I live in Phoenix AZ 115+ hot summers - should I get a leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ag1371

Can anybody tell me how Nissan Leafs do in hot weather? Specially Arizona weather? Please let me know. Thanks

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn't buy. I would only lease and make sure that you can make your commute with degradation that you're going to encounter. Count on depending on having the range of a Leaf w/3 capacity bars lost, as you'll need to lose a 4th to take advantage of the capacity warranty (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

cwerdna said:
I wouldn't buy. I would only lease and make sure that you can make your commute with degradation that you're going to encounter. Count on
You might want to consider a 2-year lease. Even then, the battery could be significantly impacted before the end of the lease term. Please evaluate your range needs and how much capacity loss you can sustain.

In the interest of netting it out for potential leasers in hot weather areas, is there a maximum range people should be thinking about in the desert SW for 2 and 3 year leases? I think in Florida we will be good for 50 miles (60/40 mix of highway and surface streets) up to three years.

In AZ I would only do a 24 month lease and forget any purchase.

If you take the EPA range of 72 miles and figure 70% max loss according to the Nissan warranty you get 50.4 miles.

Ag1371 said:
Can anybody tell me how Nissan Leafs do in hot weather? Specially Arizona weather? Please let me know. Thanks
Depends on how many miles you drive a day. If >60 then I would steer you elsewhere but as long as you don't need to go more than ~60 miles/day, you can easily do that without compromise up until the point that the warranty kicks in and you get a new battery. I will add that the AC is great. This was one of my concerns when I purchased (would I have to drive around with no AC to get the range?) but the reality is the AC uses very little energy compared to overcoming wind drag so you can leave it on and enjoy the drive.

There have been some *amazing* lease deals in the past, but I suspect those will remain in the past.

2h7l6on.jpg

I lost a bar, in 75 degree weather..

Lease, dont buy..

sadly, i bought. :(

Definitely do a two-year lease. The jury is still out on how the battery pack will do compared to earlier years. Before you lease however, let me use my LEAF App to check the battery pack capacity so you can start with a full pack. I didn't have this App when I leased mine. It was probably at least 3% down, and now it's 7% down in capacity.
Also, the A/C uses much more energy than previous years.

Would not recommend in Az or Tx. Get a Volt with a temperature management cooling system that is not based on hot air like the Leaf.

This coming from a Leaf and a Volt owner.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Would not recommend in Az or Tx. Get a Volt with a temperature management cooling system that is not based on hot air like the Leaf.

This coming from a Leaf and a Volt owner.

Ian B

Maybe he doesn't want to burn oil? Lease for 24 months, then see what's out there. The lease deals are good, and in 24 months, the degradation shouldn't be greater than 30%-ish.

You could also purchase the LEAF car shell and lease ("replacement program") the battery for $100/mo next year as I understand Nissan's latest offering.
See announcement here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aside: If you are interesting in the Volt for reasons stated above you can go to gm-volt.com to ask questions as there are various owners from AZ. I get 45+ EV miles in my 2 yr old Volt while using the A/C just for myself (3 vents pointed to me - fan low, ECO AC mode, 75F). Weather recently here was high 80's/low 90's. FYI, I went to college in Phoenix, AZ so I know the heat!

I don't think I would buy/lease one here again. Look at the Ford Focus, as it has longer range and thermal management, and the lease deals are nearly as good as the Leaf's. It's a bummer that it doesn't have a QC port, but it does have the 6.6kW charger. Personally, I won't buy or lease another sub-100 mile range car for Phoenix, as the metro is too big and I really hated planning my trips around charging.

Scott mentions the Volt, and it's fine for Phoenix. In the winter (2013 model) I easily get around 48 miles on a charge, sometimes over 50, and in the summer I'm getting around 36 miles. The RAV4 is king, though, and I don't drive my Volt if the RAV is in the garage.

scottf200 said:
Aside: If you are interesting in the Volt for reasons stated above you can go to gm-volt.com to ask questions as there are various owners from AZ. I get 45+ EV miles in my 2 yr old Volt while using the A/C just for myself (3 vents pointed to me - fan low, ECO AC mode, 75F). Weather recently here was high 80's/low 90's. FYI, I went to college in Phoenix, AZ so I know the heat!
Just take what you hear on gm-volt.com with a grain of salt. Folks who dare say anything non-positive about the Volt on that forum get banned unlike this forum. I mentioned their slow sales and was banned, no warning, IP banned, big time tantrum by the super moderator WopOnTour. But they do allow moderators to create threads making fun of a senior Volt owner who had his cars computer crash on the highway causing near accident. They are also some there quite unfriendly to the Leaf.

dm33 said:
scottf200 said:
Just take what you hear on gm-volt.com with a grain of salt. Folks who dare say anything non-positive about the Volt on that forum get banned unlike this forum. I mentioned their slow sales and was banned, no warning, IP banned, big time tantrum by the super moderator WopOnTour. But they do allow moderators to create threads making fun of a senior Volt owner who had his cars computer crash on the highway causing near accident. They are also some there quite unfriendly to the Leaf.

You aren't the first one to mention the censorship over there. I wouldn't lease or buy a Volt or other hybrid no matter how many electric miles it gets since it uses gasoline. Despite what they say over there, every so often the gas engine NEEDS to run. And now you have a transmission, catalytic converter, plugs, oil changes, injectors, etc., etc.
Maybe, as Tony said, the OP wants to lease an ELECTRIC car, not a hybrid.

TickTock said:
LEAFfan said:
Also, the A/C uses much more energy than previous years.
Any details?

Last year during July, my A/C would start out around 1.5kW or so, then after a few minutes/miles would drop to a sliver and my kW h/miles would basically stay the same. Now, it starts at 1.5 and stays JUST below 1.5 and my mpkh/miles drops like a rock. It's definitely changed.

LEAFfan said:
dm33 said:
Just take what you hear on gm-volt.com with a grain of salt. Folks who dare say anything non-positive about the Volt on that forum get banned unlike this forum. I mentioned their slow sales and was banned, no warning, IP banned, big time tantrum by the super moderator WopOnTour
You aren't the first one to mention the censorship over there.
Correction. To my knowledge he is the first, and so far as I know, the only person to claim that. And his claim was pretty thoroughly debunked when he made it before.
Read http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12005&start=135 and the following 20 or so posts.

Incidentally, there are negative posts about the LEAF on gm-volt.com, but I think not so many as the negative posts found here on the Volt. Each forum has a few members with strong, almost rabid, opinions, but each forum also has positive posts about the other's car. Both are reputable forums. I would trust community opinion expressed there on the Volt as much as I trust community opinion here on the LEAF.

Ray

Back