How do I turn on the fan (without the AC)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends as much on the inside cabin air temperature. If it is 50 in the car, for example, the heat will come on even with the temp set to 60.

LEAFfan said:
I did this test today: It was about 78 degrees out this morning when we left and all I wanted was the fresh air with the fan on. I wanted to know how high the thermostat could go (started with 60) and still keep the heater off. When I upped it to 84, the heater kicked on. Lower than that (83), zero on the climate control. So I proved it isn't necessary to take it all the way down to 60 or even close to that. Obviously it will depend on your outside temp.

TomT said:
It depends as much on the inside cabin air temperature. If it is 50 in the car, for example, the heat will come on even with the temp set to 60.

LEAFfan said:
I did this test today: It was about 78 degrees out this morning when we left and all I wanted was the fresh air with the fan on. I wanted to know how high the thermostat could go (started with 60) and still keep the heater off. When I upped it to 84, the heater kicked on. Lower than that (83), zero on the climate control. So I proved it isn't necessary to take it all the way down to 60 or even close to that. Obviously it will depend on your outside temp.
Is 60º the lowest set point?

mxp said:
I did a speed read through this thread, but there is no useful summary of how to achieve this. It sounds like:
1. There is no way to turn off the AC and have just the fan
Erm... AFAIK, if the "AC" light is not not lit, the A/C is not on, period. BY "A/C" I mean "the stuff that cools", not the "climate control" which would include the heater.

mxp said:
Can someone help write up a neat summary so that this thread becomes a useful reference that is searchable and a how-to guide?
This information is an ideal candidate for a wiki post. :roll:

johnr said:
What I do is lower the thermostat far enough to prevent the heater from coming on, press the fan speed up button, and then if necessary press the A/C button to turn off the A/C.
It'd be interesting to see if this works when the indicated ambient temperature is lower than the selected temperature.... It sounds like once the ambient temperature dips below 60 degrees, there will be no way to turn on the fan without the heater also coming on.

ElectricVehicle said:
That's my method also for the moment which works great except for the extra button pushes. I tend to check the energy gauges, just to make sure it's doing what I think it is.
And one would hope that the gauges are not lying to you! I don't have much faith in the "climate control energy usage" gauge. I've seen cases where that gauge indicates a 3 kW draw but then changes to 1+ kW when I merely turn the fan off and on (while the A/C is on).

ElectricVehicle said:
I do see the energy change when I turn on the LED headlights, though that's a bit more power than the fan I'd guess.
I wonder why? The headlamps draw from the 12V battery.

So for us on the east coast or colder areas, I can see setting the temp to 60 and auto during colder weather and using the heated seats and wheel

I am guessing this will consume less power than a t stat setting of 72

With the discussion earlier about disconnecting the heater I had been wondering if it was possible to permanently disconnect the AC, since it is useless where I live (I'd have ordered the car without it and saved the weight if I could). But if I can just turn the AC off with the button, that's good enough.

This has been one of the more useful threads I've come across. Thanks to the OP and others who have answered the questions!

This is interesting because my fiance would be freezing if it was 62 and the AC kicked on. Is there a way to adjust the settings. Could you take it to the dealer and have it adjusted? Many air conditioning indianapolis companies can offer services like this. It might be worth looking into if you are not happy with the settings.

I have had problems just using the fan. I have been able to turn off the A/C but sometimes the fan control would not work. Occassionally I have had to switch back and forth before I only had the fan AND could control the fan speed. I have not changed the temperature settings to achieve this. If you change to circulate it is a new ballgame - start over. So far so good without circulate - just a pain to get it in the steps it likes.

Back