High Temperature Issues?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My garage was getting 115 in ambient 110. It's seperate, so didn't have nearly the requirements home construction had. When I bought it, it was basically just frame, siding, roof, and garage door. No insulation, no walls, open attic rafters, no vents, etc. (and yet the old owners bought an insulated garage door - go figure).

I'm finishing up my update this weekend - full perforated soffits for bottom venting, dual 1000cfm solar exhaust fans near the top of the roof (one one each end), full atticfoil radiant barrier on the underside of the upper rafters, drywall walls and ceilings, r19 batts in all walls, and r49 blow-in insulation in the attic. I acutally just finished going through the entire structure ensuring a full solid seal at every window (only two), door (one), and all around the garage door. Next up, I've got a portable 12,000btu a/c+heat pump I'm going to set to maintain <90 summer, >40 winter. I figure that'll have it better insulated than most houses, so the system shouldn't have to work very hard at all to maintain those temps.

Herm said:
LEAFfan said:
Herm said:
You could also screen the air intake so that critters dont get in.
I was talking about the small garage door opening...that can't be screened.
You can make a hole anywhere and then screen it. On a door would be easiest.. screen it with steel mesh on one side for security and insect screen on the other for insects.

I think you misunderstood. You may be talking about an actual 'door' leading in and out of the garage to the outside. I'm talking about an actual 'garage door' that operates with the garage door opener. So as I said earlier, that's not possible or practical to screen it.

LEAFfan said:
I think you misunderstood. You may be talking about an actual 'door' leading in and out of the garage to the outside. I'm talking about an actual 'garage door' that operates with the garage door opener. So as I said earlier, that's not possible or practical to screen it.
I guess it depends on the kind of door and how determined you are.

Perfectly doable:
draft_lens13900451module123479061photo_1286062660canopy_garage_door.png

Doable but opening is limited in size:
draft_lens13900451module123479071photo_1286061967sectional_garage_door.png

Not doable without extreme modifications:
draft_lens13900451module123479081photo_1286062007roll_up_garage_door.png

Although I would recommend a drainable louver instead of just a screen and bars. A louver will keep rain out and also provide some privacy.
=Smidge=

My garage door is like the middle kind.. the lowest panel has metal louvers, and screened on the inside with metal screen. I have seen replacement louvers in hardware stores, they do get dinged up after a few years. Similar to these but heavier duty metal:

31b5uH-J0LL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/American-Metal-Products-Stamped-Face-Return/dp/B0002YTOPQ

a better source for these vents:

http://www.google.com/search?q=8x16+aluminum+soffit+vent&hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&hs=grF&rls=en&channel=suggest&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=LSgiTsboCerq0gHfuNWqAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBAQ_AUoAQ

Back