How to limit charging to 80%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2019 Leaf SV Plus (62 kWh) charging Level 2 at 6.6 kW will add 12% per hour. Using Level 1 charging at 1.4kW will add 2% per hour. I have confirmed this but this is with a relatively new battery (above 90% SOH). I suspect these per hour percentages will increase as the battery capacity (SOH) decreases.

Actually I do know the difference between Kw and Kwh but sometimes what the mind thinks doesn't get to what the hands type.
It will likely happen to you some day, and I hope those that point it out or clarify do it more gently than you. Age can be humiliating to the proudest of us
There is no need to be so condescending.
In most cases it is easy to figure out what the person is trying to get across.
In the above example it is obvious to any who read it, that Kwh were what he/she was talking about.
A simple, "I think you meant Kwh" would be enough if you feel a need to correct.
Cornbinder, I am experiencing some of what you are. As a kid that was very mechanical from age 8 on, I took a lot of enjoyment from my technical efforts. Lately, I drop more things than I can hold and can't see well enough or hear well enough to track them down. I just have to roll with it. I am still the fix-it guy for our neighborhood. I don't think the other posters were trying to be mean but maybe a little humorous. But your caution has merit. If you live long enough you will likely lose some skills a bit. Patience and kindness are not a cure but nonetheless helpful.

Last edited:
How do you set the timer from the app?

The App that comes with my EVSE has a "scheduler" in it.
I can set the exact charging current in AMPs, as well as a start/stop time for the current to flow.

So all I need from Nissan is the current SOC when I get out of the car.

1000019421.jpg

1000016786.jpg

Then set the start/stop time for the charger at ~28amp rate. (~6.6KW charging)

Last edited:
Cornbinder, I am experiencing some of what you are. As a kid that was very mechanical from age 8 on, I took a lot of enjoyment from my technical efforts. Lately, I drop more things than I can hold and cant see well enough or hear well enough to track them down. I just have to roll with it. I am still the fixing buy for our neighborhood. I don't think the other posters were trying to be mean but maybe a little humorous. But your caution has merit. If you live long enough you will likely lose some skills a bit. Patience and kindness are not a cure but nonetheless helpful.
I've heard it called "age enhanced reading" (or writing), and yes it can lead to very humorous out comes when you read something other than was written. I have terrible trouble with writing a positive when I meant a negative and of course spell check will not pick-up something like that.

How do you set the timer from the app?
I guess I miss read your original post. But you were implying you could limit the charging from the Nissanconnect EV app.

I have an older juice box EVSE that I bought with my GEN 1 Leaf 11 years ago. The lack of timer back then wasn’t a big deal as the car had the 80% limit feature.

Now I have a GEN 2 with a 62 kWh battery and I really wish I had that feature. I have to physically intervene to prevent it from going to 100% which I never need.

I know… first world problem. Still frustrating.

Yea, a lot has happened in the EVSE world since the early Gen1 Leaf era. I had a hard time deciding which one to get because of the number of cool ones out there. I settled on the Emporia based on reviews and a nice discount at the time. I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better, but the features are nice and I can overcome fussing with the car's software limitations.

We live in remarkable times. They invent stuff every night while I am sleeping. :)

I have found that I get more charge on my level 1 charger, it takes a long time to charge but when my power for that plug comes from my solar system (back up power) , the cost is right

Yea, a lot has happened in the EVSE world since the early Gen1 Leaf era. I had a hard time deciding which one to get because of the number of cool ones out there. I settled on the Emporia based on reviews and a nice discount at the time. I'm sure there are others that are just as good or better, but the features are nice and I can overcome fussing with the car's software limitations.

We live in remarkable times. They invent stuff every night while I am sleeping. :)
I think it works to set the charging timer in the LEAF. You have to calculate how long it will take to charge. 75% is ready because it gives you that time number directly on the charging menu. But still a hassle. My JuiceBox charger is supposed to do that but isn't communicating with my app. I found some instructions that may allow me to correct that.

To give my point of view, I have a 40 kW 2018 LEAF. The car software has a graphic in the SoH section which details how much time from current SoC to 75% load (and it seems to default to the typical charge you do, mine says 6.6kW). I always add 15-20 minutes to that GOM value to get low 80s SoC. But I also use the 16-18% per hour rule of thumb.

And by the way, I have done DC fast charging about about 4-5 times over the 5.5 years owning. I did 100% charging on my house L2 that first winter with it (Ontario) since I didnt have a feel yet for the winter range. Since then I rarely go below 40% or above 85% SoC. Having said all that my Spy Lite tells me I am at 89% SoH and at 32000 kms. So perhaps Nissan is correct about the 80%, it hasnt helped me much by throttling the charging.

And for stevecu, I dont have a timer setting in my free app. I just note the time I plug in and come back per the above comments.

I think it works to set the charging timer in the LEAF. You have to calculate how long it will take to charge. 75% is ready because it gives you that time number directly on the charging menu. But still a hassle. My JuiceBox charger is supposed to do that but isn't communicating with my app. I found some instructions that may allow me to correct that.

Before I purchased the EVSE, I used that technique for charging as well. The Nissan EVSE that came with the car didn't have adjustable current, so I looked at the dashboard for that 75% estimate and then set the car's charge schedule/timef accordingly.

I'd probably still be using that technique if the new EVSE wasn't so much more convenient. I no longer have to sit in the car and do the math. :)
The Lazyboy and the smartphone app are indoors and at my leisure.

I charge my 2019 leaf consistently at the same EVSE. That EVSE is level 2 and charges at about 18kW per hour. I determine how many hours of charging I need to reach 80% at that charging rate and set the car's charge timer accordingly.
For example, if my battery is at 62% SOC, charging for 1 hour at 18kW will bring it up to 80%. But you have to know the charging rate of the EVSE you use.
I charge my 2013 always 100% and after 10 years of daily use age only 2 bar missing. What's the point?

