Hi Everyone!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
For Dealers to Consider:

A near-empty LEAF comes in for service, and the owner needs at least an 80% charge to get "back home".

Will the dealership want to spend 6 or 7 hours L2-charging that LEAF, too long for the customer to wait?
That might involve driving the customer home and bringing him back "the next day"?

A Level 3 charge-station could do the charging in 30 minutes ...

but wait, what if it is a model SV (without L3 charging capability)?

An understandable scanario, Gary, but if I bring my ICE in on E, do I expect the dealer to fill 'er up while they're doing my service? Nope. Lvl3 charging is great, but at 30K for the dealers cost (so I've read), exactly how far do we expect them to go during servicing? Are they to wash and wax the car as well? :lol:

If I bring my Leaf in at 20% charge, I expect to leave with at LEAST that. Anything over is bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

If one leaves home "full", and uses 80% just to get to the somewhat-distant dealer, what are the options with a LEAF?

And, with a headwind going home, one might need to leave the dealer with 100%, just to get back home.

garygid said:
If one leaves home "full", and uses 80% just to get to the somewhat-distant dealer, what are the options with a LEAF?

And, with a headwind going home, one might need to leave the dealer with 100%, just to get back home.

I don't think that too many Leafs will wind up in the hands of someone who cannot get to the dealer on 1 charge. I also think that there will be SOMEWHERE along the route an intermediate charging station (or two or three) where you could get some juice to make it home.

Don't get me wrong, Gary, I think the dealers will charge the car while they're working on it. And as such, you'll leave with more juice than you came with. Will it be a 100% tank? Who knows?

I'm not counting on my Leaf needing much servicing anyway.... :mrgreen:

I agree that most people in "city" type areas will choose a "service" dealer that is sufficiently close ... so that a full charge will get you there, and easily back.

However, there will be some owners that are just too far from the dealer to make the round trip.

Dealers with L3 charging offered with service (like a "free" car wash) are likely to get more service business.

Hopefully, those dealers with "questionable" service departments will get noted on this forum, and get very little business.

Jimmydreams said:
... I think the dealers will charge the car while they're working on it. And as such, you'll leave with more juice than you came with. Will it be a 100% tank? Who knows?
I'm not a Nissan Tech ... and so I could easily be wrong. But I have a strong suspicion that the car can not be charged while being worked on. The charge time will need to happen before or after (in addition) to the service time frame.

( What service ??? :x )

I do know this ... cars that are serviced at Tesla facilities are a] not being charged unless the "service" is cosmetic in nature (and without being on a lift); b] routinely charged at level 2 up to 70A per what the customer requests or needs, and at no cost.

I have also heard from one Nissan dealer that they will have at least Level 2 in the service area, plus customer accessible Level 2 with multiple "heads" in the parking area. While prepping the install they will be wiring for Level 3, but L3 install has not yet been committed to.

Nissan has stated that in Japan, every Nissan dealer (2200) will receive a Level 2 station. In addition, about 200 will receive a Level 3 charger.

My thinking is that LEAF certified dealers in the US will be required to install a Level 2 station. Some may choose to offer Level 3. Nissan may incentivize some dealerships to provide Level 3 service.

The EV Project is committed to installing over 1,000 public Level 2 stations in San Diego, with 310 Level 3 chargers divided among the 5 rollout markets. This would put somewhere around 60 spread around the greater San Diego area. Each of the 5 rollout markets will recieve about 60 Level 3 chargers. This does not take into account the ChargePoint America equipment to be installed. This is a smaller, though still significant, infrastructure addition.

Pacific Nissan Brian: Are you getting a Leaf too? Will be able to get to the ramp up meeting on August 4th by SDG&E? Maybe see you there. bpeachy

Hi, I am Tracy . I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

LEAFfan said:
amandak695 said:
Hi guys, I'm a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Hi Amanda, welcome to the forum. :) Where are you from and have you placed an order yet?

