I really really HATE the SF Bay Area's PG&E

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

I really really HATE the SF Bay Area's PG&E. There cannot be anyone else worse than PG&E.

Yes, I am really venting. This is an example of a public utility that is seriously GUILTY of NOT proactively supporting the EV early adopters and ultimately mainstream adoption of EVs in the SF Bay Area. It's all about revenues first, above and beyond the cause to free the USA from foreign oil IMO.

First, they charged me $250 as a once-off fee just to install a non-Smart Meter for E9B utility access.
Ok I could live with that.

Second, I think they are delaying the implementation of Quick Chargers in the SF Bay Area. There may be other factors like standards etc yet to be ratified (whatever!) but this says it:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3813#p89767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Third, they are now planning to hike up E9A and E9B rates:
http://www.pge.com/nots/rates/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_3910-E.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whilst this DoE page is still up encouraging EV adopters:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/CA/6489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the hell is wrong with the management of PG&E ????

(Okay, flame suit on)

I wish I live in the city of Santa Clara, oh well. Much simpler and much cheaper energy rates:

http://www.siliconvalleypower.com/pdf/2011RatesD1Schedule.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mxp said:
I really really HATE the SF Bay Area's PG&E. There cannot be anyone else worse than PG&E.

Yes, I am really venting. This is an example of a public utility that is seriously GUILTY of NOT proactively supporting the EV early adopters and ultimately mainstream adoption of EVs in the SF Bay Area. It's all about revenues first, above and beyond the cause to free the USA from foreign oil IMO.

First, they charged me $250 as a once-off fee just to install a non-Smart Meter for E9B utility access.

Second, I think they are delaying the implementation of Quick Chargers in the SF Bay Area. There may be other factors like standards etc yet to be ratified (whatever!) but this says it:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3813#p89767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Third, they are now planning to hike up E9A and E9B rates:
http://www.pge.com/nots/rates/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_3910-E.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whilst this DoE page is still up encouraging EV adopters:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/CA/6489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the hell is wrong with the management of PG&E ????

(Okay, flame suit on)

The rate hike is going to burn not only EV drivers and solar users but all customers. PGE is pulling a fast one to trick the PUC into rate hikes that they say will benefit EV users per a PUC request when the reality is a complicated scam of a plan made to look like it will benefit EV drivers but in reality will burn all the customers with huge rate hikes. Every PGE customer needs to get on this ASAP before it is enacted! This is a yet another way PGE is going to scam it's customers.

Wow. Not only are they getting rid of the tiered rates. Their timing of peak, partial peak and off peak is absurd. This is total non-sense and definitely a scam.... We got to act together to get on this and make sure this does not pass through....

csriram45 said:
Wow. Not only are they getting rid of the tiered rates. Their timing of peak, partial peak and off peak is absurd. This is total non-sense and definitely a scam.... We got to act together to get on this and make sure this does not pass through....

Yes, it is a scam and the PUC asked them to do something for EV drivers and they devised this scam as a result. This is a really big deal and needs to be addressed before it is implemented. Here is some info from the bay leaf list. Perhaps a EV protest rally to the PGE offices in SF would draw some media attention?

Anyone wishing to protest this filing may do so by letter sent via U.S. mail, by
facsimile or electronically, any of which must be received no later than October
17, 2011, which is 21 days after the date of this filing.4 Protests should be mailed
to:
CPUC Energy Division
Tariff Files, Room 4005
DMS Branch
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, California 94102
Facsimile: (415) 703-2200
E-mail: [email protected] and [email protected]

Copies of protests also should be mailed to the attention of the Director, Energy
Division, Room 4004, at the address shown above.

The protest also should be sent via U.S. mail (and by facsimile and electronically,
if possible) to PG&E at the address shown below on the same date it is mailed or
delivered to the Commission:
Brian K. Cherry
Vice President, Regulations and Rates
Pacific Gas and Electric Company
77 Beale Street, Mail Code B10C
P.O. Box 770000
San Francisco, California 94177
Facsimile: (415) 973-6520
E-mail: [email protected]

Herm said:
follow the money, is this a for-profit company?