Attachments

• IMG_20231228_201129.jpg
    IMG_20231228_201129.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I just bought a (used) 2021 Leaf SV Plus. A friend bought a 2022 Tesla. He showed me the Tesla app wherein you can set a charging limit, say to 80% (to enhance the longevity of the battery). Is there a way to accomplish that on my Leaf?
My 2012 Leaf has a timer when I can start/stop the charger, on the screen before you finish it asks if I want to charge to a certain percent of charge. I have the timer set to come on for 11 hours, it is off for the time just before I leave in the morning when my climate control heats or cools the inside of the car Because the car is plugged in will heat or cool on the charger cord power and not use the battery power.

Wow, Nissan did away with the 80% setting? I always thought it was odd they had that in my leaf which really only had about 50-60 miles of range for my commutes. Now that they have a much longer range model its kind of surprising they haven't brought it back as it would be useful now. I love my newest iPhones 80% charge max setting. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no good way to turn that off for days when you know you may need all 100% to get thru the day. (like traveling). You literally need to turn it off in the settings instead of something that would reset it back to 80 the next charge. -Bill

I charge my 2013 always 100% and after 10 years of daily use age only 2 bar missing. What's the point?
There is an interesting app if you live in certain part of California called powerflex. You set in the app the number of kilowatts you want to charge so yes you can stop at 80% and it gives you access to some low priced level 2 charging. Be sure to use the app to find the charging station because some powerflex chargers are closed to the public. Double check the sites with plugshare before going to them.

2013 Battery Bars half way lost 6 capacity bars on their '13 by July 2020. See 2013 Battery Bars half way about their charging habits. They were also in a super mild climate of San Francisco. If they were on a hot climate, I'd guess they'd be down 2 or 3 bars left (9 or10 bar loss).

I suspect if that person took care of their (crap chemistry) battery, they'd be down only 3 or 4 bars at that point, not 6.

You're also a a very mild climate. Look at what happens to a '13 Leaf even with a good chemistry but in blazing hot Phoenix: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses. Here are some others who lost more bars on a '13 by 2021: Value of 2013 Leaf SL?.

Last edited:
2013 Battery Bars half way lost 6 capacity bars on their '13 by July 2020. See 2013 Battery Bars half way about their charging habits. They were also in a super mild climate of San Francisco. If they were on a hot climate, I'd guess they'd be down 2 or 3 bars left (9 or10 bar loss).

I suspect if that person took care of their (crap chemistry) battery, they'd be down only 3 or 4 bars at that point, not 6.

You're also a a very mild climate. Look at what happens to a '13 Leaf even with a good chemistry but in blazing hot Phoenix: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses. Here are some others who lost more bars on a '13 by 2021: Value of 2013 Leaf SL?.
I think charging 100% it's more beneficial then 80% as all cells get balanced at end of the charging session. I noticed long time ago ,when battery is already 100%- charger is still ON for another 10 min or longer. My " leaf spy " app show all cells nicely balanced. That never happens when you charge 80%.
I'm not into this forum anymore as selling my Leaf - I bought Mitsubishi Outlander plugin.

I think charging 100% it's more beneficial then 80% as all cells get balanced at end of the charging session. I noticed long time ago ,when battery is already 100%- charger is still ON for another 10 min or longer. My " leaf spy " app show all cells nicely balanced. That never happens when you charge 80%.
I'm not into this forum anymore as selling my Leaf - I bought Mitsubishi Outlander plugin.
Countless studies mention that a lower SoC is better. Slide 8 of https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy16osti/66708.pdf suggests that, for example. How does balancing and high SoC help w/degradation? You're just worsening it due to high SoC.

See what Nissan says on page EV-24 of https://owners.nissanusa.com/conten...sanLEAF/2013/2013-NissanLEAF-owner-manual.pdf.

Many EV makers besides Nissan themselves also suggest avoiding high SoC for longevity reasons. Some have UI affordances like https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...harging-can-harm-battery.221174/#post-5350133. Corner page number 276 of https://www.vwidtalk.com/attachments/owners-manual-id-4-10_2020-pdf.10912/ suggests not keeping it above 80% for more than 12 hours. They're about the most paranoid I've seen.

Rivian (see snippet at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/80-90-or100.50236/page-3#post-855962) suggests charging to 70% for daily driving.

Chevy Volt had huge buffers at the top and bottom of their pack.

Last edited:

Maybe is due to the climate, but summer is super hot here last few years. Bottom line how long you want to meet the car? For me 11 years car is already obsolete and time to move forward. My Prius last 15 years,well past due date. In Japan cars last on average 5-6 years. ( Government tax on older cars)

Blame the EPA fir the first round of this. Blame Nissan for the response.

The original Nissan Leafs had a 80% charge setting and the EPA said if Nissan kept the 80% charge setting Nissan would have to average the range between 80% and 100% charge when advertising the range of the Leaf. Which made the Leaf look like it had less range vs other EVs with a similar capacity battery pack.

Nissan caved and removed the 80% charge setting so now all newer Leafs just charge to 100% and they can advertise the 100% range.

Now EVs have higher capacity packs, but Nissan hasn't ever pushed back and added the charge percentage slider like they should.
I have a 23 Tesla & a 23 Leaf S. Tesla does not require any thinking or digging in menus to limit it to daily 80%. Getting other family members to calculate, search, set, etc is hard.
Leaf used to have 80% feature but abandoned it, so how hard would it be to bring it back? Probably easy, but just no motivation as stated above.
Leaf does accept software updates installed by dealer for recalls, so there is an avenue to install updates.
Would you pay for this upgrade to give Nissan motivation? I would up to $250.

Back