ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Seattle residents

Someone responded to me the other day about EVSE installations in the City of Seattle and asking about the need for a permit. I heard back on some specifics today from the City folks responsible for this stuff.

A permit is required for a EVSE installation.

And this is what I heard back when asked about fines/complianace: "Please note that in the City of Seattle failure to get a permit for an EVSE installation carries a penalty of $175 per day for 10 days and $500 per day thereafter. "

So please, if you have not got a permit for a self installed unit - take care of it asap. They still don't have the Client Assistance Memo out yet so you can claim ignorance but soon enough, you won't be able to and this is a heafty fine for not permitting.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Hey Seattle residents

Someone responded to me the other day about EVSE installations in the City of Seattle and asking about the need for a permit. I heard back on some specifics today from the City folks responsible for this stuff.

A permit is required for a EVSE installation.

And this is what I heard back when asked about fines/complianace: "Please note that in the City of Seattle failure to get a permit for an EVSE installation carries a penalty of $175 per day for 10 days and $500 per day thereafter. "

So please, if you have not got a permit for a self installed unit - take care of it asap. They still don't have the Client Assistance Memo out yet so you can claim ignorance but soon enough, you won't be able to and this is a heafty fine for not permitting.

Ignorance is not a defense, unless you are in politics then it's a requirement. ;)

The McKinstry folks were kind enough to take care of the permitting for me, but I still have to arrange for a close-out inspection with the City sometime next week.. I've got to admit I'm pretty happy with how everything looks; kind of a shame that the Clipper Creek unit will have to be removed in a few short weeks. Hopefully Ecotality will be able to find some suitable new home for it afterwards..

i notice the "week of" has changed this morning in the dashboard to the 1/21. It's really the same week as 1/19.

I like the CC unit as well. I am guessing that Ecotality will recycle them in some way though when they are done at our homes. I can't see them installing one instead of a Blink. They are competitors with CC after all.

Watching Gudy's event now.

Anyone going to the event on 12/17, who's not already bringing someone? I'd love to go but somehow didn't get lucky enough to be invited.

So, is Nissan not inviting people who haven't had the opportunity to order yet ?

Powell, I'll ping you if my wife decides not to come.

I don't think my wife and I are going to be able to go. I'm not sure if I can "transfer" my invite or not. I haven't called in my rsvp yet, so maybe I can donate mine somehow to someone that doesn't have an invite.

blorg said:
I don't think my wife and I are going to be able to go. I'm not sure if I can "transfer" my invite or not. I haven't called in my rsvp yet, so maybe I can donate mine somehow to someone that doesn't have an invite.
I'd be happy to do my best impression of you there, if no one else has offered yet. ;)

The PR conference yesterday for the first Leaf gave me some hope. They mentioned that a ship with another load of Leafs would dock on 12/23. I'm curious if it will do a unload and then head north to Seattle. The trip seems to take a day. So maybe the last week in December if we are lucky. That would match what my dealer heard.

Heads up. I had a inspection today from the City of Seattle DPD group and they had two issues they found.

1) the EVSE needs an emergency on/off button somewhere in the garage. I'm guessing if you have your panel in your garage that this will suffice.

2) the wiring from my panel to the ceiling of our basement needs to be wrapped.

Other than that all is good.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
the EVSE needs an emergency on/off button somewhere in the garage. I'm guessing if you have your panel in your garage that this will suffice.
A disconnect switch? Here in Portland, unless the EVSE is within sight of the circuit breaker panel (and a minimum distance away) a separate disconnect is required.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
the wiring from my panel to the ceiling of our basement needs to be wrapped.
What do you mean by wrapped? Like, put into conduit?

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
1) the EVSE needs an emergency on/off button somewhere in the garage. I'm guessing if you have your panel in your garage that this will suffice.

Does the Start/Stop button on the Clipper Creek unit not count??

the on/off on the CC unit doesn't count for the on/off. It needs a external switch to control power along the line and within eyesight.

As for my basement wiring, it needs to have metalic sheeth over the romax between the panel and the joists in my basement. Not sure if "loom" is the right word for this or not.

Tonight delivery says week of January 20th. Nissan is doing something with our accounts everyday it seems.

Here it is - the City of Seattle DPD Client Assistance Memo - http://www.seattle.gov/DPD/Publications/CAM/cam132.pdf

It was posted yesterday. I gave two pieces of feedback to the city.

1) the need for some sort of information on here about a emergency on/off switch
2) the permit requirements may confuse consumers to believe that level 1 (120v/15amp - NEMA connector - trickle) charging requires a permit as well. We only have the one that comes with the car for now but I could see a company like Leviton coming out with a wall mounted level 1 charger as well. Something usable for the folks that do the 10-20 miles per day of travel and don't want to pay the price for a level 2 charger. I think it would be good for the city CAM to be explicit about this.

Any other thoughts that someone thinks I should pass along - please send me your feedback via PM. Probably not something worth derailing the rest of the Pacific NW thread for.

P

Back