Has anyone LEAF'ed over the Grapevine?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy3

If so, would you give us a drive report, please?

I'm thinking of doing a trip from Fresno to LA and the Grapevine is the big question in my plans.

Thanks!

Nope, but I just did a round trip from Van Nuys to Newcombs Ranch on Angeles Crest Hwy (94 miles). Interesting drive :cool:

I'm going to make the trip from Fresno to Santa Monica for the 10/16/11 EV parade. Anyone have experience driving or charging along the Grapevine?

Isn't it 220 miles from Fresno to Santa Monica one way? With the lack of Chademo between the two locations, how much time were you thinking of spending if you intend to drive your Leaf for this trip?

Lots of time :D

I'm planning on charging at an RV park in Pixley, then again at Nissan of Bakersfield. Then, either along the Grapevine or at Nissan of Valencia. This will be either one very long day or stop for the night along the way.

The LEAF wasn't designed for this type of driving, but I've done a few long trips. As long as I plan ahead for charging they do work.

Randy3 said:
Lots of time :D

I'm planning on charging at an RV park in Pixley, then again at Nissan of Bakersfield. Then, either along the Grapevine or at Nissan of Valencia. This will be either one very long day or stop for the night along the way.

The LEAF wasn't designed for this type of driving, but I've done a few long trips. As long as I plan ahead for charging they do work.

Your car has a QC, and clearly WAS designed for this type of driving.

Unfortunately, With no DC chargers on your route, California is not ready for your car.

I drove my LEAF over 245 miles home, from The San Francisco Bay Area to Shasta County, the day after I picked it up in May.

No drama. The only requirements are locating L2s, and patience....

One thing about going up the grapevine you will probably find a slow truck to ride behind. That way you can probably keep your speed in the 35-50mph zone.

Randy3 said:

It's about 65 miles from your charge point in Bakersfield over the top of Tejon Pass (over 4000 feet elevation) to Nissan Valencia. I do not predict a happy outcome on this leg of your trip.

I suggest finding anything at the Wheeler Ridge Road area at the bottom of the Grapevine, before making the climb. Once you get to the top of the Tejon Pass, you won't need much of a charge in Valencia to complete the trip.

http://g.co/maps/29axp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAFtripFresno2SantaMonica.jpg

The red vertical lines on the above chart indicate the following points along your route:

Code:
A. Fresno (no red line, starting point at 0 miles)

63.5 miles (63.5 miles overall)

B. Pixley 

50 miles (113.5 miles overall)

C. Nissan of Bakersfield, 2800 Pacheco Road, Bakersfield

24.8 miles (138.3miles overall)

D. Wheeler Ridge Rd, Tehachapi (bottom of the Grapevine)

15 miles (153.8 miles overall)

E. Tejon Pass Summit

25.4 miles (179.2 miles overall)

F. Nissan of Valencia

42.8 miles (221 miles overall)

G. Santa Monica

Thanks, TonyWilliams. Your graph is excellent. I'll look closer at Wheeler Ridge Road.

As far as my comment about the LEAF not being designed for this type of driving, maybe I've been too influenced by the people I meet at the RV parks where I've charged. After showing off my LEAF, the most common thing I hear is that the car is that it's great, but it's not "_for_me."

Like most of us, I spent the additional $700 for the QC port. But in the San Joaquin valley, I can't even find one L2 station that isn't at a dealer. A few well-placed QC ports would make my trip to Santa Monica a breeze.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this and appreciate the help and advice!

Yes. LEAFs are L3 capable and we need to take the fight to those holding everything up. I am actually getting far less interested and concerned with L2. In a funny way, I think so has Nissan. CHAdeMO capability is THE competitive edge against the PHEV because they can't use it. It's time to capitalize on this huge advantage. Nissan seems to be gearing up for a huge L3 push which I think is genius and fully support. With competing interests stalling L2 they have accidentally paved the way for the new low cost CHAdeMo units. Alot of L2 is great but L3 is the real front line for EV's.

Take a look at the 10/11/2010 comments regarding Lake Buena Vista Aquatic Recreation Area at this link: http://www.evchargermaps.com/?SiteID=93210_1&Want=SPI%20LPI%20AVC%20OC&Zoom=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It might help. :)

I've gone the opposite way, from Exeter through Fresno, to Santa Cruz. First I topped off at Fresno. Then recharged at the KOA in Los Banos. That was sufficient to make it over Pacheco Pass and all the way down into Santa Cruz.

It's possible to make the trip to Santa Monica, but it will be a challenge. The stretch southbound from Bakersfield to Tejon Pass is your biggest concern for the trip. Getting a full charge at Bakersfield Nissan will just barely get you over the pass if you go slow enough. Which may not be safely possible along that stretch of freeway, until you start the climb. Definitely, try to arrange a L2 charging spot to top-up closer to the base of the climb. As tempting as it is to zoom up the Grapevine, you should stay in the truck lane. Once you get to the top, you can regen down the other side and should make it most of the way to Santa Monica. Even if you almost run out at the top, you can get enough energy back from regen down the other side to make it to a charging station. The key to completing the trip without spending all your time charging is of course to go as slow as you can, and maybe draft some trucks if you can do it safely.

