Hardware Upgrades

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gossett

I know here has been some discussion on getting software upgrades and even an upgrade to B-mode for older Leafs. I think Nissan should be providing an upgrade path for some of the hardware improvements.

More specifically, I don't think it would be too difficult to re-engineer a replacement for the rear-mounted charger to be a 6.6 KwH charger instead of the original 3.3 KwH. Also (a big deal in Minnesota), a version of the heat-pump model of the heater to replace the anemic heater that came with the 2012 Leaf.

Nissan is producing a high-tech car but still thinking like a traditional auto manufacturer. The notion of upgradeable products seems to have escaped them. At present the official line is "this will never happen". But if enough Leaf owners chime in and convince them that there is a market for upgrades, they might actually have an epiphany and modify their business model in a manner that would benefit their consumers.

For a variety of reasons, it will never happen!

gossett said:
I know here has been some discussion on getting software upgrades and even an upgrade to B-mode for older Leafs. I think Nissan should be providing an upgrade path for some of the hardware improvements.

TomT said:
For a variety of reasons, it will never happen!

gossett said:
Concur - not going to happen.

Trading in your car is the upgrade procedure. That doesn't mean that in 12 years the aftermarket replacement parts won't be there, but with so few of these sold the demand won't be there for anyone to even make parts for these cars.

gossett said:
More specifically, I don't think it would be too difficult to re-engineer a replacement for the rear-mounted charger to be a 6.6 KwH charger instead of the original 3.3 KwH.
Just what are you suggesting?
  • Upgrade to the one that is on the 2013 and is in the front integrated with a new motor and inverter, and depends on an entirely different layout under the hood? You think that wouldn't be difficult?
  • Try to cram one with nearly twice the capacity into that cramped space behind the seat, and make it a one-off that is not used on any other car and never will be? Can you come up with a financial model for that? Oh, and don't forget, you have to rewire the car, because the existing cables are not hefty enough for 6.6kW.

[By the way, you are using the wrong unit of measurement. Batteries are rated by how much they hold. Chargers are rated by how fast they work. kWh is a capacity measurement. kW is a rate measurement. Kilowatts times hours = kilowatt hours. Duh!]

Ray

Back