's actualy what it said on the diamond wire cutter), plus "SAW" may actually be damaged, sure they might be able to fix/repair it or get anothe one

Are you talking about with the cap in place though? Once the cap is removed, this "oilcano" will go straight up from severed pipe and shouldn't interfere with lateral viewing until SAW starts to get through the pipe on the side where cutting is taking place.

mwalsh said:
mitch672 said:

Are you talking about with the cap in place though? Once the cap is removed, this "oilcano" will go straight up from severed pipe and shouldn't interfere with lateral viewing until SAW starts to get through the pipe on the side where cutting is taking place.

You can watch the actual feeds... The "CUT" that failed (cut about 1/3 into the 21" casing) was only about 6"-8" above the flange of the LMRP. The actual "bent" piper is only about 3' or 4' (or even less) above this. Oil is jetting out at high pressure from the 1/3 slit the CUT made, and even if the cap is removed, the entire area is obscured with a massive amount of oil. They are injecting dispersants with an ROV and a "wand" right at this spot, where the oil is now escaping from the cap vents (that have yet to be closed fully)

and, as far as using "PVC" pipe, you must be kidding. The Well casing is 21" in diameter, with a 1" hardended steel walls. Up to 10,000 PSI has to be handled... there is no PVC pipe that can withstand those pressures. even with steel, they had to go to a pipe with 1" thick walls.

If you have "VLC" media player, here is the stream for the oilcano..
http://mfile.akamai.com/97892/live/reflector:21145.asx

mitch672 said:
You can watch the actual feeds... The "CUT" that failed (cut about 1/3 into the 21" casing) was only about 6"-8" above the flange of the LMRP. The actual "bent" piper is only about 3' or 4' (or even less) above this. Oil is jetting out at high pressure from the 1/3 slit the CUT made

Wait a minute, are you telling me that these guys had at least 36" of straight material to work with (edit: or did you type feet when you meant inches?) and they chose to cut less than 10" above the flange? If that's the case....what freakin' maroons!

I guess I need to take a look at the video feed. Haven't really felt the compulsion to do so thus far...too depressing.

P.S. I'm pretty sure he was kidding about the PVC pipe. ;)

It is probably only about 36" or so, but I would hardly call it "straight", it was massivly crimped and deformed when the 5000' of pipe above it came crashing down to the ocean floor when the "deepwater horizon" rig caught fire and sank

Captured from the video feeds... (cue Benny Hill music...)

DSAW.jpg

cleancut.jpg

cleancut2.jpg

readytocap.jpg

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein

BP hives off 'toxic' Gulf spill operation to dilute anti-British feeling in US

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/04/deepwater-horizon-leak-bp-criticism

Responsibility for the leaking well and the clean-up strategy will placed in the hands of Bob Dudley, one of the company's most able directors.

Dudley, a US citizen, has been looking for a suitable role in the company since he was thrown out of Moscow in a battle with the Russian shareholders of the TNK-BP joint venture in the middle of 2008.

And if "I want my life back" wasn't enough ...

In the face of such criticism, Hayward insisted that he had a "thick jacket", adding: "They've thrown some words at me, but I'm a Brit. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

BP actually has two leaks they need to get stopped... the oil gushing out of the well and the poorly chosen phrases/bad PR gushing out of their mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back