As an alternative to Pixley, you could charge at Visalia Nissan. If you need any additional adapter cords, drop by Exeter on the way down and I'll give you whatever you need.

HTH

I'm not saying that you can't make it from Bakersfield to Valencia... You absolutely can. I just did a very similar leg of your trip from about 400 feet elevation to 4200 feet, over 41 miles (which is what you'll have at Tejon Pass).

Very, very similar, except you may have significantly more heat, and you're on a freeway, so you'll want to drive way faster than my 40-45 mph. I crested that summit with 3 solid fuel bars. You will probably have less, but there is NO REASON why you can't coast in Neutral (not regen) almost all the way to Valencia.

You might be able to drive 55 mph for the first 25 miles to the base o the Grapevine, then really slow up the hill, like 25-30mph. If you cross the pass "on fumes", coast every down hill, using regen to keep your speed below 60mph, and crawl up the remaining small uphill parts at 25-30.

You'll know what you need to when you cross the pass. Make sure you have 100% in BFL. Pixley would only need enough charge (5 minutes per mile on L2) to get to Nissan in BFL.

Valencia, you'll be in control, so either just enough to get to SMO, or more, but not over 80% for regen on the remaining downhill.

Tony

Well, for the first time, I've had an RV park say, "No, we don't want your EV business here." And that was just after a Wheeler Ridge motel (Best Western) also said no to me...

The RV park manager at the Pixley RV Park (just off highway 99) gave no reason, but after calling the park owner for approval, she came back and said they don't want our business.

The manager at the Wheeler Ridge Best Western motel said no because she sees a lawsuit if some other guest messes with the car or trips over the cable.

This is strange. Up until today, I've had positive experiences with everyone I've approached for charging help. Now I've got two businesses saying no on the same day.

I'm still planning on getting to Santa Monica by 10/16/11 for the National Plug-In event, but planning this is getting more complicated.

Randy3 said:
Well, for the first time, I've had an RV park say, "No, we don't want your EV business here." And that was just after a Wheeler Ridge motel (Best Western) also said no to me...

The RV park manager at the Pixley RV Park (just off highway 99) gave no reason, but after calling the park owner for approval, she came back and said they don't want our business.

The manager at the Wheeler Ridge Best Western motel said no because she sees a lawsuit if some other guest messes with the car or trips over the cable.

This is strange. Up until today, I've had positive experiences with everyone I've approached for charging help. Now I've got two businesses saying no on the same day.

I'm still planning on getting to Santa Monica by 10/16/11 for the National Plug-In event, but planning this is getting more complicated.

That's a shame. Really, I hope this isn't a trend.

However, like I said you can stop at Visalia Nissan to charge and avoid the RV parks. You can reach Bakersfield from Visalia on one charge. I know, because I bought my Leaf from Bakersfield Nissan and drove it home - and Visalia Nissan is less than 9 miles farther distance.

Sounds good, Nissan of Visailia to Nissan of Bakersfield it is.

Now I need to find a charging location in Lebec or Wheeler Ridge area to get over the hill.

Have you looked at the coast route, going to Paso Robles and then down would eliminate the need to go so slow on the uphill -I do steep driving and over 35 MPH eats 40KW or more, and I would not want to go up the grapevine at less than 40. You will need about 15 minutes of that to get to the top, and that will eat half your battery.

It is 130 miles to Paso Robles from Fresno, so look into it. A short charge in Cholame, or even a really light foot might make that possible. I would think you could find more willing places to charge from there on, as well as lower speeds to allow you to go farther.

Looking forward to seeing you at the parade!

Failing all this the option to hold your own event in the Fresno area should also be considered. While the SMonica event should be spectacular, PIA has shown off EV's for years at small events, and that is why you have a LEaf today. Grass root revolutions start at home, not at the beach.

You likely have already read about the range meter and how it will not help much. I have seen as little as 19 miles remaing while I still have 5 bars to work with, so watch the bars and the amount of energy you are using and don't fear the GOM if you know the road ahead of you. Testing the route and honing your elevation driving before hand would be wise.

If you're willing to deal with level 1 charging to get you "over the hump", there are a number of businesses at the foot of the Grapevine (I think it's technically either Lebec or Grapevine) including some eateries and this motel:

Ramada Limited
9000 Country Side Ct
Lebec, CA 93243
(661) 248-1530

Perhaps you can get someone to allow you a few hours of L1 charging. Once you get over the top, you should be able to get to Nissan of Valencia or Nissan of Mission Hills for some Level 2 juice.

Good luck and be sure to report for us...I'd like to do the trip in the opposite direction one day (SF Valley to Wind Wolves Preserve)...

Back