Hybrid car sales: Lots of options, few takers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volusiano said:
Even low cost cars such as the sub-compact Kia Rio will have start-stop engine in 2012 and will go on sale for $14,350. This will help give 3-5% fuel saving. So one of hybrids' advantages is already starting to become a common place feature in ICE cars in the short future. So all the hybrid's advantages left are the electric take-off and regen slow down.

You forgot the Atkinson cycle engine, which greatly contributes to the MPG gains.
The Prius also uses the electric motor to "start" up the ICE; there is no "starter" as in a traditional ICE, not sure how they are going to stop/start engines without using something similar. A traditional car starter is not going to work for that...

TomT said:
Nope, not the ones I am looking at at least... The smaller Prius is smaller than all of them and not nearly as nice inside... I'll reserve final judgement until I drive them all, however.
Well, name those cars so we can be as enlightened as you seem to be.

edatoakrun said:
There are many 40+ mpg highway ICEVs available today that achieve that level of fuel efficiency with innovations that used to be more or less unique to hybrids, lower rolling resistance tires, improved aerodynamics, etc. Even in “city” driving, significant efficiency gains can can be had by adding stop/start systems to non-hybrid ICEVs.
But compared to HSD based hybrids like the Prius, they get really lousy city EPA numbers (and results on CR city tests) and lousy combined/overall mileage compared to HSD hybrids. I pointed out some of these dramatic differences in my earlier post. Please chime in if you know of currently sold gasoline powered ICEVs who are anywhere close and that have comparable interior room and power.

As for start/stop systems, well, a bunch of automakers claim that it doesn't help much or at all on the EPA tests. See http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/12/mazda-epa-test-keeps-stop-start-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The statement is interesting as the city and cold temp portions have 23 stops per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and seems to contradict what Mazda's saying. Not sure what's up with those 22 other stops. (For more info on the EPA tests, see http://priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/67235-car-driver-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I still believe the VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI will be a great second car to our LEAF. Taken together this "LEAF/TDI" will be a great hybrid. I also hear VW will reveal an actual hybrid in Geneva 2012.

A little off-topic ... but I can't resist something that irked me when I -- after reading this discussion -- checked out http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm ... Nice site, *BUT* ... **THEY** should know better !

When they quote "Annual Petroleum Consumption" under "Energy Impact Score" they should NOT equate a BARREL of Petroleum as 42 gallons of GASOLINE ! Yes, 1 barrel of (water) contains 42 gallons of (water), but 1 barrel of oil (petroleum) does not result in 42 gallons of gasoline :roll:

Example, 2012 Pirus, 48 Hwy, 51 city, at 45% Hwy, 55% City and 15k miles per year ( all their #s) gives

( 15,000 * 0.45 / 48 ) + ( 15,000 * 0.55 / 51 ) = 302.4 gallons = 7.2 "barrels" of gasoline. ( I can't reproduce their 6.9 barrels reported for "Annual Petroleum Consumption" ... not sure what other factors they use ... but close enough. )

:geek:

A diesel hybrid would be the best of both worlds IMHO.

TRONZ said:
I still believe the VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI will be a great second car to our LEAF. Taken together this "LEAF/TDI" will be a great hybrid. I also hear VW will reveal an actual hybrid in Geneva 2012.

cwerdna said:
edatoakrun said:
There are many 40+ mpg highway ICEVs available today that achieve that level of fuel efficiency with innovations that used to be more or less unique to hybrids, lower rolling resistance tires, improved aerodynamics, etc. Even in “city” driving, significant efficiency gains can can be had by adding stop/start systems to non-hybrid ICEVs.
But compared to HSD based hybrids like the Prius, they get really lousy city EPA numbers (and results on CR city tests) and lousy combined/overall mileage compared to HSD hybrids. I pointed out some of these dramatic differences in my earlier post. Please chime in if you know of currently sold gasoline powered ICEVs who are anywhere close and that have comparable interior room and power.