It's a publicly regulated utility, so, yes, by definition. But the important part is that it's subject to regulation on the rate side (by PUC) and the generation side (by the California Energy Commission, and others)

man it really feels like there an electrical storm on this forums,but really if thing is the more jucie thats being sucked out of the power grid the more costly it's going to be to pump that juice back into the power grid!you know it like you only have one electrial company in the world and this company has to power the entire world with electricity so more alike you give the electrial comapny a break ,the electrical company will give you a break **D

mechkid said:
man it really feels like there an electrical storm on this forums,but really if thing is the more jucie thats being sucked out of the power grid the more costly it's going to be to pump that juice back into the power grid!you know it like you only have one electrial company in the world and this company has to power the entire world with electricity so more alike you give the electrial comapny a break ,the electrical company will give you a break **D

The electrical companies have a fixed overhead cost so when the consumption drops the prices need to increase to cover the fixed costs. So the more electricity they make, the lower the cost per unit is until they run out of capacity and have to bring higher cost replacement electricity online. I cannot imagine the electric company giving giving me a break - other than demanding me to send more money to break my bank with the new E9 double the money scheme.

Nekota said:
I cannot imagine the electric company giving giving me a break - other than demanding me to send more money to break my bank with the new E9 double the money scheme.
It does not look like adding solar will create much of a break either if SDG&E gets their way and separates transmission and generation charges as I am sure PG&E will adopt that scheme too :( http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes the E9 double the money scheme is so bad I might as well go back to E1 and charge my car whenever I want.

I've been looking over my math as well, and it looks like the difference between E1 and E9A is nearly non-existent with the current planned usage of my vehicle and my current home energy usage.

It will be highly likely that I will also revert back to E1 if the CPUC passes the proposed change, so you're not the only one Spies.

I've got a big house and use lots of power, putting me in the over 300% of baseline tier. I have to run the numbers, but I may actually save money. Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but it sounds like anybody who spent $ putting a second meter for E9B is ***t out of luck.

tailgate1234 said:
I've got a big house and use lots of power, putting me in the over 300% of baseline tier. I have to run the numbers, but I may actually save money. Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but it sounds like anybody who spent $ putting a second meter for E9B is ***t out of luck.

Well, 25% of E-9 customers (those who use the most electricity) will see a bill reduction based upon PG&E's proposal. Major issues I have with the proposal is that the CPUC is advising PG&E to look into rate changes that will create incentives for electric vehicle adoption and off-peak charging. There are NO incentives based upon this proposal. Instead, PG&E is setting rates that merely redistribute costs from making less money on the 25% (high electricity usage consumers) to making more money off the remaining 75% (lower electricity usage customers). While conservation of energy should be a overall goal, the removal of tiers has the opposite effect. There are ways to create incentives for EV adoption, but charging higher rates for 3 out of 4 consumers is not one of them.

For consumers like Spies and myself, our electricity usage and/or EV annual mileage may be low enough that E-1 will cost less than the proposed E-9. No point in dealing with the inconvenience of TOU if E-1 is going to effectively cost the same or be cheaper, thereby potentially negating the overall goals of the CPUC towards the push for greater off-peak EV charging.

csriram45 said:
Is there a calculator to compare the current E9a vs the new E9a?

It was sent out on the SF Bayleafs e-mail list along with a short presentation and a template protest letter. Here are links for the spreadsheets temporarily hosted by Ingineer:

http://evseupgrade.com/pgerates-estimator-updated-09.29.11.xls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://evseupgrade.com/pgerates-estimator-proposed-nontier-E9-09.29.11.xls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't have the time to integrate them into a single sheet, so you'll have to just put matching numbers into both spreadsheets and compare the results.

Back