Home Depot $600 30A charger now back in stock for $799

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm... An actual recall. I'm gonna have to eat my words. hope the home depot brings it back soon. I'll sit it out for now on 110v. Thanks for the info! Now i'm wondering what exactly was wrong with the affected by the recall units.

BestPal said:
jimmyz80 said:
Not me... I'd much rather have 30A available than 20A.
That is exactly the point of my original post. I didn't get the charger option on my 2013 to underutilize it with evseupgrade. My car tells me it likes 30 amps - I'll give her 30 amps :D
I am considering trading my 2011 LEAF for a 2013 with a 6kW charger. But if I do I will continue to use my 12A EVSE upgrade. That's right, the original 12A, not the version 2 16A or the newly available 20A.

So why in the world would I want a 6kW charger? Because it will be about twice as fast if I have to charge on the road!

For me, at least, my current charging rate is just fine at home. My car is always fully charged when I get up in the morning. I never need to extend charging beyond the lowest TOU rates I have. My new car will charge just as fast on my old 12A EVSE as my old car did, and I won't be driving any more miles on the new one than I did on the old one. At home, my new car can take 12 amps and lump it. :D

Ray

Back in my day we only had L1. AND WE LIKED IT!
grumpyoldman.jpg

:lol:

As part of our ongoing quality test and monitoring process, Schneider Electric has recently discovered an out of tolerance test result in one vendor's plug/cord-set assembly we used within our EVlink charging stations that occurred on or between December 6th 2012 and March 17th 2013. This isolated plug/cord-set quality issue may affect the charging capability/performance of the EV Charging Station, and under certain conditions the charger plug within the cord set assembly may overheat. Should the plug overheat, the charger plug, and vehicle inlet plug may be damaged, which can lead to a potential for Serious Personal Injury, or Property Damage. We are moving swiftly to execute an extract-and-replace plug/cord-set to 578 total affected units.

A link will be provided shortly with detailed information, in the meantime please check the first 5 digits of your serial number to see if they fall on or within the affected range 12494 to 13117.

Effective immediately, Schneider Electric is offering free replacement of the affected plug/cord-set and service for all affected EVlink charging stations. Schneider Electric greatly appreciates our customers’ business and apologizes for the inconvenience caused by these issues. For more information, contact our services team at 877-283-7647, 24 hours a day/7 days a week or email. [email protected].

cgaydos said:
Thanks for the information, Warren. Are you really a LEAF owner as well as an EVLink engineer?

I really am a LEAF owner (just about to hit 12k miles). I am also an engineer at Schneider Electric, although I work on other products, not the EVlink. I volunteer some of my time here (since I regularly frequent here due to my LEAF ownership) and regularly communicate with the EVlink team for updates and such.

Is that why EVlinks are backordered? Available supply of that component are going to replace defective ones, leaving a shortage for new production?

The EVlink indoor charging station is unfortunately not available at this time but it will be available soon.

You can contact us at 877-283-7647 or [email protected] for more details on when the EVlink charging station will be available.

I will update with more information as it becomes available.

WarrenSE said:
cgaydos said:
Thanks for the information, Warren. Are you really a LEAF owner as well as an EVLink engineer?

I really am a LEAF owner (just about to hit 12k miles). I am also an engineer at Schneider Electric, although I work on other products, not the EVlink. I volunteer some of my time here (since I regularly frequent here due to my LEAF ownership) and regularly communicate with the EVlink team for updates and such.

Thanks for the posts - your communication is very helpful.

WarrenSE said:
As part of our ongoing quality test and monitoring process, Schneider Electric has recently discovered an out of tolerance test result in one vendor's plug/cord-set assembly we used within our EVlink charging stations that occurred on or between December 6th 2012 and March 17th 2013. This isolated plug/cord-set quality issue may affect the charging capability/performance of the EV Charging Station, and under certain conditions the charger plug within the cord set assembly may overheat. Should the plug overheat, the charger plug, and vehicle inlet plug may be damaged, which can lead to a potential for Serious Personal Injury, or Property Damage. We are moving swiftly to execute an extract-and-replace plug/cord-set to 578 total affected units.

A link will be provided shortly with detailed information, in the meantime please check the first 5 digits of your serial number to see if they fall on or within the affected range 12494 to 13117.