As for start/stop systems, well, a bunch of automakers claim that it doesn't help much or at all on the EPA tests. See http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/12/mazda-epa-test-keeps-stop-start-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The statement is interesting as the city and cold temp portions have 23 stops per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and seems to contradict what Mazda's saying. Not sure what's up with those 22 other stops. (For more info on the EPA tests, see http://priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/67235-car-driver-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

While EPA numbers are useful, they do not necessarily reflect real-world results. European vehicles mostly have stop/start, because, IIRC, their test cycle more accurately reflects fuel savings, than does the EPA city test cycle.

For example, IF I were in the market for an ICV, I would probably choose to buy a Hyundai Elantra, Chevy Cruze, or a Ford focus, cars with "comparable interior room and power" to a Prius.

Any of these cars would cost me many thousands of dollars less, and use only about 50 more gallons of gasoline a year (10,000 miles a year at about 40 MPG rather than 50 MPG- I don't drive in "city" conditions) than the Prius.

On the other hand, An EV like my LEAF saves me 200 gallons of gas a year, and about 75% of the fuel costs (and an even greater percentage of CO2 pollution) over the Prius, for about the same additional price increase.

Which brings me back to my point, that the incremental benefits of hybrids, were and are, far lower than those provided by EVs.

So the low level of current hybrid sales, do not predict future EV sales.

IMO, EVs will almost certainly replace ICEVs, hybrid and otherwise, as the largest proportion of new vehicle sales, much sooner than vehicle manufactures (and most EV advocates) now expect.

I believe the initial limiting factor in EV sales will be infrastructure development. Once fast charging is widely available, EV sales will likely be limited mostly by how rapidly manufactures are able to convert from ICEV production.

Today's WSJ has a (free) article on-topic:

Toyota Motor Corp.'s new 2012 Camry hybrid looks good on paper: It's more fuel efficient, has faster performance and costs less than last year's model.

On a nearly 600 mile road trip from Detroit to Mackinac City and back, Eyes on the Road's Joe White finds Toyota's new hybrid isn't the best long-distance road warrior.
So how good is it? I took a 569-mile road trip from Detroit to the Mackinac Bridge in northern Michigan to get the answer—and a piece of Mackinac Island's famous fudge. The trip illustrated the appeal of hybrids—yet underscored why more people don't buy them....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204010604576596691727903676.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLE_Video_Third" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're a consumer looking to go down the road as cost-effectively as possible there are no "winning" choices in hybrids or diesel that I've seen. We just picked up a Mazda 3 nicely equipped for 18 and change out the door and it's getting about 33-34 mpg. We looked at the Prius, and while we didn't get into serious negotiations with the dealer (because I couldn't stand talking to one more d-bag salesman) I could tell it was going to be about $5k more. The savings in fuel consumption doesn't pencil out, not to mention you have that costly battery replacement hanging over your head down the road. Same story with the diesel.

Bottom line, whether you're looking at hybrid, diesel, or EV, any fuel savings over a sensible ICE choice seems to get baked back into the price. You can't win.

On an unrelated topic I heard yesterday large vehicle sales are on the upswing, attributed to lower fuel prices. Apparently the 50 cent pullback in gas prices is expected to remain in effect over the 10 year lifespan of a new vehicle purchase.

LTLFTcomposite said:
not to mention you have that costly battery replacement hanging over your head down the road.

Speaking from 10 years of experience, with all 3 generations of the Toytota Prius (2002 Gen 1), (2004 Gen 2), and current 2010 Gen 3, I have not replaced a single HV battery or had any drive train issue in my 10 years with Prii. I have had to replace the 12V AGM battery on my 2004, when it was 6 years old. Please don't perpetuate unsubstantiated rumors about the HV battery pack, my 2004 was over 7 years old when it was traded in, and it worked great and got over 45MPG at trade in time.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Bottom line, whether you're looking at hybrid, diesel, or EV, any fuel savings over a sensible ICE choice seems to get baked back into the price. You can't win.

ICE using Compress Natural Gas gets you closer to the goal. Less expensive fuel and it is domestic.