I'm going to take a wild guess that amandak695 is related to tracyk859, and they're both from moviesonlinefree / telepisodes.

Get out your Google and see a whole lot of similar content-free generic posts elsewhere.

Hi, I'm Cinthy from Jefferson City, Mo.

I've not reserved, but hope to be in the second wave. I've already been to the local Nissan dealer and they seem excited about getting the Leaf eventually. They even showed me plans of where the charging stations will be located.

I'm following all posts closely and am excited for Dec. 11 and hope that gets the work out. Everytime I mention I plan on getting a LEAF I get stares. Maybe I'll be the first in town with a new LEAF.

I'm also installing PV, just need to get the finances lined up.

I hadn't seen this thread before...

I put down my deposit on the first day, got the AV assessment done (now waiting for my cash and carry unit to come due to the high AV installation quote), got the order placed in late September (Silver SL with quick charge port), and am impatiently waiting for a delivery date. I guess 4 to 7 months means late January to late April...

I put in solar a few years back and was on the Aptera list for close to 3 years before canceling recently.

Sorry - a little off topic to the "Hi Everyone" OP -

Dav said:
I'm afraid I agree with Jimmydreams.

That is your problem, not theirs. Sorry.

Whether it's "your problem" or "their problem", for quite a few people it is still going to be a problem.

For many, if the dealer isn't able to charge the Leaf back to near capacity, then the only option the owner has is to tow/flatbed it back home. So while that may be "the owner's problem", for many it will be a big enough problem for them to seriously reconsider whether or not the Leaf is going to work out for them. Without the dealer able to provide charging, there may be no point in getting a car. Further - to the point I think that Gary is trying to make - even if the dealer can charge the car, but it means that the car has to stay overnight at the dealer - that could even be an issue for some people. I think this is an easier issue to work through, as even today with an ICE there are situations that require you to leave your car overnight - and in response to this people will take two cars to the dealer to drop off the one for servicing, or the dealer will provide a loaner car overnight. Certainly with an L3 at the dealer and a QC on the car, the issue pretty much vanishes.

We keep hearing that the cost of the L3 is just too high - but I haven't seen any real discussion of why the cost is that high. I suspect that a fair amount of it is that the few L3 manufactures out there are targeting "commercial" sites, not "home" sites. If the L3 was built to the same standards and quality that the AV unit is that people are installing at home and dealers are installing for customers to use - would the cost really be all that high? Maybe there is an opportunity for one of the EVSE manufactures to develop a reasonably priced L3 unit. It's not going to cost $800, but does it really have to cost $30k?

A mini-QC, running off 50-amp 240v, would be roughly a 12 kW (2-hour) charge. If available for around $5000 or $6000, would it be worth it to very many users? I suspect not many.

Charging for no more than 2 hours at a time and having a built-in duty-cycle limit for home use might not be classed as a "continuous" load, thus requiring only a 50-amp breaker at home?

Otherwise, a 60-amp breaker could provide 48 amps continuous.
Getting enough power from a home service is a problem.

LakeLeaf said:
Maybe there is an opportunity for one of the EVSE manufactures to develop a reasonably priced L3 unit. It's not going to cost $800, but does it really have to cost $30k?
Way off topic now, but a fellow named Angus Clark was in my group at the SD Leaf Tour event, and his company, Evoasis, is having their L3 chargers built in China for ~$6K ea. he told me, so they don't have to be that expensive. Check out their website: http://www.evoasis.com/about-us/. From what he told me, their business model involves creating a CA coastal network of 100 EV charging stations that will work on a "membership" basis (without government subsidy like Ecotality) and supply L3 recharges @ $.09/kwh while offering a pleasant, upscale "lounge/internet cafe/convenience store" experience while you wait. Maybe importing and selling the L3 chargers at a small markup should be added to his company's plan if competitors are charging $30K!

TT

Back