Effective immediately, Schneider Electric is offering free replacement of the affected plug/cord-set and service for all affected EVlink charging stations. Schneider Electric greatly appreciates our customers’ business and apologizes for the inconvenience caused by these issues. For more information, contact our services team at 877-283-7647, 24 hours a day/7 days a week or email. [email protected].

An update to the above:

Here are links to the official documents:
EVlink Documents and Downloads

And the customer letter about the EVlink plug/cord-set issue (PDF format):
EV-Customer-Letter-EV-Cord-Set.pdf

If anymore information becomes available I will post an update.

Yesterday I called Schneider Electric directly and inquired about this specific Indoor charging station. The representative on the other end assured me that the units are currently available and gave me two phone numbers for dealers in my area: Grey Bar Electric and Grainger; I called both and they both said that they're currently unable to place an order and in their system these units are marked as "discontinued by Manufacturer" and that I should call Schneider Electric. ? eh ? :?

BestPal said:
Yesterday I called Schneider Electric directly and inquired about this specific Indoor charging station. The representative on the other end assured me that the units are currently available and gave me two phone numbers for dealers in my area: Grey Bar Electric and Grainger; I called both and they both said that they're currently unable to place an order and in their system these units are marked as "discontinued by Manufacturer" and that I should call Schneider Electric. ? eh ? :?
So what happened when you called Schneider again and explained the confusion?

I purchased my Schneider EVlink in late January at Home Depot. I received the email about the recall 08APR13 from Home Depot, called Schneider that evening and was told it was an after hours answering service that I would be called back.. Called the next morning after not receiving a call back as promised, waited over an hour to speak to a rep...... Finally got through only to find out that at that time they had no parts or actual plan to replace the cords until testing could be completed. Was promised a call back on or near 19APR13 with an update, still waiting for that contact..

Items that I find disturbing:
1) no call or letter from Schneider even though the unit was registered with them for warranty purposes - initial contact was from Home Depot with recall dated 02APR13
2) long wait times to speak to a rep. :oops:
3) being told my unit was not included in the recall even though the serial number was in the range of units affected, verified serial number with Schneider and my unit is involved.
4) no call back giving possible date of recall resolution, so is testing really going on or are am I being held hostage?

Patrick

While waiting for the recall service, many EVlink owners have sent us their Nissan Level 1 cords for upgrade, then you get back to Level 2 charging, and when Schneider gets around to replacing your unit, you still have a backup and portable EVSE available.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
While waiting for the recall service, many EVlink owners have sent us their Nissan Level 1 cords for upgrade, then you get back to Level 2 charging, and when Schneider gets around to replacing your unit, you still have a backup and portable EVSE available.

-Phil

I like how persistent and subtle the ads like the one above are. And you can find them in just about every other thread here. I've gotta admit: great job. It's free and targeted not only directly to most likely potential buyers but also to the google search as their website gets plugged in every time in the signature. Google search engine tricking at it's best. I admire the great effort. Wonder when GE, Schneider, Leviton and other companies will step up their social media marketing campaigns and learn from this chap. :lol:

I am going to keep my 115V charger and had a GE WattStation delivered, installing it TONIGHT!

Looks like I will be taking the Schneider back to Home Depot under the 90 day return policy.

Sure is an unfortunate turn of events as I really liked the Schneider unit, too bad the company doesn't support customers well.
I hope no one is injured or any property is destroyed due to this lack of support. I was lucky, Hope Depot stood behind the product and I will get a full refund.

Good luck to all those customers that are still hanging on for Schneider support!

I like how persistent and subtle the ads like the one above are.

You should put that in the context of how much Phil has contributed to this forum and EV cause in general, then you wouldn't see that as 'ads'.

BestPal said:
I like how persistent and subtle the ads like the one above are. And you can find them in just about every other thread here. ... Wonder when GE, Schneider, Leviton and other companies will step up their social media marketing campaigns and learn from this chap. :lol:
I assure you that if those other companies would make a similarly helpful representative available to the forum, we'd welcome them with open arms.

BestPal said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

I like how persistent and subtle the ads like the one above are. And you can find them in just about every other thread here. I've gotta admit: great job. It's free and targeted not only directly to most likely potential buyers but also to the google search as their website gets plugged in every time in the signature. Google search engine tricking at it's best. I admire the great effort. Wonder when GE, Schneider, Leviton and other companies will step up their social media marketing campaigns and learn from this chap. :lol:
entrepreneurial and capitalism really shouldn't be dirty words

Back