TomT said:

A number of companies are reportedly working on these - and over the past few years there were reports we would be seeing them by now. Volvo, VW, Puegeot, Mercedes, to name a few (ok - well most of them). A couple on the list also rumored to by plugin diesel hybrids as well.

All claim over 100 MPG, and some are talking over 200 MPG.

Wonder if those mileage numbers are high enough to draw sales interest.

mitch672 said:
Please don't perpetuate unsubstantiated rumors about the HV battery pack, my 2004 was over 7 years old when it was traded in, and it worked great and got over 45MPG at trade in time.

I wouldn't call the lady sitting in the next cube telling me of her experience an unsubstantiated rumor. Prius and civic both needed battery replacements at about 8 years.

You are smart to trade at the 7 year mark.

LTLFTcomposite said:
mitch672 said:
Please don't perpetuate unsubstantiated rumors about the HV battery pack, my 2004 was over 7 years old when it was traded in, and it worked great and got over 45MPG at trade in time.

I wouldn't call the lady sitting in the next cube telling me of her experience an unsubstantiated rumor. Prius and civic both needed battery replacements at about 8 years.

You are smart to trade at the 7 year mark.

for the few that do need to be replaced, there are several companies who are taking "junk yard" Prii, and rebuilding the packs, with used cells, typically they do this for under $300-$400, so it's still way less than even an ICE minor engine overhaul, you don't have to go with a "new" traction pack on an 8 year old Prius, just does not make econmic sense, a rebuilt pack will get that car to the end of its life, most likely. and there is nothing magical about the 8 year mark, there are still some Gen 1's from 2001-2002 on their original packs, the first Gen 2's (2004 MY) came out in late 2003 (October 2003 to be exact),so they are now about 8 years old, lets see how many 04 Prii need their packs replaced.

Honda is a totally different story, we are talking about Prii.

LakeLeaf said:
TomT said:

A number of companies are reportedly working on these - and over the past few years there were reports we would be seeing them by now. Volvo, VW, Puegeot, Mercedes, to name a few (ok - well most of them). A couple on the list also rumored to by plugin diesel hybrids as well.

All claim over 100 MPG, and some are talking over 200 MPG.

Wonder if those mileage numbers are high enough to draw sales interest.

It looked like the Volvo PHEV diesel wagon was on the way to the USA.... until they swapped out the diesel engine for gas. Why do they do that??? It's like their engineers think the laws of physics are different in America or something.

Even if the battery does not need replacing, which has the lower TCO, a 2011 Prius or a 2011 Corolla? As much as I'd like the answer to be the Prius (it is a great piece of engineering) I'm pretty sure the Corolla would beat it.

Until that equation changes expect the subject line of this thread to be a fact of life.

They still seem to think that diesels will not sell in the U.S. even though Mercedes, VW and BMW have been proving them to be very wrong...

TRONZ said:
It looked like the Volvo PHEV diesel wagon was on the way to the USA.... until they swapped out the diesel engine for gas. Why do they do that???

I can honestly say I am not a big fan of hybrid power trains. They remind me of those VHS/DVD combo players. By trying to have it both ways they end up being not very great at either format.

GPowers said:
ICE using Compress Natural Gas gets you closer to the goal. Less expensive fuel and it is domestic.

Honda put an $11k premium on the CNG Civic, yes it requires an expensive $1k tank and hardened valves but $11k?.. you dont even need a high pressure fuel pump with CNG.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Even if the battery does not need replacing, which has the lower TCO, a 2011 Prius or a 2011 Corolla?

http://www.edmunds.com/tco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the Edmunds 5 year TCO calculator:

2011 Prius II TCO $35.7k gas $5.2k

2011 Corolla S (4 speed AT) TCO $35.9k gas $8.95k

Priuses are VERY durable, very little to go wrong in them, very high resale value also.. note that at 10 years you would be further ahead on the Prius.

BTW, the Leaf wins at a TCO of $33.7k

Back