I want my 281!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before using DCQC, I was getting 76-77% SOC with an 80% L2 charge, and 94-95% SOC with a 100% L2 charge. After several QCs, it hit 83% and 100% once with an L2. Now, after several QCs, it goes to 80% and 96-97% using my L2.

my "full" charges seem pretty random running from as low as 271 to 280. most were in the 275 or 276 (total 6 times of 10) but no real pattern.

i checked soon after charge completion (where highest reading occurred) and several hours later. sometimes the later reading would be 1-2 GID lower, sometimes it was the same.

once again, no real patterns. hoping something emerges as i get more data points.

DaveinOlyWA said:
my "full" charges seem pretty random running from as low as 271 to 280. most were in the 275 or 276 (total 6 times of 10) but no real pattern.

Well, here's one data point from your runs. If I recall, you only had about 18-ish usable kWh available on one of you cold runs, yet your Gids stayed up.

That suggests to me that the Gids available to power the car are neither 80 watt/hours, nor are they fixed at some other value, like 70 or 75.

My Leaf charged to 282 twice today, on L2.

I have it on a 80% timer, I have never witnessed any extra balancing charging after using the timer override button and charging to 100%.

Today I tested it. This morning, my Leaf was at 279. I pressed the timer override button again, and it started charging. After 10-15 minutes it stopped, SOC meter displaying 282.

The same thing happened after work, the car was at 279 and charged to 282 after pressing the button and waiting a few minutes.

Two things to learn from this:

- The 2012 Leaf can charge to at least 282 on L2 (I have seen 288 on L3).
- Extra charging after balancing will not start if there is a 80% timer set, needs to be done manually.

jkirkebo said:

- Extra charging after balancing will not start if there is a 80% timer set, needs to be done manually.

There's no evidence that the battery pack needs 100% charging to balance the pack. The battery pack will balance fine with 80% charging all the time.

LEAFfan said:
jkirkebo said:

There's no evidence that the battery pack needs 100% charging to balance the pack. The battery pack will balance fine with 80% charging all the time.

Maybe, I didn't contradict that. I just stated that with a 80% timer set, the car will not start charging again automatically after balancing when charged to 100%. One must press the timer override button or start a top-up charge from the iPhone/Android app.

LEAFfan said:
There's no evidence that the battery pack balances at 80%. The battery pack will balance fine with 100% charging and plenty of time on the charger afterwards and will top off the pack after balancing if necessary. :p

New [lowest] record for me yesterday: 89.3%/251Gids for a 100% charge. Was plugged in for over 4 hours after charge finished. Temperature in the garage was in the mid 70s but was probably higher earlier in the day. The car showed 6 temperature bars.

12 fuel bars were displayed. They dropped off at lower Gid points than usual. However, I still got about 6 miles per bar which is typical for my trip. Also, the amount of the discrepancy between the number of Gids at which a fuel bar disappeared and the usual reading narrowed the lower the battery got.

I have noticed lower readings for the past two weeks. This coincides with garaging the car and warmer temperatures in the area. I assume the battery is staying hotter but am surprised by the amount of change in the readings.

Could be that the battery got significantly hotter after the charge finished and so had more capacity than when it stopped charging. However, shouldn't that have been reflected in fewer fuel bars as well? I had hoped the Gid was fairly constant to use as tool for calculating range but it seems it is not or...?

For the first time since getting our SOC meter, we hit 281 on a 100% charge while on our extended road trip (725 miles) a couple weeks ago. Maybe it had something to do with charging to 100% repeatedly, which is unusual for us. My record low is 264 gids. Normal is about 275.

On those rare days when I have had to do multiple successive 100 percent charges, I have noticed the Gid level goes up a little on each successive day, up to about three days when it then levels off. This tells me that it MAY take more than one 100% charge to completely balance the battery and that it MIGHT not actually balance - or balance fully - at 80% charging...

abasile said:
For the first time since getting our SOC meter, we hit 281 on a 100% charge while on our extended road trip (725 miles) a couple weeks ago. Maybe it had something to do with charging to 100% repeatedly, which is unusual for us. My record low is 264 gids. Normal is about 275.

abasile said:

I charge 6 days a week to 100% and for 5 of the 6 days I charge twice, once when I get home (overnight) the second when I get to work or vise versa.
My gids have dropped from a 281 (once) to 279 for about two months to 275, the 275 has been the standard for the last month I have never used an 80% charge since I took delivery the car December 5th 2011 and due to the amount of charge I use each trip I don’t ever see charging to 80%.

As I leased the possibility of battery degradation is not really an issue for me, but I think having the Gid meter will offer some real insight in 12 months and 15K+ miles as to the effect on the batteries hitting then with a 100% charge twice a day 5 days a week

91040 said:
New record for me yesterday: 89.3%/251Gids for a 100% charge. Was plugged in for over 4 hours after charge finished. Temperature in the garage was in the mid 70s but was probably higher earlier in the day. The car showed 6 temperature bars.

251 is a record for a 100% charge? that would concern me.

i am back to 280 on a charge. i had been timing my charges for about a week where i was charging right up to the time i left for work having anywhere from 88-94% SOC. (i only need about 65-70% for commute and side trips) then i went back to 100% (mostly because i forgot to unplug) and it took 5 days of charging to get back to the 280.

what was interesting is that i was charging to 275-278 and charge was complete 4-5 hours before leaving. on the day i went back to 280, charge had been complete for 11 hours. wondering if the pack balanced itself afterwards?

unfortunately with an analog meter, have no way of logging it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
91040 said:
New record for me yesterday: 89.3%/251Gids for a 100% charge. Was plugged in for over 4 hours after charge finished. Temperature in the garage was in the mid 70s but was probably higher earlier in the day. The car showed 6 temperature bars.

251 is a record for a 100% charge? that would concern me.

i am back to 280 on a charge. i had been timing my charges for about a week where i was charging right up to the time i left for work having anywhere from 88-94% SOC. (i only need about 65-70% for commute and side trips) then i went back to 100% (mostly because i forgot to unplug) and it took 5 days of charging to get back to the 280.

what was interesting is that i was charging to 275-278 and charge was complete 4-5 hours before leaving. on the day i went back to 280, charge had been complete for 11 hours. wondering if the pack balanced itself afterwards?

unfortunately with an analog meter, have no way of logging it.

Mine did the 280 then other times 278 and the 280 was a higher temp. I'm going to start monitoring every charge.

I have been noticing something "different" with my SOC bars as of late. About half the time I get in and power up, I am one bar lower than when I parked and turned the car off. It does not seem to matter how long I was in a store, 10min or an hour. I park three bars down, come out and power up to see four bars down. I would expect this if I were at the very bottom of a bar but I have seen more "full" bars vanishing as well. I never really noticed it doing this until last month, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Has anyone else noticed this "vanishing act" regularly. I vaguely remember something on this awhile back but a MNL search turned up empty.

And sorry, but I don't have real SOC (GID) meter to measure this.

Drop by Home Town Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana, Saturday the 26th from 8 to 11am. There will be multiple gidmeters available to check your car!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TRONZ said:
And sorry, but I don't have real SOC (GID) meter to measure this.

Back